Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 15:00   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: 20 kW generator replacement ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolake View Post
I am looking for any advice on replacing a 20 kW generator in a 1993 63' Super Sun Sport.

I would like opinions on brand and price to expect.

My current generator has 5500 hrs and needs work. The boatyard said it would cost about 4500 to repair. I am getting a second opinion as I don't trust the boatyard. They have been less than reputable before.

They had previously charged me for work on the generator and said it was working. Now it doesn't work and they just shrug and say things happen.

It will start and run if you have your finger on the preheat button, but shuts down as soon as you release the button. It sounds strong when running so it might be worth repairing.

Any thoughts as to what the issue might truly be or opinions of replacement are appreciated
More info would help as to the engine.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The engines are twin MTU 1050 hp each
autolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:33   #18

Quote:
The engines are twin MTU 1050 hp each
I thought we had been speaking 20kw genny engine not propulsion?
Old 09-10-2015, 16:33   #19

Quote:
I thought we had been speaking 20kw genny engine not propulsion?
I'm sorry. It is a Westerbeke diesel. That was in a prior post so I thought the question asked was about the propulsion for some reason
Old 10-10-2015, 03:20   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mzietlow.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:36   #21

Quote:
I'm sorry. It is a Westerbeke diesel. That was in a prior post so I thought the question asked was about the propulsion for some reason
No problem, maybe my question was ambiguous. I know nothing about Westerbeke but someone else I'm sure does.
Old 21-10-2015, 11:36   #22

I just replaced my oil sensor and sending unit. It sill only stays running until I release the preheat button. Any ideas? Oil pressure reads 50 when running
Old 21-10-2015, 13:05   #23

Quote:
I just replaced my oil sensor and sending unit. It sill only stays running until I release the preheat button. Any ideas? Oil pressure reads 50 when running

Here is a thread with a similar symptom as yours on a Westerbeke 7.2k gas version though.

-- Westerbeke gas 7.2 dies when preheat is released [Archive] - Club Sea Ray - The online home of Sea Ray boat and yacht owners worldwide

In the end it was a $170 logic board but he spent over 700 in troubleshooting to get to that diagnosis.
mzietlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 13:52   #24

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Congratulations! You have "stumped the chumps." My next call would be the water temp sensor as Smac999 has suggested. I didn't think it was this because the engine never has a chance to come up to temp but in hind sight if it is shorted it could account for a shut down.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 14:02   #25

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Another thought: Having a generator of this capacity on a boat this size tells me you couldn't enjoy a cup of tea without firing this dog up first.

If you can afford to feed those thirsty cats and have limited time each year to cruise, perhaps it's time (5,500 hours on the generator's clock?) to get a new reliable one and sell the existing one rather than deal with the potential ongoing frustration.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 14:09   #26

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
===

I think it's definitely worth repairing, you just need to find someone competent with Westerbeke engines. I'm not truly an expert on them but have had some experience. Typically the pre-heat button bypasses all of the sensors such as oil pressure and over temp. That is to allow the engine to get up to speed first. You may have a bad relay which is fairly common or you may have a problem with the oil pressure sensor. Either one could cause it to shutdown after you release the pre-heat button. If you are anywhere near Ft Myers, Florida I would highly recommend Gulf Coast Marine Electric on Ft Myers Beach. They do all of the servicing on my generators and are very good at diagnostics.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 14:19   #27

I'll try out Gulf Coast. I am currently in Ft Myers and awaiting a call back from them. I take it you had a good experience?
Old 21-10-2015, 14:20   #28

Thanks for the help.
Old 21-10-2015, 15:33   #29

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
I'll try out Gulf Coast. I am currently in Ft Myers and awaiting a call back from them. I take it you had a good experience?
===

Yes, I've been using them for over 10 years. Please let me know how it turns out for you.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 19:55   #30

you shouldn't need to be replacing sensors to test it. just a matter of either disconnected or shorting them one by one (which way you' have to figure out, you really need a wiring diagram). untill the problem no longer happens. then fix that one problem.

someone who knows what they will doing will probably find it pretty quick. there is only a few things that would stop it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, men