Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2017, 04:49   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Re: 3 Battery banks and 1 MPPT charge controller?

Bear with me, why can I not charge all 6 100A/h batteries of my 3 battery banks if I link them all via my isolator switches by connecting my portable 200Watt solar panels (2x100Watt) mppt regulated, by connecting positive to last battery and negative to last battery.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:55   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Re: 3 Battery banks and 1 MPPT charge controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Bear with me, why can I not charge all 6 100A/h batteries of my 3 battery banks if I link them all via my isolator switches by connecting my portable 200Watt solar panels (2x100Watt) mppt regulated, by connecting positive to last battery and negative to last battery.
I wonder why noone replied here. i repeat three battery banks with three battery isolator switches, it has been suggested to me switch all switches to both when solar charging, connect mppt to extreme plus on last battery of ultimate bank, and negative on last battery of other side ultimate bank.
Advise please, is it acceptable to do. When starting the engine Indo have the battery switch setting to 1 on the one bank.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:04   #33

Boat: St Francis 50
3 Battery banks and 1 MPPT charge controller?

Twin boat gave you very good advice. Route all charging sources to your house bank then use auto combiners to make/break starter and windlass batteries. We use BEP DVSR (digital voltage sensing relays) for that purpose which connect when the voltage is between 13.7-12.2V otherwise remain separated. These can also be fitted wth remote push buttons for an emergency manual combine.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, mppt