Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2013, 16:31   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
63 Foot Long Anchor Light Switch

Two years ago I switched my double bayonet incandescent anchor light for a bright LED with the same double bayonet base and a small fraction of the amp requirement. I was surprised to find that after just six months it failed to function. I exchanged it for another similar LED that worked well and, in addition, I found that the lamp I removed worked fine. Sometime later my second LED quit working. This time I went up my mast with some emory paper taped around the end of a pencil so I could clean the contacts and then rubbed in some GB Ox-Guard anti oxidation compound to insure good connection. Five months later the anchor light stopped working again. I was standing on my bow looking up at the dark spot before rigging my stand-by light when I plucked my forestay like a huge 63' guitar string and the vibration did the trick. My light was on and it remained on through the night. So, now I will admit that over the last month, I've turned on my anchor light about half a dozen times, not always, by grabbing my headstay and pulling hard with a quick release. I won't have the mast down soon and I don't have much space to work well with changing the double bayonet receptacle in the air. I have also had a couple other items that sometimes function with an impact stimulus! Has anyone found a solvent, oil, anti-oxidation or mystery magic spray that has kept them from doing some ritual like plucking their headstay?
Old 25-10-2013, 17:15   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: 63 Foot Long Anchor Light Switch

I filled my LED anchor light socket with lanolin grease before inserting the bulb, as I do with all connections on the boat. Never had issues.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 19:02   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: 63 Foot Long Anchor Light Switch

Bayonet fixtures are notorious for poor connection- the contact areas are very small. When you have the mast down, change the socket to a more contact-solid type. Before then, it sounds like you have it figured out.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor