Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2019, 14:40   #1

20 Volt USB power banks for mobile phones adaptor for LIDL power drill battery packs

LIDL a EU based food shop chain which sells discount electrical items like power drills supplies a interesting USB adaptor that fits onto the 20 volt 2 amp hour cordless drill battery power packs .

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/123705678152...&ul_noapp=true

These battery power packs are in this time a 20 volt 2ah power pack that comes with a suitable tool like cordless drill or compressors shears or similar cordless tools across the LIDL range called Parkside tools.

I bought a power pack and charger without a drill or tool costing €30 ( ~$35 USA). Then I bought the USB adaptor cost about ~€6 ( ~$ 7 USA ) . The adaptor fits on top of the battery pack and has two USB slots and small LED light .

When you work out the capacity it is over 2000 mha because 20 volts dropped down to 5 volts means the original 2 ah is multiplied by more than 2 .

I can now recharge or better umbilical cord run both my smart phone and my tablet at the same when I go away from boat for extended periods

Using a double adaptor USB it can probably do extra stuff like also a camera run off a USB as well as long as total demand can't exceed the maximum demands of ~2 amps .

A fully charged tablet and smart phone will only probably demand ~1 amp leaving another amp to spare . Needles to say a run down near zero charge in mobile phone and Tablet will be lot more demanding probably closer to ~3 amps demands so this might overload the drill packs ability to supply the demands but I suspect the Li Ion cells are rated to ~2C which means the batteries can supply ~4 amps . However the fuses and circuits might be limited to ~ 2amps within the drill packs casing.

Many restaurants that let you use thier WiFi often don't have suitable power outlets to hook into to keep your phones cameras and tablets in top form in case your away from boat for several days

Yes I know there exists various other flat pack purpose built Li Ion mobile power packs that do these jobs but I never had much luck with them . Often the recharger USB slot for them is a micro USB and these seem to break and ruin the packs ability to recharge easily
( Yes experts can repair the packs but it isn't so easy to repair the micro USB fitting) .

I know I got four of them all lasted only a few months and micro USB broke off . I intend to reporpose all these battery packs to make one extra large pack out of the four packs all 10,000 amp hour packs and make a 40,000 mha pack . You can never have enough battery power on a boat

The big advantage of the power drill 20 amp packs is they are very robust and use a 240 volt charger unit that isn't a Micro USB slot to recharge with . Also importantly the recharge time is less than 1 hour as apposed to Typical mobile phone packs often more than 2 hours for 4000 mha packs and 8 hours for the 10,000 mha packs

Extra Power drill packs without charger cost €20 ~$ 25

Using my 300 Watt invertor it can drive the charger to recharge these packs .

RC model plane users can source 12 volt chargers

More adventurious electrical minded folk can look to use many of these packs to drive their electric engines on their tenders at interesting lower prices than marine shops would charge for power packs

Be aware sourcing Li Ion cells from the USA is very difficult as the telephone number fines and multi year jail time risks for Li Ion cell vendors exporting HAZMAT Lithium makes it unlikely they will export the batteries to the rest of the planet . Therefore finding cheap Li Ion cells in the EU for low prices is hard .
Typical costs per loose cell in the EU is often north of ~€ 15
Cost of loose cells in the USA tend to be north of ~$5 a cell

Cells can be got from China.
But claims of $1 with ~3500 MHa plus cells are most often SCAM sites

Prices vary the capacity size of the cells which vary from ~1500 mha to ~2800 mha

The LIDL drill 20 volt 2amp pack is most likely to be 2000 mha cells and 5of them in a 5S1P pack makes this ~€4 a cell

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/123705678152...&ul_noapp=true
bouncycastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 15:22   #2

Re: 20 Volt USB power banks for mobile phones adaptor for LIDL power drill battery p

Link for LIDL parkside 20v li ion drill battery pack adaptor and also YouTube review

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Parkside-Cordl...1/222993707721

https://youtu.be/bEtEsTaowHo
Old 13-04-2019, 18:23   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: 20 Volt USB power banks for mobile phones adaptor for LIDL power drill battery p

Lidl is an Aldi offshoot, from when the owner brothers split over the morality of selling tobacco. Trader Joe's also in the US.

Here there is never any consistency in what they stock for hardware etc non-food items, randomly come and go.

Such adaptation of tool batteries is pretty easy to do for all kinds of portable powerpack purposes, including recharging USB - based gadgets.

Ryobi's One+ line has incredible versatility and permanent stability in the form factor, if you buy from Home Depot great warranty service too. Even a great source for the raw cells inside compared to ordering from China. 12V "car chargers" even for 6-8 at a time are available as well as shore power.

Plenty of HowTo's online for DIY-minded folks.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 13:27   #4

I found a interesting product comparison youtube that looks the 20 volt Li Ion Parkside adapter with battery versus a similar 20 volt Bosch product

Turn on the english text to get the story from French youtube

The result show Bosch is probably superior in important ways when you use the battery packs for power tools and superior in large tablet use but marginally better when charging mobile phones .

The Bosh product has a extra different plug that can be used to with warming cloths that use battery for keeping the wearer warm

For me the differences are marginal as My power tool use isnt often or heavy but for others this difference could be critical

I need the pack mostly to keep two mobiles phones with 2200 battery going or one cheapo $80 android 10 inch tablet with 5000 battery going

The test shows that the Bosch and Parkside are both 5 cells 20volt packs which can deliver a total of ~7000 mha on light loads like charging 3000 MHA cells

The test shows Only Bosch pack can deliver large loads on fast charge of 2.5 amps to large tablet that requires 9500 MHA and quits at ~7000 MHA

The Parkside pack cant hack 2 amp continuous demand to that same large tablet

Probable explanation is there are cheap crappy Li Ion cells and probably more pricey better Li Ion cells w hich perform better

A superior 2ooo MHA cell can discharge at close to ~3 amp and do that until empty

A less good 2000 MHA cell will discharge ok at 1 amp but will start to struggle at 2 amps demands and often quit from over heating long before it has dumped all the power in the cell

Cordless Power tools often demand full power doing real hard work and the Bosch cells will probably take it .

Cordless Parkside tools will work for light work where they are not working hard like drilling metal or similar but drive them hard the battery pack will stop long before it has used all its power in the cells

I am surprised that there is such a large diffidence in quality of the battery packs
Old 14-04-2019, 17:49   #5
cruiser

Don't be.

Exactly identical looking cells can vary enormously, in all measures of quality.

Ah stored capacity, maximum peak amps while maintaining voltage, maximum continuous much lower, lasting only 50 cycles instead of 400, or bursting into a violent explosion soon as your back is turned.

in a mobile context, or inside any living space, stick to LFP only.
Old 15-04-2019, 10:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

WARNING: USB is 5,2 Volts NOTTING ELSE!!!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 11:03   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I use a jump pack on occasion to charge my phone or iPad. I’ve also used it to jump start the Merc outboard on my center console after sitting all winter. This is similar to the one I purchased.
GOOLOO 800A Peak 18000mAh SuperSafe Car Jump Starter with USB Quick Charge 3.0 (Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine), 12V Portable Power Pack Auto Battery Booster Phone Charger Built-in LED Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748D8KT6..._PAmTCbZ414YR9
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 12:10   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Actually with the early specs, nominal is 5V even, and allow from 4.40V*up to a maximum voltage of*5.25V.

USB-C with the "PD" extensions allows support of several voltages up to 20V.
Old 15-04-2019, 18:29   #9

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Lidl is an Aldi offshoot, from when the owner brothers split over the morality of selling tobacco. Trader Joe's also in the US.
[...]

Oh dear, John. Please check your info before stating them matter-of-factly.

Lidl being an offshoot of Aldi cannot be further from the truth.

It's correct that the Albrecht brothers split their empire, one keeping the stores in the north of Germany, the other in the south.
Lidl, however, is one of their biggest competitors. Not quite the same as "offshoot", is it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidl

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 18:39   #10

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post

No need to yell or abuse exclamation marks, mate. Another case of "check your facts before posting", as USB is defined as a range from 4.4 to 5.25V, at least according to Wikipedia, which, to be honest, I trust a fair bit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Other than that, I think the OPs suggestion is an excellent idea for most cruisers.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 21:35   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Lidl is an Aldi offshoot, from when the owner brothers split over the morality of selling tobacco. Trader Joe's also in the US.. . .

Indeed not -- Lidl goes back to the 1930's and was founded by Josef Schwarz, whose son Dieter still controls the enterprise. The Schwarz family are Swabians from South Germany and have nothing to do with the Albrecht Brothers from Essen in the Ruhrgebiet. The Albrecht brothers started Aldi after the war, and then split the company into North and South in 1960, over tobacco, but apparently remained close (contrary to Internet myths).

If you understand German, there's an interesting recent movie about the Albrecht Brothers: https://streamkiste.tv/movie/die-ald...r-2018-8574808
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 22:27   #12
cruiser

Wow thanks, crossed wires there.
Old 16-04-2019, 09:41   #13

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
at least according to Wikipedia, which, to be honest, I trust a fair bit:
Agreed, my former boss refused to allow anyone to cite Wiki in a professional sitting!
Old 16-04-2019, 13:33   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Funny but when I looked at the Wiki it was more generous than what I remember from the USB association itself. Wiki said 5.0v +-0.25 volts for USB 1 and USB2.

Those are all obsolete legacy things now, USB3 (3, 3.1, 3.2, it keeps growing) specs are here now and "USB" voltage can now range to 20 volts. The old days of 5.0 volts at 500mA are still with us, but that's way behind the times.

There are way more complexities in USB power banks though. Whether they can be charged from two chargers at once, whether they support Fast Charge or USB 3.x or USB-C (which is more likely to support voltages up to 20V), all invisible to the rube, ergh, valued customer, who buys them.

Some packs will cut back if a device draws too much power, others will gladly catch fire instead. Many, perhaps damn near all, of the no-name Chinese packs have cells that are only 1000mA capacity, sometimes new cells, sometimes salvaged used ones. Check out bigclivedotcom on YouTube for some teardowns of this stuff to see how lethal--literally--some of the junk can be.

Stick to a brand like Anker or RAVpower and you'll get what the label says.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 11:40   #15

Quote:
Don't be.

Exactly identical looking cells can vary enormously, in all measures of quality.

< snip>

in a mobile context, or inside any living space, stick to LFP only.
That advise often isn't a cheap option

De Walt tools do a 20 volt. 2 amp hour lithium ferrous phosphorus type LiFePo lithium battery of the trade name A 123 which are bigger heavier and more robust than the Lithuim Ion Li ion 18650 types .
The A123 can handle up to 10 amps continuous 20 amps burst compared to average of 2 amps with 18650 types and typical 2 amp 18650 best case ~4 amps for top quality types with 5 to 6 amps in bursts with high quality 2 amp 18750 type cells

More info on 18750 here
https://commonsensehome.com/18650-battery/

The A123 types are very fire and explosion resistant even with abuse such as rapid charging in less than 5 minutes with special type chargers and can often reliabily return more than ~2000 cycle life's

Most low quality Li Ion 18650 will return low cycle life of 300 to 500 cycle with high quality returning as much as 2000 cycle life times .
You get what you pay for

However the best prices for. De Walt 20 volt 2 amp tool battery packs is ~$ 100 on eBay sales once in while with average prices that vary from ~$ 150 to ~$ 500 depending the country your in

Realistically the cheaper 18750 types used in most laptops and tool battery packs is where most mere mortals will live.

To safeguard against any fire risk putting the typical 20 volt 5 cells of 18750 type lithuims into a metal biscuit tin will be enough for people like me who can jettison the biscuit tin if it shows sign that the battery pack has caught fire .

The track record of the Lithium 18650 cells is proven to not be a great risk in low amp uses such as laptops or recharging packs for mobile phones etc

Yes in an ideal world I would buy A 123 cells only or similar good quality Lithium Iron LiFe type cells but for now the cheaper 18650 types will have to do me and I assume that will be the same for many other sailing folk

Tags
battery, phone, mob