Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 14:21   #1

12V USB Charger?

I have a 26' Columbia that I'm not interested in installing an inverter into. They're big and clunky and being that I only plan on doing short distance coastal cruising and have minimal electrical appliances, I'm just looking for something simple. I saw a USB charger on a friends boat and would like to install something similar. Perhaps a cigarette lighter with a USB adapter like for your car? I can't find those online. When I google either the cigarette lighter or the 12V USB charger, it I don't see any boat-specific ones. Does anyone have these, if so how do you like them and where did you purchase them?

Thanks!
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:28   #2

Re: 12V USB Charger?

Doesn't need to be boat specific. As long as y ou have a battery, jsut add a dc cigarette lighter plug and charge away. Watch your battery level, but a phone or ipad draws almost nothing, a computer is a different story.

Hannah on s/v Rita T
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:29   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 33

They are everywhere:

Amazon.com: usb car charger
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
They are everywhere:

Amazon.com: usb car charger

These I have, I don't have anything to plug it into. That's what I'm having a hard time finding.
Old 13-03-2014, 14:38   #5

I bought a couple of cig lighter phone chargers, and was very disappointed with the output. My phone is a "phablet" and I was also trying to charge my 10" tablet.

I did an Ebay search for 2A or 3A, 12v USB chargers, and bought a couple. Talk about great!

Here's one for $6, free shipping. 2 USB ports, 2.1A and 1A output. There are tons of them like this on Ebay.

2 1A Car Charger Micro USB Cable for Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 s 3 4 Note 2 3 | eBay
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:40   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
These I have, I don't have anything to plug it into. That's what I'm having a hard time finding.
http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Grade-C.../dp/B0002KRC5Y

Just make sure you following standard 12v wiring standards and don't overload the circuit.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I bought a couple of cig lighter phone chargers, and was very disappointed with the output. My phone is a "phablet" and I was also trying to charge my 10" tablet.

I did an Ebay search for 2A or 3A, 12v USB chargers, and bought a couple. Talk about great!

Here's one for $6, free shipping. 2 USB ports, 2.1A and 1A output. There are tons of them like this on Ebay.

2 1A Car Charger Micro USB Cable for Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 s 3 4 Note 2 3 | eBay

Thanks for your input! This is helpful. What do you plug these into? I'm having a hard time figuring that out. There's tons of USB stuff but I can't find any unit to install to plug these into.
Old 13-03-2014, 14:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post

Oh! Gotcha!

They're all over Ebay and Amazon. I'm pretty sure I've seen suitable ones at Walmart, if there's one nearby.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 19:19   #9

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

I have installed a couple of Blue Sea Dual USB Charger sockets in my boat. They connect directly to 12V.

Dual USB Charger Socket - Blue Sea Systems

Howard
HRowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 19:36   #10
Marine Service Provider

socaldmax is on the money.

MAKE SURE YOU GET A LARGER CAPACITY socket (in terms of amps).

For example on a small amperage socket if you put in a dual USB adapter, it would only charge 1 iPad versus 2 at a time when both plugged in, or with one plugged in it won't charge very fast, especially if you are using it whilst it's charging.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 05:30   #11

Cigaret lighter outlets are easy to come by and not hard to install.

But have you looked at the smaller inverters (100-300watts). At maybe 4x8inches they aren't very big and you can get one for under $50. Just as easy to install as the cigaret lighter outlet and gives you a lot more options for charging DC items and the option to run smaller AC items.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 09:01   #12

Lots of good advice here. To sum up (and put my spin on it)

- any good boat chandlery (online or brick) will have panel mounting 12v cigarette lighter sockets. This one is available most places, and is good quality. Get two.
- Install them in your boat, with each fed from its own 10A breaker or fuse. Use #14 marine-grade wire if the run is no more than 20 ft from the plug to the panel (for max 10% v drop @ 10A, as per ABYC)

Now you have two 12v sockets capable of driving most typical portable 12v items of up to 10A each.

- buy one or two cigarette lighter-to-USB adaptor things. They are available just about everywhere for under $10 typically. Ours have two USB jacks and a sexy blue LED
- optionally buy a 75w or 100w plug-in inverter (usually under $30) for the occasional time you need to power a small AC electronic device, like a laptop's AC power supply.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger