Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-02-2016, 13:25   #1

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
3 Batteries and Switch

I would like to hook up 2 deep cell, and one cranking battery (total 3 battery system) for sailboat with 50 hp diesel. Just wondering if there has been a thread I could refer to or would appreciate a wiring diagram for this and the best battery switch (all just for starters) in this process (the basics). I have simple boat set up with panel for vhf, radar, running lights, anchor light. Also have cabin lights... no frills like refridgeration, ssb etc. PM is fine. Many thanks
Old 02-02-2016, 13:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Re: 3 Batteries and Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
I would like to hook up 2 deep cell, and one cranking battery (total 3 battery system) for sailboat with 50 hp diesel. Just wondering if there has been a thread I could refer to or would appreciate a wiring diagram for this and the best battery switch (all just for starters) in this process (the basics). I have simple boat set up with panel for vhf, radar, running lights, anchor light. Also have cabin lights... no frills like refridgeration, ssb etc. PM is fine. Many thanks
Here you go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic12VDCr2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	118207

There are dozens of threads and posts on this basic issue, but the above diagram encapsulates best practice and a very reliable and versatile setup.

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: