Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 19:01   #1

24 volt Victron Quattro With 12 Volt Alternator/Starter On a Cat?

Does anyone use a 24 volt house system on a boat with a 12 volt starter/engine system?

I'm thinking of how I would like to set my boat up when i get one and am interested on others peoples thoughts.

For a ~ 5kw victron Quattro system I think 24 volt house battery would be greatly prefered for current draw reasons from the battery. A ~ 5KW generator should be able to keep it charged when required.

If I stayed with a standard 12 volt system on the Yanmars, there would need to be many additional parts required to get charge from the alternator to the house batteries. More complexity, more things that can go wrong.

Perhaps an easier way would be a 24 volt alternator, and a step down to 12 volt to charge the starting batteries, and a 24 volt centerfielder.

Thirdly, a second alternator on the yanmar rated at 24 volts?

Or finally, would I be better to just use a 12 volt Victron Quattro and use twin, short, large battery leads to minimise voltage drop under heavy load?

I would like to keep the starter system independent of the Quattro for redundancy reasons.

It will be a lifepo4 house system.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:10   #2

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Re: 24 volt Victron Quattro With 12 Volt Alternator/Starter On a Cat?

I use this type of system. Both motors have a 12 v alternator charging only the starting batteries. Have a 2 nd 24v altenator on the starboard engine. I have 2 inverters
1 24 to 230
1 24 to 110

I keep a small Guest 10a marine charger on board and plug in to the inverter for an emergency charge of the starting batteries. Generator is Paguro 5kw 230v

It Works fine
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 06:19   #3
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Moonos-
Easy solution: house bank is 24V as planned and starting battery and all engine room systems; e.g., fire suppression are 12V. Install a battery to battery (B2B) charger between the house and the starting batteries. Done. One manufacture's offering is made by Sterling: 24v to 12v battery to battery charger
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 18:14   #4

Thanks guys, 2 very good examples.

It is early days so far, but I have some good ideas to look into further.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:16   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I have a 24V Victron Quattro 5KW (Option/Modification on Zanshin - Inverter/Charger) aboard for the big house bank, and have a small 12V house bank (for VHF, stereo, 12V plugs, etc.) as well as a 12V starter battery for the main engine and the generator. The main engine has both a 12V and a 24V alternator and when I run the generator the 12V systems are also charged indirectly through the 220V AC system and the batteries' respective 12V chargers.

Tags
alternator