Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 15:38   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: 110v 220v definitions WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Heat pumps are efficient but only with an ambient temp. of some place above freezing. That's all we have in coastal SC, US. with electric strip backup. I'm not sure about much farther north unless one is a water unit using ground water temp.. My son had one years ago but had, I believe, a calcification problem in the heat exchanger. I guess there ain't no free lunches.
I believe they want to plumb it like 30 yards or more underground in search of high enough temperatures. It crazy for a country that is not building more nuclear plants.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 00:13   #92

Boat: Farr 1020

I am not certain what the connection is between ground source heat pumps and nuclear power plants, but ....
30 m wells are moderate, commercially we normally look for a grid of wells often a heck of a lot deeper. What we seek is a heat sink, stable enough to stay at that temp irrespective of ambient temp or of how much heat we extract or add from the heat pumps. Also want to avoid drying out the surface soil above.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:11   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
I am not certain what the connection is between ground source heat pumps and nuclear power plants, but ....
30 m wells are moderate, commercially we normally look for a grid of wells often a heck of a lot deeper. What we seek is a heat sink, stable enough to stay at that temp irrespective of ambient temp or of how much heat we extract or add from the heat pumps. Also want to avoid drying out the surface soil above.
Roger
I like you fail to see the tie in with the ground water and nuclear power. There is probably a reason possibly political.
We can hit an aquifer with an ambient of 57F 12 foot down but that is here and not worth it with a moderate air temp. in my opinion. For less moderate climates that have a constant sub surface water temp. a heat pump may be a great HVAC solution.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 16:24   #94

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipraiser View Post
No. There is no "earth pin" on a Schuko.

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Schuko1.html

You are probably confusing it with a french socket, or the hybrid CEE7/7 that fits both.

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/EFhybrid.html

There is NO polarity in either Schuko or the CEE7/16 "Europlug", the 2 most used connectors in Europe.

Doesn't matter. Lamp socket threads hasn't been connected to either live or neutral since the 1930s, they wouldn't pass electrical safety test.

/M
We import every month, pallet loads of electrical equipment from Germany and from Italy - most come with IEC leads - with Shuko plugs - all with earth pins
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 23:03   #95

So with all this said if a person is planing to sail to many ports of call.
They need to be prepared with a solution?
I am thinking set everything up on the boat with what you want, then purchase a good smart inverter to compensate for the worlds differences?
I am thinking the inverter would be safest as a person does not have to know what the builder did thus safeguarding the boat?

Other then up front cost is there something else to consider?
tazziboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 15:12   #96
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
We import every month, pallet loads of electrical equipment from Germany and from Italy - most come with IEC leads - with Shuko plugs - all with earth pins
No you don’t. You get plugs that have a hole which can accept an earth pin from a French power outlet, i.e. the earth pin is on a French outlet.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass