Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 18:32   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Yee freekin haw Finally have enough clams to buy a 440.

Mike here from South Florida finally with an introduction post and to announce. . .The search is on for a Lagoon 440. Preferably a 2008 or 09.

I've been on this site as a member since 2009 and a non member for a few years before that. Even had a few silly worthless responses I wish I could retract but. . .

I've been a motor boater for most of my life. Last 15 years heading east doing trips from 3 days at Old Bahama Bay to 3 weeks anchoring anywhere we could find up and down the Exumas. My favorite chain. The round the world dream on a sail boat popped in the head after filling up the 2 150 gallon tanks with $6.99 a gallon diesel fool.

Financially I could be cuttin it close. Will own the 440 outright. Own a smaller home outright that should rent for 1700 a month and a few other variables.

My sailing experience? Minimal. I think I may end up buying either in the Caribbean or the Med and sailing her back to Florida with a hired captain.

OK question. Do you think its taking on a major task to buy from as far east as Croatia and sail her back if my time wasn't a factor? How bout thoughts on the 40 HP yanmar engines that some of the 440 have? Problems in strong currents? Just no balls in general? What about eventually swopping the 40's with the 54 HP's? Will the 54's drop right in? Any advice is truly welcome and appreciated. I'm sure I left out lots of info. Cheers

Mike
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:13   #2

Re: Yee freekin haw Finally have enough clams to buy a 440.

Mike,
Nice to hear your enthusiasm and you goals.

1. Unless you really want to sail in Croatia and you really want to sail across the Atlantic now, I can't imagine a good reason to buy there and sail straight home. You'll need time aboard to sort out lots of issues even in a well presesented boat. Gee, I'd reckon it would take 3 to 6 months to get to know it well and decide on what needs a fix, a tweak and what will "just do". Then there is the wear and tear on the boat which is all worthwhile "cost" if you actually want to make the journey. There will be good examples available in the US or in nearby Caribbean. Even a "bargin" in Europe become less so after unexpected breakages and other issues. Then there is importation costs, dealing with different gas cylinder compliance and different electrical standard issues, all at cost. Forget it, that is unless Croatia, The Med, and the Crossing are all part of a grander plan that you intend to enjoy and savour.
2. I have the larger engines so can't comment on the 40HP's but given a choice (of which there must be some) the larger engine esp. with a three blade prop would be a worthwhile price premium.
3. You would need to do some the homework on whether the engine tub that comes with the 3JH4E 40HP and presumed ST40 will mount the 4JH4AE, given that it gets moulded into the bilge. Again, don't make work for youself. Spend the extra and avoid thinking you will save money by buying smaller and then doing the makeover with the unrealistic budget.

Have fun.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Mike,

1. Unless you really want to sail in Croatia and you really want to sail across the Atlantic now, I can't imagine a good reason to buy there and sail straight home. You'll need time aboard to sort out lots of issues even in a well presesented boat. Gee, I'd reckon it would take 3 to 6 months to get to know it well and decide on what needs a fix, a tweak and what will "just do". Then there is the wear and tear on the boat which is all worthwhile "cost" if you actually want to make the journey. There will be good examples available in the US or in nearby Caribbean. Even a "bargin" in Europe become less so after unexpected breakages and other issues. Then there is importation costs, dealing with different gas cylinder compliance and different electrical standard issues, all at cost. Forget it, that is unless Croatia, The Med, and the Crossing are all part of a grander plan that you intend to enjoy and savour.
2. I have the larger engines so can't comment on the 40HP's but given a choice (of which there must be some) the larger engine esp. with a three blade prop would be a worthwhile price premium.
3. You would need to do some the homework on whether the engine tub that comes with the 3JH4E 40HP and presumed ST40 will mount the 4JH4AE, given that it gets moulded into the bilge. Again, don't make work for youself. Spend the extra and avoid thinking you will save money by buying smaller and then doing the makeover with the unrealistic budget.

Have fun.
Good advice.
+1
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Mike,

Love the thread title, diesel fool, and enthusiasm!

Hope it works for ya bud....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Mike,

Have fun.
Lot of good sense ...... but I wouldnt object to the smaller engines if they had high engine hours and could negotiate a substantial discount as a result - then you get two brand new engines on your boat effectivey subsidised by the seller. One nice thing about buying in the Med is the opportunity to sail a season or two there. If that does not tie in with your plans then I would suggest taking the advice and buy more locally.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:23   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr336 View Post
OK question. Do you think its taking on a major task to buy from as far east as Croatia and sail her back if my time wasn't a factor?
If you enjoy sailing the Med: YES!

As already pointed out you will need time to sort things out so plan for one season in the Med. Not necessarily Croatia, there are plenty cruising grounds.
Changing gas cylinders won't be a deal breaker, same for the electric stuff. Buy a 120/230v converter and live with 230v appliances.

From my experience boats in the Med tend to be in better condition than those in the Caribbean. Less UV, less moisture, better maintenance, etc. Of course there are lemons around, too.

Regarding engines: I never get the point of debating engine sizes in a sailboat. I have the standard engines and can do 8-9kn if I have to. But I never do for more than a few minutes, instead I typically cruise on one engine at 5.5kn with under 1.5 liters per hour.
So unless a boat is seriously underpowered there is no point in going bigger except for a charter boat. Its a sailboat afterall! Get over your "smoker" habit and buy a bigger spinnaker!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:52   #7

One thing about buying Croatia the boat would probably be wired for 240V/50Hz as opposed to 230V/60Hz. Which converting from the 60 to 50 no problem but 50 to 60 is a problem bb/c there are different wiring standards in play.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:13   #8

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtzberg View Post
One thing about buying Croatia the boat would probably be wired for 240V/50Hz as opposed to 230V/60Hz. Which converting from the 60 to 50 no problem but 50 to 60 is a problem bb/c there are different wiring standards in play.
You are confused. The difference in frequency between 50Hz and 60 Hz does not have any impact on wiring. Voltage does.
Frequency has an impact in motors, not wiring.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:58   #9

Is the boat that much cheaper in Croatia? Seems like it would add at least $10,000 to your price in order to pick her up and bring her back.
pkallaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:30   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

I bought my boat in Croatia and have enjoyed sailing that area before heading back to New Zealand. The 230v thing can be a bit of a pain but if you are serious about a circumnavigation , it's not so bad because New Zealand and Australia are all 230v
Buy it sail it and have fun . I am no expert but the 40 hp engines should work fine , maybe not as fast but should do the trick and better on fuel. If you need the speed and fuel economy consider Brunton Props.
Glenn
watevaworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:49   #11
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Mike,

Have fun.
+2 good advice

Wishing you good hunting Mike...and then fair winds!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:38   #12

Boat: C&C 121

Captured from above:
From my experience boats in the Med tend to be in better condition than those in the Caribbean. Less UV, less moisture, better maintenance, etc. Of course there are lemons around, too.

Another thought from my perspective:
The boats in the US great lakes are like new, even 30 yr old boats are clean and no corrosion and little wear and tear as the season is so short and fresh water. Worth looking I can assure you..

Regards
Old 03-11-2015, 14:09   #13

Congrats Mike!

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:58   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldunn86 View Post
Captured from above:

Another thought from my perspective:
The boats in the US great lakes are like new, even 30 yr old boats are clean and no corrosion and little wear and tear as the season is so short and fresh water. Worth looking I can assure you..

Regards
I guess you are right, but: How many 440 are for sale in that region?

YW lists 62 Lagoon 440 in Europe and 13 in the US.

The cheapest 440 listed in the US is a 2004 model 339k USD. About 30 of those in Europe are cheaper than that. The cheapest in Europe is a 2009 model for 242k USD.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 16:43   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450

Well I must say. . .You folks sure know how to do "The warm and fuzzies". And as a bonus I get some sound, logical and thoughtful advise. Thank you all. I have also learned to stay away from guns and Coast Guard Boarding threads ha ha.

Well for me buying in the Med would only be motivated by the current prices and quantities as Rabbi posted. I'm still a working partner in a business here in South Florida so my time away would not be unlimited. Maybe my search will be 75% Caribbean focused and 25% Med. Has anyone shopped both Caribbean and Med and made a decision to buy in the Med because of overall better condition/less sun damage. Seems to make sense on paper. I could always hire a captain to bring her home if overall condition and price hit the mark.

Also should I be worried about "stuff" we bring on board? Scuba compressor, Hookah, 4 to 6 people, bottles and bottles of sundowners, a few months of provisions? Did I mention bottles of sundowners? I could never find a "load weight" for the Lagoon 440.

And I can confirm. . .10 heads are better than 1. Guess I now need to carry all of my drinks plus all the drinks I owe you. "OK honey move the tape up an inch for the water line".
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote