Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2008, 10:53   #1

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
12 volt power receptacles

I need a couple of 12 V power plugs (most commonly the cigarette lighter type adapter) for things like the spotlight, phone charger, etc. Is there something better out there? Also, the common "Seadog" plug has two spade connectors, but they aren't labelled as to polarity. Does it matter? Thanks!
Old 28-07-2008, 11:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Excerpted from the earlier discussion at:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tlets-729.html

I’ve never been happy with the normally available 12VDC outlets (receptacles) - not the W.P. Bi-Pin Deck Connections (Perko 1189 Series, Cole-Hersey M121-BP, SeaFit, & etc), and especially not the Lighter Socket type (commonly fitted to accessories).

For 12 Volt DC accessories, I use “Midget Twist-Lock Devices” (2 Pole, 2 Wire, Polarized, NEMA Code ML-1), such as the:
Hubbell #HBL7526C Flanged Receptacle (or Cooper #7468 etc.)
Standard Weather-Proof Coverplates are readily available available.
mated with the
Hubbell #HBL7545C Plug (male cord cap) (or Cooper #7467 etc.)
The series even has a female cord cap (to make an extension cord) #HBL7506C (or Cooper #7464N etc.)

Although these devices are intended for AC use (UL rated for 15A 125VAC - polarized), they are an excellent alternative to the conventional DC outlets.
They are rugged, corrosion resistant, easily installed, attractive, and best of all “Twist-Lock”.

Not normally available at Marine stores, these NEMA type "ML-1" Midget devices are available at any good Electrical (or Industrial) Distribution Supply house.

Unfortunately they are more expensive that the inadequate devices they replace.

Examples: http://www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/...f/sectionh.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 11:15   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Regarding polarity, it does matter. The central pin is the Positive, and the barrel is the negative (ground or earth).
Old 28-07-2008, 11:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The pin connector inside the socket at the bottom is positive and the metal sleeve connection inside the socket is the ground.

Check the thread in Gord's post it covers a lot of better alternatives for high load applications. Check the amps on the spot light. Some are pretty high. The size of the wire gets more important as the amps ramp up. Cell phone chargers don't need much. I would add an in line fuse too and never run these direct to a battery. They all need to go through the a breaker panel circuit.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 11:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Bi-Pin devices are also polarized, one pin has a larger diameter than the other.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 12:00   #6

There are better cig style receptacles such as Marinco 12YRC with a cover. Rugged and well designed and comes with a fused plug.

Marinco 12VRC
http://www.marinco.biz/files/support...eets/12VRC.pdf
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 12:00   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
On my boat I have two kinds of outlet circuits for 12 volt. The usual cigarette lighter type for low current draw units (since they mostly come with these plugs anyway) and a 12 volt high draw circuit featuring trolling motor plugs. These are easily available from West Marine (part # 1422591), twist-lock, and able to carry wire cable as large as 6 gauge. I use these in my shop area, and on deck in waterproof boxes for my electric bottom fishing reel, a possible electric trolling motor which could clamp on and be used as a thruster, or anything that will need a direct connection to my battery bank, via the breaker panel for the high draw circuit (rated at 30 amps).
Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 14:39   #8

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Good stuff

Thanks to all who joined this thread. Your insights and information have been extremely helpful.
Old 29-07-2008, 09:37   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
I replaced all the 12v plugs on my boat with Powerplugs and was very pleased.

Powerwerx: Online Shopping for Anderson Powerpoles, Wire & Cable, Adapter Cables, Power Splitters & more
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote