Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 12:39   #1

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch
12 Volt Wind Generator With 24 Volt House And Starter Banks

Hello CF,

I have a 12 volt Air Breeze wind generator that I purchased new several years ago but never installed until now. Since then I changed my charging system to 24V. I have 2 sets of 12v golf cart batteries wired in series then in parallel.

When you check the battery voltage with a DMM you still see the 12v on individual batteries touching the pos and neg and 24v when you touch the pos of the 1st battery and the neg on the 4th battery.

My question is, can I charge the house bank by wiring to the 12v terminals and does the charge then bleed over to the other batteries?

I'd love to hear from someone who has tried this with success or failure to know for sure.

Thanks,

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 23:31   #2

Re: 12 Volt Wind Generator With 24 Volt House And Starter Banks

no you will only charge half the batteries. and screw them up. because the other ones will never charge. even from a dock.

you can probably buy a boosting charge controller for it. and charge at 24v (can for solar anyways)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator