Originally Posted by ErBrown
Thanks for sharing SailorMed. ......... Have you been happy with them from a performance perspective?
Concerning Performance I can only give you my observations. Draw your own conclusions.
I installed a Victron Energie BMV 600S a year before installing the solar panels
to get a feeling of what our energy requirements are. The shunt is installed to measure what goes in and out of the batteries. The solar panels
are connected before the shunt, so the 600S measures input into the batteries from the solar panels.
2 Sunpowers @327W= 654W installed.
Panels installed fixed horizontally, you only get around 70% of installed capacity = 458W
1. Upon first connexion I got 26,4A flowing into the batteries, I had intentionally not charged the batteries for some time. This was midday here in the south of France
. 26A @ 12V= 316W.
The question now is, were the panels not capable of supplying more, or were the batteries not capable of absorbing more? I don' know.
2. Since the initial hookup on 10/6/2015 I have switched off the dock charger
all summer long.
3. I spend nearly all the summer in the marina because I had a motorbike accident
and broke my shoulder. (The other party was declared 100% responsible). So I have not been able to do a lot of mooring
4. During the whole summer Fridge and Freezer
were on all the time. In the early morning the batteries were discharged 60-70 Amps.
5. Absorption at 14.4V went to float at 13,7V in the afternoon, so batteries were topped of.
6. Once a month the MPPT
controller did an equalization
at 15,1V. I only observed this once, you have to be in front of the 600S to see this.
All in all I am satisfied with the installation
, although I have not been able to demonstrate that the panels are capable of generating something close to 450W. Maybe if I discharge my batteries very low, but I do not want to jeopardise battery
life just for this purpose.
I think somebody will jump in with the remark that I am mentioning Amps when I should be talking Amphours, but I think you will get the message regardless.