Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 19:57   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
1 alternator, 2 new starter batteries + parallel switch - will it work??

The bearings on one of my alternators have spat the dummy and started to eat my pulley belts. I tried to have the bearings replaced here in Bali but have been told that the alternator is also now defunct which was probably the cause for the starter battery for that engine also defuncting (sic). I can't get a new Yanmar compatible alternator here, so will wait til Singapore.

I have an emergency cross over battery switch between the two batteries. Also voltage sensitive relays attached to both starter batteries. Now that I have bought a new starter battery for the engine that has no alternator, can I just keep the two starter batteries linked and use the other engine's alternator 75 amps to charge both starter batteries?
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: 1 alternator, 2 new starter batteries + parallel switch - will it work??

I think they are the same alternators used on Toyotas. Check autoparts stores and make sure the mounting framework matches.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:57   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Are you sure that you can run your engine without an alternator belt?? Many engines use the same belt to drive the fresh water pump.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:24   #4

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
The bearings on one of my alternators have spat the dummy and started to eat my pulley belts. I tried to have the bearings replaced here in Bali but have been told that the alternator is also now defunct which was probably the cause for the starter battery for that engine also defuncting (sic). I can't get a new Yanmar compatible alternator here, so will wait til Singapore.

I have an emergency cross over battery switch between the two batteries. Also voltage sensitive relays attached to both starter batteries. Now that I have bought a new starter battery for the engine that has no alternator, can I just keep the two starter batteries linked and use the other engine's alternator 75 amps to charge both starter batteries?

I am not going to answer your question directly, but here are two things:
  1. There is a boat guy in Bali named Mande. My contact for Mande (pronounced Monday) is 2 years old, but try 081936204906. At the time he worked out of his skiff in the anchorage about 2 kilometers north of Benoa Harbor...the one with mooring balls. Mande can find anything that can be found in Bali, and likely will be able to get yours repaired in Bali. If you are Bali Marina, forget about getting help from those jerks. While in Bali, we were on one of the mooring balls at 08°43.08S 115°14.50E.

2. If you do not get what you want and you stop in Penang Malaysia, you can find anything there and they will repair anything. We stopped at the marina in Penang for a few days and had great luck rebuilding a 230v water pump for the A/C. Ask the dockmaster to find someone to take you to where you need to go on a motorbike...show the dockmaster what you need and he will tell the motorbike driver where to go...language is not a problem...just show and they will take you. The dockmaster got the gardener to take me. I paid the gardener 5-10 Ringgit for a hour or two and he was delighted.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 16:33   #5

Boat: boat less ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Are you sure that you can run your engine without an alternator belt?? Many engines use the same belt to drive the fresh water pump.
The engine is a Yanmar 3GM30. The water pump">raw water pump has its own small belt.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post

The engine is a Yanmar 3GM30. The raw water pump has its own small belt.
Yes it might, but the fresh water cooling pump is likely to be on the same belt as the alternator. Maybe use a shorter belt and bypass the alternator, or why not get it fixed? Even in Bali I bet there is some one with a repair shop.
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator