Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:25   #16

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
Re: 12 Volt System Shows 15 Volts

What type of batteries?. Some gels charge at a higher voltage.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:31   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
What type of batteries?. Some gels charge at a higher voltage.
The deep cycle GEL batteries I know of (Sonnenschein, East Penn, Trojan) charge at lower voltages. Charge a GEL higher and you develop gas bubbles in the silica gelled electrolyte and on a boat this will become permanent damage..

Can you provide us a link to which GEL batteries charge at 15.0V or more..?

The OP also has Motolite batteries and Motolite and I don't believe they make a GEL..???
Old 05-03-2015, 13:55   #18

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

on my last boat I had 2 Lifeline gels for the house totaling 800 ah, had solar and wind; the charging was at 14.1. they lasted 10 yr.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 00:45   #19

12V System Photos Attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Rod,

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation. Mixed w. the other comments above, I have a MUCH better handle on what is going on. I absolutely do not want to mess with the system myself, especially if it apparently is working as it should.

Will do the research and multi meter checks suggested by folks on the thread, and hopefully the system will turn out to be working as it should. There is no physical evidence to suggest a problem at this point, but I intend to buy a 40 watt, 12v fan, and I want to make sure all is in order before wiring it in.

Thanks again,

G2L
Tried to post the photos I promised earlier, but, cannot get them up at the moment. Will try again soon. See specs posted earlier for more - G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09   #20

12 Volt Battery Specs = Motolite Enduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Rod,

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation. Mixed w. the other comments above, I have a MUCH better handle on what is going on. I absolutely do not want to mess with the system myself, especially if it apparently is working as it should.

Will do the research and multi meter checks suggested by folks on the thread, and hopefully the system will turn out to be working as it should. There is no physical evidence to suggest a problem at this point, but I intend to buy a 40 watt, 12v fan, and I want to make sure all is in order before wiring it in.

Thanks again,

G2L
The 2 house batteries are Motolite (a Philippine company) 12V batteries. The exact type seems to be the "Enduro" model which is a "low maintenance" battery which, unfortunately, seems to have been designed for use in autos (not boats) run in a hot, tropical climate. There are no holes for adding water, and, as inferred by others, that is probably not a good thing. The model number on the batteries is 35MF N70L D31L

Thanks to all,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote