Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2018, 15:42   #1

$2500 2000 amp hour lithium battery pack

I’m not necessarily condoning it, but the Trulio family has a detailed write up on how they have used lithium batteries from a Nissan Leaf with a victron inverter in an RV. I thought it was an interesting read.

RV Lithium Battery | Nissan Leaf modules in an RV Lithium Battery Beginning from this Morning

Lots more posts after that one.

Also, here’s a post about a guy using leaf batteries in his home solar system:
Use of Nissan Leaf battery in Solar installation. - My Nissan Leaf Forum

I figured there weren’t enough lithium battery threads!
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 16:11   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: $2500 2000 amp hour lithium battery pack

Yup.. Leaf batteries are excellent for solar projects..

However, the price isn't that attractive (for used batts). We just ordered a 400AH lithium bank with BMS for $2400 (CALB cells). That included delivery here in St. Lucia.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 16:29   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yup.. Leaf batteries are excellent for solar projects..

However, the price isn't that attractive (for used batts). We just ordered a 400AH lithium bank with BMS for $2400 (CALB cells). That included delivery here in St. Lucia.
Am I missing something? For $100 more he has 5x as much battery capacity.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 17:01   #4

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Plus the $1300 for the BMS so really about $4000 for 5x as much power. Still a good deal..... I wonder how it would work with a pair of DC welding generators on the main engines, like a Zena system, feeding it?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 17:24   #5

Great read I have been looking into making a electric saildrive .Thanks for posting
cameron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 21:39   #6

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I'm no expert, but using car batteries does pose more of a fire hazard risk.

Unlike a car, you can't easily stop your boat and get off safely.

There is a reason people use LifeP04 cells on their boat.

Not sure how your insurance company would feel or any applicable standards.

-Chris
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 21:51   #7

Imagine a hunk of lithium and water going off scary thought
cameron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 08:36   #8

Boat: Farrier F-41

Pointless, uninformed comment:
Gmcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 08:50   #9

We are Currently using Chevy volt lithium module and they are working perfectly. I have some leaf cells stored in one of the holds waiting to be installed for another project. Most of the auto batteries will work great. With the configuration I have set up, I find no need for a BMS but one would want some sort of protection.

Don’t know if the price is good or not but battery cost about 300 for 2 1/2 kilowatts hours. Or if one insisted in using an inferior measurement, 220 ah @ 12 volts. Solar controller was another 40.00 usd and a monitor an additional 35 or so.
getyourbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:35   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourbone View Post
.... Or if one insisted in using an inferior measurement, 220 ah @ 12 volts. ....
Telling the majority of other members here including a bunch of professionals that they are doing it wrong is not an auspicious start.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:40   #11

And your point is? I never said wrong. I said inferior.

Using amp hours is about like saying my boat is 37.
Most would probably assume feet as that is most likely the case but it could be inches, meters, stone...etc...
kWh gives a universal measurement and the individual reading can convert as they see fit

Just sayin’....Not judgin’ just sayin’
getyourbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:44   #12

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Since I do not have a dog in the fight (no boat) I can say this without emotion. At this stage of their development I would not attempt to use a large capacity lithium battery in a boat.
Old 14-04-2018, 14:37   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourbone View Post
And your point is? I never said wrong. I said inferior.

Using amp hours is about like saying my boat is 37.
Most would probably assume feet as that is most likely the case but it could be inches, meters, stone...etc...
kWh gives a universal measurement and the individual reading can convert as they see fit

Just sayin’....Not judgin’ just sayin’
Of course you were judging, you used the word "inferior" which involves a judgement about what is superior and what is inferior.

Also using amp-hours is not like saying your boat is 37. 37 is a number, amp-hours are units which are qualitatively different than numbers.

Rather than saying that amp-hours are an inferior unit choice which implies that those they chose that unit for expression have inferior reasoning, you should stop and wonder why it is the pervasive unit choice. . . . .

Because of wiring. Wiring is sized based on amps. Within limits it doesn't matter what voltage it carries or if it is AC or DC. Go down to your neighborhood HomeDepot, B&Q or Rona and check the stickers on all the power tools, amps is listed not watts, though watts may be on the packaging somewhere. Then stroll over to the extension cord aisle and you will find cords listed by the amps they will carry.

Most endeavors that use electricity tend to use either 1 or 2 voltages. Houses use mostly 120 or 240ac plus a couple of minor low voltage things like thermostat and doorbell.
Boats use 12v dc for most things, with some having a 120v or 240v ac system for using regular shore-side appliances.
Small aircraft use 24v dc.
Autos use 12v.

Airliners and ships tend to have more voltages but that's a different world that a forum full of amateurs like CF would not be addressing.

Given that you have to deal with amps no matter what, and the voltage is implicit using amp-hours for battery capacity is easier, it involves fewer mathematical steps and is therefore less prone to conversion mistakes.

Inverters are a specific instance where watts is preferred over amps. Inverters have different input and output voltages and amperages, so using watts prevents mistakes.

Also 2.5 kw-hr is bogus too, you should have written 7.5MJ if your really wanted to be universal. Finally it's kilowatt-hours not kilowatts hours, only the hours is plural and there should be a hyphen between the words.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 15:15   #14

Boat: Nordship 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Since I do not have a dog in the fight (no boat) I can say this without emotion. At this stage of their development I would not attempt to use a large capacity lithium battery in a boat.
Great input. What is your concern based on?
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 15:21   #15

Boat: Freedom 32

I just spent that amount to replace my house and windlass LifeLine batteries and only got 300 amps.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery