Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-06-2012, 13:17   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
Re: 50 amp vs 30 amp Marina Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
We started cruising almost two years ago and now have a bag full of adapters... Our boat has two 30a/125v and one 50a/125v shore power connections. Yes, I know, but Catalina thought that was best...

Anyway, in our non-scientificsurvey we have found that most new marinas carry 50a/250v & 30a/125v shorepower connectors. Some even carry 50a/125v, but not very often. The older marinas typically have one or two 30a/125v shorepower plugs. Finally, some of the real old marinas have 20a/125v plugs.

The adapter used most by us is the Marinco Y-Pigtail. It has a 50a/250v male plug and two female 30a plugs.. It basically takes the 250v dock power and makes two 30a/125 plugs. hen we power mange our boat.

Marinco has a pigtail for every occasion and West Marine Advis is helpful.. here is a link:

The West Advisor: Shore Power
There are 2 types of Y adapters--the Y plugs into 50 amps/250V dockpower and splits it into two 120V 30 female plugs. The Reverse Y plugs into 2 separate 30 amp/120V dockpower outlets and gives you a 30 amp at 250V

(The West Marine description of the Reverse Y is wrong)

Old 15-06-2012, 13:56   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop

Yeah, and be real careful when using Y-adapters that plug into 50A/220VAC shorepower. There is a very real danger of meltdown if you're not careful

Each of those 30A female connectors can be overloaded without any shore power circuit protection. The breakers on the dock are 50A. Depending on how your boat is wired, it's quite possible to try to pull 50A @ 120VAC through EACH of the two 30A cords. This would cause a meltdown and, quite possibly, a fire.

Remember, in any case, that 30A connectors are not really capable of carrying 30A continuous. They are a horrible ancient design and unless brand new (both the cord ends and the receptacle ends), polished, tight, and correctly connected they will heat up with a 30A load. Much better to rate them at 24A maximum, and keep them clean and tight.

Moreover, should you lose a neutral due to a loose wire, corrosion, breakage or burn, etc., you could have 240VAC on a 120VAC boat circuit. That tends to spoil your whole day, not to say what happens to your 120VAC appliances :-)

Bill

Old 15-06-2012, 14:06   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblackman View Post
First, thanks for all the replies.
My conclusion is that the service here is 30 amps at 110V
I am using an adapter to connect my 50A/220V cable to the hook up.
The hookup allows 2 flat pins and one with a bend towards the center.

It "looks like" I have 220V on my panel, because my panel shows two active "110V legs" just like it does when we have 50A/220V service. But apparently that is not a correct interpretation.

The bottom line is that I will fire up a generator later today so my wife can do the washing. Either way, the frig is running and the beer is cold.

Thanks to all, BOB

I'm pretty sure that all 30 amp is 110. It has been everywhere I've been (not extensive in 19 months of shore power, I'll grant you.)

I prefer 30 to 50, and here's why. I have two 30 amp shore power outlets. I use one for the boat, and the other one is strictly for my AC or cooking. I don't ever have to draw high amperage through my boat's wiring, whivh is old. The rest of my electrical use is light.
Old 15-06-2012, 17:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
There are 2 types of Y adapters--the Y plugs into 50 amps/250V dockpower and splits it into two 120V 30 female plugs. The Reverse Y plugs into 2 separate 30 amp/120V dockpower outlets and gives you a 30 amp at 250V

(The West Marine description of the Reverse Y is wrong)
You may or may not get 250V with the Reverse Y. Depends on whether the two 110V 30A dock outlets you plug into are the same phase or not.

If the two 30A 110V outlets are the same phase ie. the same hot leg of a 250V AC supply then you will just have 110V output. The two outlets have to be opposite phase or two different hot legs of a 250V supply line to the dock to give you 250V on output of the reverse Y adapter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: