Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2010, 13:48   #1

Boat: 1975 Ericson 25
6vdc Battery Boxes

I plan to install two Trojan T-105 6V golf cart batteries in my boat. I have looked at two different Dual 6V battery boxes, one made by Noco, the other by Blue Sea Systems / Bonar Plastics. These heavy duty boxes and a sort of pricey, being $100 or more a piece. I would opt for either one of these, but I am facing some space issues.

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever used individual (single) battery boxes to contain each battery in a two battery (or more) bank. The box I am looking at is the Noco, 6V Single Battery Box, which sells for about $10 on the Defender website. This is a USCG approved box, but is of a normal duty grade, as opposed to the commerical grade of the dual boxes mentioned above.

The main thing I am concerned about is the ability to link the the two single 6Vs into a one single 12V bank. Do these boxes allow for the running the appropriate connecting wires?

Thanks for your help,

davisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:19   #2

Boat: 42' Cascade Custom Cutter "Sanctuary"
It takes no more wire space to hook batteries in series than it does to parallel them. In fact it is actually easier. You can place each battery anywhere you want, and need only connect them together with one wire from the positive terminal on one battery to the negative terminal on the other. The other terminal on each battery is your positive and negative that is wired to your switch/distribution panel.
However, I do not know that I would trust a $10 battery box - USCG approved or not. If I did use them, I would make sure they are securely tied down. The last thing you need is a couple of batteries bouncing around your cabin.
I have two much larger 6v batteries on my boat (370ah, 113 lb. ea.) I built my own boxes from plywood and fiberglass so I could securely attach them to a substantial structural member. They cost more than $10 each, but I never have to worry about them coming out of the boxes even if I turtle the boat.
By the way, I lived in Charleston, SC (Mt. Pleasant, actually) from '84-93'. Nice place.

Daedalusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
'anywhere you want'?

not recommended. both boxes should be in the same space so they maintain the same temperature
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Bouncing batteries are quite the bad afternoon for sure. At 70 lbs one in the head might be fatal. Inside a battery box or not. Using single or double boxes I don't see is the issue. The boxes alone don't actually secure them nor do they require seals. The batteries do need to vent some place. You can secure the batteries in most any way you feel good about. The boxes are to contain any spills as you really would not want that loose about the boat either.

I don't see that the boxes would limit or aid in the connections. Finding an appropriate place with short distances to the main panel and alternator would be desirable. The large cables required for such a large DC load and longer lengths get quite thick and expensive. The price could easily be more than the boxes after you add up all the bits. You need to do the math on the big picture if you have a cost constaint.
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, battery box, t-105, trojan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: