Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 18:59   #16

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: 125a Pull safe on lead acid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Sorry, you've lost me here.

I wasn't discussing charge rate, I was discussing (and the graph showed) discharge rate (a function of bank size/amperage draw) v voltage drop.

That said, Amps for charging is largely a function of the size of battery bank. Quoting a single number like 60A is pointless without knowing a lot more about the system being charged.

And why would anyone deliberately only partially charge LA batteries?
I am sorry I lost you.

Most LA batteries are chronically undercharged because owners do not want to take the time to charge them in full or they use a default absorption voltage that is too low or absorption time that is too short or they just do not have the patience to let the batteries top off to a current of 0.01C or so (which feels like wasting the 60 or 80 amp charger).

As a result there is sulfation.

As a result the curve that shows actual voltage sag at the batt terminals (which you are confusing with drop) vs discharge current is much worse than the one in the manual.

I am not saying this is not avoidable (eg using solar to for the back end of the charge after engine/gender early in the day, or just a lot of solar). I am saying it is most common with the sort of owner who expects to "extract" rated amps from a charger.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:50   #17

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

I don't think you would have any problem. I have 6 GC configured for 12 volts and regularly run a coffee pot and microwave (not at the same time) and see draws of over 100 amps. Got 5 years on prior set and have a year on replacements with no problems.

Have been full time cruising (except summers that are too hot and humid where the boat is) for several years and several seasons on the west coast of Mexico before that. Don't stay in marinas very often so the battery usage is almost daily.

Only problem I've had with the batteries is when the marina that I left it at for a summer "forgot" to check the battery water. Now I set the solar charger much lower when leaving the boat.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:34   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Another graph, from trojan..

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:02   #19
Zil

I have 6 Duracell GC2, 230 ah batteries as a 12 volt system. 2000 watt inverter, 4 cup Mr Coffee, two slice toaster, and 5 minutes microwave. one after the other, no problem.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote