Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:55   #1

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch
12 V battery power tools onboard

Hello everyone

A bit of a conundrum here.

Like most of us, I have a set of battery powered tools on board; drill, hacksaw, angle grinder, etc. In my case, all tools are from the same manufacturer, and use a single std battery which is interchangeable.

Problem is, the charger unit for the battery is a 220 V unit which I can only use when plugged onto the mains.

Has anyone come across a unit/gadget that will allow me to charge the tools' removable battery off my 12 V battery main bank? I don't have a 12/220 inverter...

Thanks!
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 13:28   #2

Re: 12 V battery power tools onboard

yes it's called an inverter... buy a small one. probably want pure sine wave for battery charging.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 13:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think due to the “smart” nature of Li-Po chargers terminating charge when full etc, your pretty much limited to an inverter.
However there are many Li-PO chargers for model airplanes etc that are very programmable and safe, but likely require a bit of knowledge about the pack that you don’t have, so I’d stick with an inverter and the Charger meant for that battery, Li-PO packs have been know to catch fire of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 13:35   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

You can rig DCDC conversion to charge direct, not rocket science.

But nearly all makers offer a 12V car charger.

Best to stick to one brand of course.

Ryobi's ONE+ platform is very stable, backward compatible and very versatile.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 14:36   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I have Ryobi 1+ 18V tools with the car charger and I also have Bosch Professional 10.8 tools with the AC charger - there's no DC charger option with these and they are now marketed as 12 volt tools. I personally find the 12 volt stuff to be perfect for boat maintenance and, given the amount of times a battery needs recharging, don't really see any issue with just charging via an inverter.

For 12V tools another option is to make a corded adapter from an old battery case.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 15:00   #6

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

QUOTE For 12V tools another option is to make a corded adapter from an old battery case.QUOTE

That's the obvious way to go. Wire up your 12V tools to run off the boat batteries.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 15:23   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
yes it's called an inverter... buy a small one. probably want pure sine wave for battery charging.
This is the simple, cheap and flexible solution. It covers charging these devices as well as many other small devices that might find there way on board.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 15:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
This is the simple, cheap and flexible solution. It covers charging these devices as well as many other small devices that might find there way on board.

I won't argue with that.

I have an inverter already but I am grabbing any re-chargeable tool (skin only) I can and wiring it to run off 24V as I find rechargeable batteries only last a couple of years and then you are up for mega bucks to replace the whole tool.

Clive
Old 12-01-2019, 15:59   #9

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

"For 12V tools another option is to make a corded adapter from an old battery case.[/QUOTE]" Like this. Works well with 18 volt tools too. just not the flashlight, I'll have to get a different bulb. Also note the grinder wheel that I used my drill to cut stainless steel sheeting. I recommend 12 gauge wire with 20 amp fuse.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190112-185519.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	183700
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 16:30   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I won't argue with that.

I have an inverter already but I am grabbing any re-chargeable tool (skin only) I can and wiring it to run off 24V as I find rechargeable batteries only last a couple of years and then you are up for mega bucks to replace the whole tool.

Clive
I don't know about that. Instead of buying a cordless battery operated tool to start with, just buy a cordfull drill/grinder/etc that is 110/220v and run it with an extension cord from the inverter. Much more powerful tool and no batteries to replace.
I have a combo. I really like the small cordless drill. It is a Bosch with an adjustable head angle. I have a larger cordfull drill that is good for drilling through metals, etc. Battery sanders are not much use except for very small jobs.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 16:47   #11

Quote:
Instead of buying a cordless battery operated tool to start with, just buy a cordfull drill/grinder/etc that is 110/220v and run it with an extension cord from the inverter.jobs.

Buying a cordless battery operated tool? Why buy a tool when you can get them for nothing!

The cordless tools tradesmen use are not toys like the home handyman uses. As manufacturers are switching from plug-in batteries to slide-in batteries the plug-in tools have been de-valued. If you are "in the know" you can pick them up at the right price.

Clive
Old 13-01-2019, 08:22   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Nice to hear a mention of Ryobi tools. We own/maintain two waterfront homes and a 3rd with 360-degree waterfront (i.e. "sailboat"). We don't bring our expensive power tools on board for the Ryobi tools are much cheaper and, ya know, work fine and can often be had on sale (like a hammer-drill for $70). They all use the same batteries, so we just carry two of the half-size rechargeable batteries and also carry one inexpensive charger that plugs into a cig. lighter adapter or our small inverter.

The tools will probably suffer from years in the salt air/high humidity, but we have a couple of Ryobi tools on board (14 volt drill, a small vac and small circular saw) that are over 10 years old and still working with only the annual squirt of WD-40.

Happy maintenance!
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 09:04   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I don't know about that. Instead of buying a cordless battery operated tool to start with, just buy a cordfull drill/grinder/etc that is 110/220v and run it with an extension cord from the inverter. Much more powerful tool and no batteries to replace.
I have a combo. I really like the small cordless drill. It is a Bosch with an adjustable head angle. I have a larger cordfull drill that is good for drilling through metals, etc. Battery sanders are not much use except for very small jobs.
Yes, but my mains drill is 750w so that will need quite an expensive inverter to run, whilst my little secondhand 300w inverter was much cheaper to power a battery charger. I was looking last night on UK e bay, but it's £250 for a new 1000w pure sine wave and not much cheaper for quasi wave formats assuming you want a decent quality inverter, not the really cheap Chinese ones.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 09:04   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Love my Ryobi 18 volt tools! The early Ni Cad batteries needed frequent replacing but I have Lithium batteries that are eight years old and going strong.

Christmas is a good time to buy them. I recently bought a 1/2” impact wrench for $99. It came with a battery and charger. It usually sells for about $120 without a battery or charger.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:05   #15

Boat: Catalina 30 (hull 814)

I've been using Porter Cable for years and charging via inverter but their chargers keep dieing on me. I've made the move to Milwaukee M18 as they have a 110/12V combo charger along with a host of other gizmos such as a fan that has been awesome in hot weather (land locked off grid in Baja) and am looking forward to its use in the PNW to spread the furnace heat around to help chase the dampness away.
Puregravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery