Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 18:14   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 2 ground wires one terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
@BCGuy #1

If you haven't figgered it out yet, here's how you wire you Rule 750 in real life.

My sketch shows the complete circuits with nothing left to guess at :-)

Cheers
TrentePieds
There may be a current'monitoring shunt between the battery (-) and the ground bus. There should generally be a fuse between the battery (+) and the positive bus.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:25   #47
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
There may be a current'monitoring shunt between the battery (-) and the ground bus. There should generally be a fuse between the battery (+) and the positive bus.
Addtionally, the fuse you mention should be rated for the max current carry capacity of the cable or buss, which ever is less.

Also, a fuse (5A in the case of the Rule 750) between the positive bus and the bilge pump (assuming the correct round circuit cable is used to have a current capacity of greater than 5A).
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:38   #48

No argument with any of the fusing instrux. The OP appeared to be uncertain about the connexion twixt the two way rocker switch and the pump itself. But as always, when you begin to fix a small thing you can wind up rewiring the whole boat if you are not careful :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 08:35   #49

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

Quote:
@BCGuy #1

If you haven't figgered it out yet, here's how you wire you Rule 750 in real life.

My sketch shows the complete circuits with nothing left to guess at :-)

Cheers
TrentePieds
Thanks TP.... pump connected ok and working. Just curious though about the unused terminal at the back of the pump (see above pics). The pump has 3 wires, as discussed (auto, manual, ground). The ground I took to the neg bus. Positive goes on terminal (per pic) right side of switch. This leaves one terminal unused (left side top and to the right of the auto/manual terminals). What is it for? I could not find the actual wiring diag for this switch anywhere btw.
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 09:52   #50

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
Thanks TP.... pump connected ok and working. Just curious though about the unused terminal at the back of the pump (see above pics). The pump has 3 wires, as discussed (auto, manual, ground). The ground I took to the neg bus. Positive goes on terminal (per pic) right side of switch. This leaves one terminal unused (left side top and to the right of the auto/manual terminals). What is it for? I could not find the actual wiring diag for this switch anywhere btw.
Your post was a bit confusing, because you said "unused terminal at the back of the PUMP..." when you actually meant the pump switch.

Anyway, the offset terminal on the back of the switch goes to ground. It's the ground for the LED in the rocker switch.

Your pump brown (AUTO) should be on the bottom switch terminal, the brown/white (MANUAL) on the top. With three position on-off-on toggles and rockers, the center terminal is common the two normally open output terminals are always the opposite of the marking on the front of the switch. In the case of a bilge pump panel switch, the MANUAL is a momentary contact, so that the switch returns to OFF when released.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:19   #51

@ BCGuy

Good to know it is working for you :-)

Brewgyver has it right - the offset terminal is for the internal illumination of the switch because in boats - unlike in cars - you cannot "ground through frame", i.e. juice has no way to get back to the battery unless you provide a wire for it to do so.

I can't tell from your pics, but if the round little gizmo on the left side of the front of the switch is a little push-button, then it will be a circuit breaker or a fuse holder, and will give you the fusing people have been talking about.

Do you have a "universal meter"? If you don't, I highly recommend that you buy one. they are mebbe thirty bux at places like "RadioShack" and they are absolutely indispensable for diagnosing electrical problems in existing wiring and for installing new wiring correctly. Once you get the hang of using one, a multimeter is also indispensable for uncinfusing yourself ;-)

I am attaching a quick'n'dirty perspective sketch of what the switch should look like from the back and indicated where the wires go.

Cheers
TrentePieds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump switch wiring.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	119130  
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:37   #52

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

Quote:
@ BCGuy

Good to know it is working for you :-)

Brewgyver has it right - the offset terminal is for the internal illumination of the switch because in boats - unlike in cars - you cannot "ground through frame", i.e. juice has no way to get back to the battery unless you provide a wire for it to do so.

I can't tell from your pics, but if the round little gizmo on the left side of the front of the switch is a little push-button, then it will be a circuit breaker or a fuse holder, and will give you the fusing people have been talking about.

Do you have a "universal meter"? If you don't, I highly recommend that you buy one. they are mebbe thirty bux at places like "RadioShack" and they are absolutely indispensable for diagnosing electrical problems in existing wiring and for installing new wiring correctly. Once you get the hang of using one, a multimeter is also indispensable for uncinfusing yourself ;-)

I am attaching a quick'n'dirty perspective sketch of what the switch should look like from the back and indicated where the wires go.

Cheers
TrentePieds
Exactly right!! Much obliged TP....
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote