Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 18:44   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: 120volt Panda Generator Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I keep reading these negative reports from bloggers. Since FP make many differrent models using some 7 or so different engines and 14 different generator units it would be nice to get specifics rather then generalities. So one could peg down the problem units. These are German made with such engines as Kabuta, Audi- VW, Mercedes, Yanmar, and Fairymann. Are the problems in the engines?, Or the generators and which units?. If I ever have to replace mine I would like to sort the bad from the good. Saying they are all junk is like saying all GM cars are junk based on some of their mistakes.
Forget the generalities. If you want to be happy with your genset, then choose a low-rpm (1500 or 1800 rpm), constant-speed, understressed, 3-cylinder, totally simple one, rated for constant duty. Period. Avoid high RPM ones, or complicated ones, with variable RPM etc. Does FP make a simple low-rpm genset? Not last time I heard. Check out Northern Lights, Kohler, Onan/Cummins instead. They are heavier and more expensive, but believe me, it's worth it. Do a bit of Googling for the quite striking statistics on reliability between the different types. FP doesn't have a terrible reputation for nothing. The genset is one item of gear you don't want to be constantly struggling with. It's one of those things you don't want to think about -- just turn the key and go.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 21:39   #32

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive used so many types of gennys and worked on so many, that I can say from expeirnce with evey type from Lister, Onan, FP, Northern lights, norpro. I can say from the ones Ive owned personaly the best has been Northern Lights 3 cyl. In the companys sound box they are unheard inside of most boats, and can be almost silent outside with the right type of exaust ! (nice for your neighbors) if space is a problem maybe Atolls idea will work but the difference betweeh 1800 and 3600 RPMS is of course twice the wear, oil changes ect !! If you can buget a new one and make it fit ! I "garentee" You and your crew will be happier having a sure thing genny!!
Old 26-12-2015, 15:26   #33

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 53

I need to chime in here. I have a Panda 6 on my boat and in the four years I have had it, I've never used it for more than a day or two at at time...why? It simply won't run. Add to that poor support from the US rep and an uninformed dealer network, and it's just waaaay too much crap.

Overheating, poor voltage, no voltage, failed alternator (dyno) and on and on and on and on....

Furthermore, I don't like the sound of it as it is a high spin genset. Let me be the first to echo what everyone else has said on here, if you can afford one, go get a Northern Lights. It will be my next purchase.

Damn, how I hate my Fischer Panda.
flippercarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator