Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 13:50   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: .5 amp draw. All is off.

Just for yucks...Is your negative on the battery (or engine block) bonded to a thru-hull?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:43   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Just for yucks...Is your negative on the battery (or engine block) bonded to a thru-hull?

Stray current?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:34   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Possibly or grid leak from another boat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 19:10   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
The victron has a shunt on the negative lead to the house bank. It should read everything if the installer made sure that all negative leads feed into the shunt and then one lead goes from the shunt to the battery.
I understand about the shunt being in the negative side of the circuit. To me, direct connection implies both sides of the load being direct, not just the positive, and in that case it would not show on the monitor.

Jim
Old 30-04-2014, 16:24   #35

Boat: Mariner 36

Took me 4 days to get back on board. Two separate ammeters found zero load (yes I trend to obsessive compulsive). That felt good.
I synchronized the monitor Sunday. At the time the batteries were about 85% full (reading 12.55v) Over the last 96 hours, if the phantom 0.5A draw were actual, there would have been a 48A draw off the bank (22%). The voltage should have dropped to 12.44. It never moved.
I phoned Victron and asked Justin if he had knowledge of their monitors going out the door with a 0.5A discrepancy. He said "it happens".
Now I'm looking forward to zeroing the display and moving on to the charge side of this project. That should give me +30A per day and I can't wait to get started. It's going to be a good season. Thanks CF.
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 16:28   #36
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for the update, it is always good to hear how this issues finally get resolved
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 18:41   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I phoned Victron and asked Justin if he had knowledge of their monitors going out the door with a 0.5A discrepancy. He said "it happens". "

So much for finely calibrated highly accurate and precise equipment.

Sounds like putting a piece of electrical tape over the right side of the decimal point would fix the display, too. (sigh)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner36bob View Post
Took me 4 days to get back on board. Two separate ammeters found zero load (yes I trend to obsessive compulsive). That felt good.
I synchronized the monitor Sunday. At the time the batteries were about 85% full (reading 12.55v) Over the last 96 hours, if the phantom 0.5A draw were actual, there would have been a 48A draw off the bank (22%). The voltage should have dropped to 12.44. It never moved.
I phoned Victron and asked Justin if he had knowledge of their monitors going out the door with a 0.5A discrepancy. He said "it happens".
Now I'm looking forward to zeroing the display and moving on to the charge side of this project. That should give me +30A per day and I can't wait to get started. It's going to be a good season. Thanks CF.
Told you, congrats on getting past it
Old 04-05-2014, 17:05   #39

How about a NMEA2000 buss? Many people leave a NMEA2000 buss powered all the time.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:39   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Same here - Mine is the battery combiner relay. The system wants to hold it on all the time. Soon to be gone.
Just a heads-up before you discard your Combiner, Yandina Combiners draw no current when off.
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote