Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 05:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 12 Volt Meltdown and Malfunctioning Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alti804 View Post
These cigar lighter plugs will only handle a small amount of current, they will heat up causing the end of the plug to carbon up (be careful as it will cause severe burns if you touch). The carbon will cause more resistance and more heat, eventually causing failure and is a dangerous fire hazard. ...
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, alti804.

I’ve never been happy with the normally available 12VDC outlets (receptacles) - not the W.P. Bi-Pin Deck Connections (Perko1189 Series, Cole-HerseyM121-BP, SeaFit, & etc), and especially not the Lighter Socket type (commonly fitted to accessories).

For 12 Volt DC accessories, I use “Midget Twist-Lock Devices” (2 Pole, 2 Wire, Polarized, NEMA Code ML-1), such as the:
Hubbell #HBL7526C Flanged Receptacle (or Cooper #7468 etc.)
Standard Weather-Proof Coverplates are readily available available.
mated with the
Hubbell #HBL7545C Plug (male cord cap) (or Cooper #7467 etc.)
The series even has a female cord cap (to make an extension cord) #HBL7506C (or Cooper #7464N etc.)

Although these devices are intended for AC use (UL rated for 15A 125VAC - polarized), they are an excellent alternative to the conventional DC outlets.
They are rugged, corrosion resistant, easily installed, attractive, and best of all “Twist-Lock”.

Not normally available at Marine stores, these NEMA type "ML-1" Midget devices are available at any good Electrical (or Industrial) Distribution Supply house.

I haven't used the "Trolling Motor" connectors (Marinco #20188R), which though 4-pole, are "Twistlok".

See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tlets-729.html

And ➥ http://www.wescodirect.com/direct/im...482_elec08.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 11:39   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Personally, I would do away with the inverter and get the 12v dc adapter for your laptop. Less watts used to invert to AC just to convert back to dc.
I actually had one, but it didn't last too long. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a new one, and also hard wire it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alti804 View Post
Stay away from auto style cigar lighter plugs. The higher resistance on the DC power connection at the plug can cause degraded performance and sometimes complete failure of the AC output.
And I'm guessing this is why the laptop power supply failed.

Wiring is 16 gauge, and appears to be in good condition, so I'm guessing the problem is at the connection its self. Based on the suggestions, here's what I'm thinking.

1. Pick up a new DC adapter for my laptop, and hard wire it in.
  2. Hard wire my larger 200 watt inverter in.
  3. Run a third line, and keep one cigarette lighter socket, for low load devices that I have DC power adapters for. Mostly chargers. iPhone, camera battery , hand held VHF, and a small NiMH battery charger.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:21   #18

GordMay thanks for the greetings.
I do like the electrical connections of the trolling motor plugs but I do prefer the industrial quality of the Hubble type connector and the fact that they are readily available.

Grouchyturtle
Sounds like you have a handle on it.
alti804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 14:05   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

These plugs and their sockets come in various qualities and amperages. A dupy one can transfer plenty of amps. But a dupy one would go with a bigger inverter and you do not want such a thing to go flying in the seaway. Hence the bigger inverter will often be hardwired (and fused).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 15:26   #20
Eternal Member

For 12VDC circuits AWG16 may be really marginal, especially if the run is more than a few feet.

If, for example, you put a 10A load on an AWG16 wired circuit with a one-way wire run of 10 feet, you're looking at a 14% voltage drop or a drop of 1.67 volts! If you started with 12VDC at the panel, you'd only have 10.33VDC at the outlet.

That voltage drop, plus the very real problems with using automotive-type cigarette lighter sockets for even a small inverter are sure to spell TROUBLE.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 08:44   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
These plugs and their sockets come in various qualities and amperages. A dupy one can transfer plenty of amps. But a dupy one would go with a bigger inverter and you do not want such a thing to go flying in the seaway. Hence the bigger inverter will often be hardwired (and fused).

b.
Well, in addition to the 2 little guys, I do have a 2000 watt inverter/charger, but I prefer not firing that up, just to run small toys.
Old 18-01-2012, 08:58   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
For 12VDC circuits AWG16 may be really marginal, especially if the run is more than a few feet.
I alread have some left over AWG12...may even be 10. Since I hate running wires, and to keep the runs shorter, I've decided to just install everything on the same side, which is right next to the breaker panel.

Tags
inverter