Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 20:08   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
6 Volt Batteries in Series - Charging Issues?

I am thinking of changing out my 2 Group 27 deep cycles to 4 6 volt golf cart batteries to get more amp hours at a reasonable cost with a relatively easy install weight-wise as compared to upgrading to 4Ds. 2 Group 31s won't increase my capacity that much.

I'd appreciate anyone who has done this and I am especially concerned that my charger (which works well now) will charge 2 6 volt batteries in series the same it charges a single 12 volt batteries. Thoughts?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:18   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: 6 Volt Batteries in Series - Charging Issues?

The short answer is - no problem. Your 12V batteries are just 6 x 2V cells in series, the 6V are 3 cells instead. As long as everything is the same size/type this is easy.

If you want to get really detailed there are a couple of threads around here about the best way to make the series/parallel and power take off connections.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:25   #3

Boat: csy 37

A really worthwhile upgrade. Just remember to wire the batteries correctly. Your charger wont know the difference except that it will take longer - you will have 450AH capacity instead of maybe 200. Dont even think of 4D or 8D - too heavy to handle and most are not really deep cycle.

There's a good reason why most cruisers use golf cart batteries.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 23:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthardin View Post
I am thinking of changing out my 2 Group 27 deep cycles to 4 6 volt golf cart batteries to get more amp hours at a reasonable cost with a relatively easy install weight-wise as compared to upgrading to 4Ds. 2 Group 31s won't increase my capacity that much.

I'd appreciate anyone who has done this and I am especially concerned that my charger (which works well now) will charge 2 6 volt batteries in series the same it charges a single 12 volt batteries. Thoughts?
A 12 volt battery is 6 2 volt battery cells internally wired in series. Two six volt batteries wired in series with a jumper wire between the batteries are no different. Only issue is if there is something wrong with the jumper cable that makes for a lot of resistance. Good mechanically crimped ends, tinned ample gauge wire and well snugged terminal connections pretty much take care of that problem. If you need more amps and go with a series/parallel set up to get 12 volts at 440 amps or however many sets of batteries you string together, they should be located close to each other. The jumper wire has some resistance and long runs will affect the batteries unless they are properly sized. Properly sized means huge as you are talking a bunch of amps that need to get through the cable with minimum resistance.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 00:46   #5

how big is your current charger? might want to upgrade as well if it's really small.

I'd want atleast 60a with 4 golf carts.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 04:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Scott.

Yes, the charger should work as well /w 2 x 6V as it did /w a 1 x 12V.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 04:27   #7

Boat: Beneteau 343

I appreciate the replies. I have a 3 bank 20a charger. It has worked well for 6 years for 170 AH via 2 G27 deep cycles plus a starting battery. I have a switch that takes the starting battery out of a play to target all juice to house. Other than the charger the starting batt is completely isolated from house batts. I like this setup for simplicity with the logic that I have means to deal with a failing starting batt (jumper cables, a $100 jump starter, TowBoat US) and I don't plan on letting the starting get in trouble in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 05:09   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Ideally with flooded lead acid batts you want a charger that can deliver a bulk phase charging current equal to 20% of the rated capacity of the bank. 10% is a bit light. Less, well, it will work but that's far from ideal. You don't want to charge too gently, especially in the bulk charge stage. With 4 golf cart batts in series/parallel you will likely have a 440ah bank. I would consider a beefier charger. What you got will work but likely with a performance hit.

My propulsion bank is 8 golf cart batts in series. Higher quality batts would be cool but I got these waaaay cheap, at Sams Club. $85 each. Best bang for the buck. They are so much easier to handle than 4D, too.

With more connections, it is increasingly important to pay attention to those connectiins, and the cables. Bigger is better. Don't hook up with 12ga wire lol! Go with at least 4ga and bigger if you ever have any high current loads. I often have over 50 amps going out, and so I use 2/0 cable for jumpers, to my controller, and from controller to motor.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:39   #9

Do not use wing-nuts to connect to poles. Use solid nuts which you can really tighten to avoid overheating connections. Cover (protect) all your positive battery terminals to prevent short circuits.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 07:42   #10

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Been using 4 golfcarts since 2001 with no issues. I have a stock Yanmar 3gm 30 alternator and a Freedom 1000 inverter/charger and have never had any issues in 13-14 years. I do need to watch the water level and check that every few weeks or so, use distilled water. When at the dock and not plugged in I have a small flexible solar panel, keeps the voltage at about 13.1 to 13.3.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 07:46   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthardin View Post

It's already been explained about two six volt batteries in series being electrically identical to a twelve volt battery.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the amp hours doubles though. Two six volt 100 AH batteries wired in series will provide twelve volts but still only 100 AH.
Old 31-10-2014, 08:24   #12

Boat: csy 37

Two things.
Golf cart batts are around 225 amp, 6 volts, each battery. So a pair of them will still give you 225 amps, but at 12 volts. Two pairs will give you 450 amps at 12 volts.
Keep a gallon jug of DISTILLED water nearby and check water level in the batts at least monthly - more if you use them a lot. Distilled water is $1 a gallon at most supermarkets.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 08:37   #13

Golf Cart 6V Battery Wiring Golf Cart batts re-positioning & wiring diagrams
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 17:53   #14

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post

I have used six Trojan 105 six volts on my sailboat and they work beautifully. I have also used two Lifeline 8d AGM battery's that cost a small fortune. The Trojan 105 worked better lasted longer
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging