Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2016, 09:36   #136

Re: 12 Volt air conditioner may be availabe soon

Well clearly if someone can figure this out the market is there. I'd buy a couple but right now the technology for this to be effective doesn't exist. I'm running a 10,000 BTU portable unit plumbed to a port hatch. Even that baby struggled in St Pete during the heat of the day (would rise to 92 degree F). With the boat tent set up it helped but would still rise to 88. I added a second 8000 window unit. That keeps her at 78 all day but my electric bills at the marina were pushing $150/month and the window unit gets in the way, plus looks ugly. At anchor my Honda 2000 can only run one AC so I go with the 10k.
Hunter34StPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 23:55   #137

https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Marin...ir+conditioner

Cant find the BTUs on this, and may only be good for a bunk, nut still, better than sleeping in the heat. You can call up the manufacturer if you are interested.
mcneilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 00:36   #138

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneilms View Post
https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Marin...ir+conditioner

Cant find the BTUs on this, and may only be good for a bunk, nut still, better than sleeping in the heat. You can call up the manufacturer if you are interested.

12v units are 6k and 9k BTU/hr, 24v 8k and 11k.

30-50 amps nominal

3700$- 4000$

Details here. MARINE SERIES — Cruise N Comfort

Menu link to pdf technical top left corner.
Old 26-09-2016, 00:40   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I looked at that site and it doesn't show the MES 6000-te anywhere.
Did find it on another site which confirmed that it is 6000BTU (and that the "te" stands for "top exhaust".)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 02:17   #140

Refrigerated AC works well when the cool air hits you directly on the skin. Try it in your car. So you might get away with something like this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-...08.0.47.ijMOTg
if the cooled air is aimed directly at your face. So all you can do is sit around and maybe drink beer.

We were looking at this unit to pipe AC cold air into the foot of our bed. You can get a thermostat control so that it doesn't get too cold. There are complete retail units already available" https://bedjet.com/
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 02:42   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Refrigerated AC works well when the cool air hits you directly on the skin. Try it in your car. So you might get away with something like this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-...08.0.47.ijMOTg
if the cooled air is aimed directly at your face. So all you can do is sit around and maybe drink beer.
That's a Peltier device. They are a very inefficient cooling method so not good for your battery capacity.

And you are going to need to get rid of the heat from the hot side somehow.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 14:12   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That's a Peltier device. They are a very inefficient cooling method so not good for your battery capacity.

And you are going to need to get rid of the heat from the hot side somehow.
absolutely right. transferring the heat away from the area is an issue for all heat pumps including reverse cycle air conditioning. Peltier devices are inefficient. The idea was that this unit cools a small spot area rather than the whole space. so it's a bit like a very cold personal fan; you cool your face and this cools your body. It doesn't matter if ths interior of the boat is hot, as long as you are cool. If I pump cold air between the bed sheets I will feel cold even if the waste heat is pumped into the surrounding air.

spot cooling creates a cool environment in a very small volume and so overall uses less energy than any attempt to cool the whole space.It's worth a try.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote