Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-04-2012, 09:46   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: 6V Batteries

I recall a PS piece where the PS folks cut apart a bunch of batteries. Some had nicely formed plates fully packed with lead dioxide and spongy lead and others had warped plates or plates where the lead dioxide was never put in manufacture.

What does this all mean? It meant hat you often get what you pay for. The QC in some batteries was poor. If the manufacture will not reject plates that have not been fully populated with lead dioxide what else might be overlooked?

If a trojan has 30 holes to a costco's 24 perhaps something like this might be the cause. Of course I don't really know. YMMV

I'm not actually promoting trojans. I did have a set that lasted 8 years and I currently use Deka with about 5 years on them (4 GC batteries).

I would use Rolls if I were heading out for a long time. Something in the L16 footprint. And I would expect them to last 10 years or more.

It comes down to plate size and QC.

Oh by the way the battery with large sections of missing lead dioxide was an Exide.

REgards

Old 22-04-2012, 11:32   #17
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
Been using 6v cheap golf cart batteries for 23 years of cruising. I replace them every 6 or 7 years, but never because they have been close to failure. Batteries are not complicated, mystical things--lead and acid in a plastic case. I have no idea why folks pay enormous sums for heavily marketed marine cosmic batteries. Yes you have to check them for water and charge them with some regularity. I suspect that marketers have a field day with folks who have too much money to spend or those who blame equipment for their own lack of maintenance or skill. IMHO the same holds true for the periodically introduced "new always sets perfectly anchor", and the refrigeration systems that use nearly NO electricity" we get every few years from the marketing folks. Helps pay for the magazines and boat shows we go to, so I guess all is not lost.
Next time around will be lead acid for us.
We went AGM and yes, they are way over-hyped.

Old 22-04-2012, 11:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
I just bought 4 new Trojan T-105's yesterday after getting 6 years out of my previous ones. Six years is the best I've ever done with a bank of batteries. I've heard of people getting 10 -12 years out of them, but I've never come close to getting that out of any brand battery.

One of these days, I want to try out the Mastervolt slimline batteries. I have a perfect spot for them aboard, but they are pricey and I've heard of folks only getting 3 years out of them. That's not enough bang for the buck for me.

We're on year six with Wal*Mart/Johnson Controls batteries... Still test tremendously well... It's often all about how you use and care for them.... t105's should easily go longer than 6... I have a customer on year 8 with Sam's Club/Energizer/Johnson Controls 6V batts...

Wal*Mart Battery Musings & Observations (LINK)
Old 22-04-2012, 12:03   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
i have a pair of interstate U2200 6v deep cycle batteries that are working great.

Those batteries used to be made by US Battery for Interstate. US Battery still makes the US2200XC and they are an excellent top quality battery. I actually prefer them over Trojan T105's.

US Battery US2200XC

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: