Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 14:14   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: 2018 Wind generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve had a Silentwind for must be six years now. Works great. Have had zero problems with it and have done almost zero maintenance. Output is pretty much to published specs. Much better than my old Air-x, and many magnitudes quieter.

It isn’t “silent” — no windgen is. But mine sits just aft of my cockpit, on a ~12’ mast. Most of the time I don’t even notice it. I carry on normal conversation with it running in 20+ knots. No need to raise my voice. More than a few boat lengths away and it is completely silent (this, based on me going around and asking anchor mates — most were even unaware we had a windgen).

I considered a D400 and a SW350 when making my decision. Both seem like excellent choices for noise and output. I would have gone with a D400, but it is a lot heavier, and quite a bit more expensive. I forget why I didn’t choose the SW350 — price perhaps...
The SuperWind is about $400 more than the D400. But you do get what you pay for in a SuperWind350.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:06   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have the Rutland 1200. Mounted on 2.7m post secured to my transom arch with a rubber-bushed mounting kit available from Silentwind. In the UK the kit is marketed by Allspars . I got the Rutland, 3 x 50W solar and MPPT controller from Marlec Engineering, UK. The controller handles both wind and solar. The Rutland starts producing at about 8 Kn of wind. Reaches max out put at 30kn above which it has an automatic shut-down. Very quiet. A friend of mine has the Silentwind but did not use any rubber-bushed brackets. A bit noisy in the cockpit and loud humming in cabin directly beneath the deck with mounting. So noisy he turns it off when he want to sleep. That rather looses the point of a windgen since it could be producing energy at night when solar has stopped. About 50% of the paint on his Silentwind has peeled off after 4 years in the Med.
Old 13-02-2018, 06:15   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
I have the Rutland 1200. Mounted on 2.7m post secured to my transom arch with a rubber-bushed mounting kit available from Silentwind. In the UK the kit is marketed by Allspars . I got the Rutland, 3 x 50W solar and MPPT controller from Marlec Engineering, UK. The controller handles both wind and solar. The Rutland starts producing at about 8 Kn of wind. Reaches max out put at 30kn above which it has an automatic shut-down. Very quiet. A friend of mine has the Silentwind but did not use any rubber-bushed brackets. A bit noisy in the cockpit and loud humming in cabin directly beneath the deck with mounting. So noisy he turns it off when he want to sleep. That rather looses the point of a windgen since it could be producing energy at night when solar has stopped. About 50% of the paint on his Silentwind has peeled off after 4 years in the Med.
What kind of amp output are you seeing at 18 knots?

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:32   #19

Boat: Hylas 44

Wind generator are efficient for navigation at night . Solar panels is the first choice of most cruisers, even those that already have a wind generator shut it down in Anchorage in the Caribbean.
The installation cost is something not to be forgotten.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:39   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound44 View Post
Wind generator are efficient for navigation at night . Solar panels is the first choice of most cruisers, even those that already have a wind generator shut it down in Anchorage in the Caribbean.
The installation cost is something not to be forgotten.
I never turn mine off. Can't hear it so no need to reduce charging.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:44   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I think Marley show à graph on their website across complete wind range. An optional extra is a small remote display which you can put at the chart table somewhere. Gives the voltage of your 2 battery banks, instantaneous power from each of solar and wind, plus accumulated amps & watts for each. In the Med i find i get 90% of the power comes from the solar.
Old 13-02-2018, 08:03   #22

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
A friend of mine has the Silentwind but did not use any rubber-bushed brackets. A bit noisy in the cockpit and loud humming in cabin directly beneath the deck with mounting. So noisy he turns it off when he want to sleep. That rather looses the point of a windgen since it could be producing energy at night when solar has stopped. About 50% of the paint on his Silentwind has peeled off after 4 years in the Med.
I had exactly the same problem with my 2 SilentWind generators and I had the rubber-bushed brackets. The noise was mostly from unbalanced blades. After balancing (and using blue locktite on everything), the noise would be reduced for a week or two. Also, my generators had defective bearing and casings from the factory... The replacement assemblies were better for a couple of months. Very poor quality control. The factory authorized Silentwind dealer/installer who came to troubleshoot was absolutely no help at all. He said my installation was fine, which meant that the Silentwind gens suck...

I would also turn them off at night to sleet. Very annoying.

The paint peeled of after 2 seasons on mine.

Never again...
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:25   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I had exactly the same problem with my 2 SilentWind generators and I had the rubber-bushed brackets. The noise was mostly from unbalanced blades. After balancing (and using blue locktite on everything), the noise would be reduced for a week or two. Also, my generators had defective bearing and casings from the factory... The replacement assemblies were better for a couple of months. Very poor quality control. The factory authorized Silentwind dealer/installer who came to troubleshoot was absolutely no help at all. He said my installation was fine, which meant that the Silentwind gens suck...

I would also turn them off at night to sleet. Very annoying.

The paint peeled of after 2 seasons on mine.

Never again...
Well, like I said, six years with zero problems. I guess I’m lucky. I do think the noise thing is about the mounting.

BTW, I even made a video of my Silentwind running while I was sitting in the cockpit. It’s in another wind gen thread.
Old 13-02-2018, 09:34   #24

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, like I said, six years with zero problems. I guess I’m lucky. I do think the noise thing is about the mounting.
You are lucky! Mine had manufacturing defects but the replacement parts made little difference. The Silentwind rep said my installation was fine and that it was normal to have noise & vibration... I guess they did not want to take responsibility for two crappy gens. I gave up.
Next time, I am getting the D400.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 20:59   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The D400 is a good unit but a side to side comparison to a SuperWind350 and there's no comparison on build. Everyone of the SuperWind350's we had here during Irma made it through 100+ mph winds, many that were never turned off during the storm.
Hi Tellie, thanks for the recomendation!

It has been interesting reading this thread and others where the value of Wind Generators is debated over the ease of Solar.

After 6 weeks of almost steady Monsoonal Rains and squalls, I am taking a fresh look at whether (in my application) it is worth buying and installing a Wind Gen, to complement Solar, versus just turning on the Generator when the Solar cannot keep up?

I am maxed out on Solar with 4 x 327W SunPower Solar that average 36 Amps input at 24v for about six hours daily via my Outback 80
With the SW350,
Assuming an average of 15 Knots in NE Monsoon (4 months) I would see maybe 12a @ 24v
10 Knots in SW Monsoon (4 months) perhaps 6 amps
In the daylight Monsoon rains I am seeing about 8 amps on my Solar array.
Now if I turn on my 10Kw generator, I can bulk up batteries with 2 Victron chargers that produce about 120amps @ 24V.

I am guessing that the Cost and hassle of installing the SW 250 WindGen would be about USD3,800?

Are my numbers fairly accurate?

With my Schooner Rig and Long Booms, it would need to be mounted on the Mast..making any maintenance not very easy

Given what you all see…Is a Wind Gen worth it for my situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Gen on Aft Mast.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	174471  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 21:16   #26

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I saw a big....70-75ft schooner with two wind generators on poles up from the deck beside the main mast, high enaugh to be safe and obviously out of the way of the sails and gear, I looked hard and it looked like it worked well........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 05:18   #27

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

In a Lead-Acid battery scenario, the great advantage of a wind turbine is the ability to make power at night, thereby reducing depth of discharge and extending battery life. In a solar only system, you start your battery discharge at about 5pm, and don't start your recharge for about 12 hours. That's a long time without a power source. The further you discharge your batteries, the shorter their life (I'm sure everyone already knows that).
If a wind turbine provides 50% of your nighttime power, that can make a huge difference to your terminal DOD and tend your battery life significantly.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 06:11   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Masonic
Weighing pros and cons for my boat only.

I have a large 24v house bank (1040Ah) so if caught up during the day with Solar, I only use about 7% SOC overnight at anchor.

Have no experience living with a Wind Gen but comparing their limited output of about 8amps going into the 24v batteries, versus burning about 1.7 liters an hour on my 10kw Generator, to charge batteries.

Is it worth it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180728-203753_Google.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	174488

Cost wise:
Figure $2 an hour for diesel

A wind Gen installed cost about $3800-$4000
So @ $4000 that buys 2000 hrs of diesel.

Convenience wise:
The Gen is always available and producing
It can simultaneously heat water, , make water, refreezes fridge/freezer plates while pumping 120amps into House Bank.

So basically, for my loads it seems to me that the wind gen does not deliver enough output to justify the hassle

Am I missing something?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 08:27   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

We’ve been sitting out a Newfoundland gale these past four days, and my wing gen (Silentwind) has once again proven its worth. Four days of marginal solar, but howling winds, has left us in fine electrical shape.

I’ve been grumbling of late about whether I would bother to replace the wing gen if it dies. Solar normally does ~85% of the electrical lifting on our boat, but it’s times likes these when I am reminded how nice it is to have both.
Old 28-07-2018, 09:04   #30

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Masonic
Weighing pros and cons for my boat only.

I have a large 24v house bank (1040Ah) so if caught up during the day with Solar, I only use about 7% SOC overnight at anchor.

Have no experience living with a Wind Gen but comparing their limited output of about 8amps going into the 24v batteries, versus burning about 1.7 liters an hour on my 10kw Generator, to charge batteries.

Is it worth it?

Attachment 174488

Cost wise:
Figure $2 an hour for diesel

A wind Gen installed cost about $3800-$4000
So @ $4000 that buys 2000 hrs of diesel.

Convenience wise:
The Gen is always available and producing
It can simultaneously heat water, , make water, refreezes fridge/freezer plates while pumping 120amps into House Bank.

So basically, for my loads it seems to me that the wind gen does not deliver enough output to justify the hassle

Am I missing something?

You probably haven't had to lug 5 gallon containers of diesel half a mile down a road, out the dock to the dinghy, out to the boat, over the side, and pour into the tank, only to do it all over again many times. Versus making power from wind?
A lot of the places worth sailing to don't have easy fuel availability.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator