Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2009, 16:41   #1

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
24vdc Power Supplies ... and Pumps

Here's my sad story: My 12v Whale 220 diaphragm shower sump pump has died. The diaphragm and flapper valves appear to be in good shape and the motor runs. The water just goes up and down but does not empty. The motor is also blowing the 5A fuse that is recommended, but not the 10A fuse I replaced it with. Under normal circumstances I would just replace the pump, but...I'm in the beginnings of an extensive refit and will be converting the boat over to 24v, so I really don't want to be buying a new 12v pump which won't be used very long.

So I did a little research and figured the solution to my problem would be to purchase a 24v power supply which would run off shore power. Also figured I'd buy one larger than I need for the sump pump as I will be adding a transfer pump for my holding tank system in the not too distant future, thus killing two birds with one power supply stone, so to speak. The problem is, I know nothing about power supplies. What am I looking for when I go to buy one besides the obvious correct amperage? What do I want? Is there anything I don't want? I figure this would be the place to find out.

My secondary question regards the pump itself. My local chandlery favors Viking pumps claiming they are an excellent brand and very durable as well as reliable. Has that been your experience with them? I like to support local businesses when I can and these guys give me pretty respectable discounts, pretty close to what Defender would sell for.

Regards and my thanks in advance for you help.

TJ
Old 16-08-2009, 17:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What is your reason for converting over to 24VDC? As you are experiencing now, 12VDC equipment is much easier to find and because it is sold on a much larger scale, economies of scale apply. I already understand that you can have smaller sized wire for wire runs with 24VDC, but if you already have the wires runs suitable for 12VDC, then why replace it? That reason is generally why larger vessels go with 24VDC...to save the weight and the cost on the wire runs...in addition to smaller equivalent horsepower motors.

I'm not questioning your reasoning at all, just wondering what are your reasons.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 17:32   #3

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
I don't think that's quite as true as it once was. However, the reason for the conversion is the boat is on the large size (65') and was not properly wired at the onset, so whether I change the voltage or not, I still need to re-wire. Given the length of some of the runs, 24v just seemed to make a lot more sense. As I'm pricing out materials, I'm not finding the 24v option to cost much more and in many case, it doesn't cost any more at all.

Regards,

TJ