Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 09:30   #1

10a Dual Battery Solar Controller?

Hey everyone,

I'm buying a (Waeco CB40) fridge which implies a cascade of other things with it. having a fridge and no main elecricity means that I need a solar panel, I have no objection to that since I can keep my deep cycle batteries in shape and occasionally use a laptop for work on board.

Attached is a list of things I will use, together with their amp draw. I will use my boat for 2 summer months a year

I have x2 115 gel batteries (12v) for the house bank, and one optima battery for the starter.

I figured that I will be needing around 120watts of solar panel which is roughly 10amps at 12 volts.. the boat is based in Malta so summer sun is not problem.

I will get the Trimetric TM-2025-RV + 500 amp Shunt because I read some good things about it on handy bob's solar blog.

I cannot seem to find a 10a dual controller, I do not want any Ebay china stuff.. any suggestions?

Also, can anyone suggest a good single 120w or two 60w panels? The ones I've found are either from shady vendors or from expensive chandleries.. I am based in Austria and Malta

cheers
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.png
Views:	150
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	76383  
EagleBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 00:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: 10a Dual Battery Solar Controller?

The Morningstar SunSaver Duo is designed for 2 banks and is capable of 25 amps. Morningstar Corporation » SunSaver Duo

But is it correct that you have Gel for the house bank and Agm for a start battery? If so I wouldn't use the same controller for both banks as the 2 battery types have different charging requirements. You may be better off to get a small panel for the start battery with a basic controller such as the Morningstar Sunsaver 6 amp controller Morningstar Corporation » SunSaver and a larger panel with a different controller for the house bank, maybe the Morningstar Sunsaver 10 amp at the above link. Besides Morningstar, Genusun, Outback, and Bluesky are manufacturers of quality controllers but I am not sure what availability is in Europe.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 01:07   #3

Re: 10a Dual Battery Solar Controller?

Hi mitiempo,

Thanks a lot for your reply. correction, the batteries I have are:
Optima RedTop : Amazon.com: Optima 8020-164-FFP RedTop Group 35 Starting Battery: Automotive

Varta AGM (x2) for house: AGM Batterie VARTA AGM Professional Deep Cycle, 12 V, 115 Ah, top Qualität, Kleinboote

is it possible to have these 2 connected to the same controller?

Thanks
EagleBay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar