Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 14:14   #1

Yanmar 3JH5E parts catalogue

Having trouble downloading a parts catalogue or parts manual for this engine.
I've got the Operation Manual but that doesn't list parts and part numbers. Found a couple of PDFs online but when opened they are for other JH series engines.
A File or a link would be greatly appreciated.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 23:47   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Yanmar 3JH5E parts catalogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Having trouble downloading a parts catalogue or parts manual for this engine.
I've got the Operation Manual but that doesn't list parts and part numbers. Found a couple of PDFs online but when opened they are for other JH series engines.
A File or a link would be greatly appreciated.
It seems that it is difficult to find.
I have the catalogue for the older model - 3JH4E but I understand that the new engine has a different block & combustion system.
I have found the catalogue on the site:
www.lsm-diesel.dk
The may be contacted at
info@lsm-diesel.dk
Perhaps they can help.
Old 17-03-2016, 13:42   #3

Thanks Mark. Yes, I believe that there are many different parts between the 3jh4 and 3jh5 models. When ordering parts one needs to know they are the correct ones. Sometimes we are away from Internet contact so a copy of a parts catalogue for our engines is an important resource to have on the boat.

I'm really surprised that this sort of basic information is not readily available or was even supplied at purchase. Especially as spare parts are sooo expensive. Perhaps Yanmar don't want owners to order parts? Just find a service agent and say "fix it".

It seems to me that the small marine diesel industry, read "Yanmar and Volvo" are using the same business model as do computer printer companies; sell an engine at a competitive price and then hope to sell subsequent products ie. Spare parts and service items at huge markups.
Old 17-03-2016, 13:57   #4

Boat: LAGOON 400

Preventative maintenance most important. Running engines at right revs and loads and regularly.

I have 21 yrs old 4wd car and the only breakdown were dead batteries 2x, that needed replacement. Expect another 21 years of car life. I follow above rules.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 16:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Preventative maintenance most important. Running engines at right revs and loads and regularly.

I have 21 yrs old 4wd car and the only breakdown were dead batteries 2x, that needed replacement. Expect another 21 years of car life. I follow above rules.
Yep, I agree but I wish the Yanmars were of similiar engineering quality as my old 100 series LandCruiser. They aren't; and in combination with the SD50 sail drives, which should have rightly all be replaced under warranty, you will find that much more "spanner time" will be spent on this machinery than your 4x4.

You'll also need more spare parts, and a catalogue to order them from....
Old 28-11-2017, 04:54   #6

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Just installed a new 3JH5E and have the same problem. The operation manual is pretty much useless, although the break-in instructions are detailed and very good.
I was able to find a Service Manual online but no parts catalog so far. I find the parts catalogs better than the service manual in some cases since you can see exactly how things go together.

Please let me know if you're successful in finding the parts catalog. (Don't really want to pay Yanmar for one.)

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:11   #7

When comparing car engines to marine engines, work out how many hours your car engine actually has done. A 10 year old car that has done 10,000 klm per year = 100,000 klm at say an average speed of 50km /hr = 2000 hrs over 10 years. Cars usually don't ingest salt air their whole life, they get fresh fuel fill ups every couple of weeks, etc etc so pretty hard to compare. Our Yanmars have done 2500 hrs in 6 years and not one thing has gone wrong with either engine. The SD 50 drives are another issue! But then to be fair, our SD 50 have had the top oil seals changed twice in that time and the clutch cones lapped twice. The leaking top seals were a result of soft metal in the drive shaft which has been rectified by using hardened speedi sleeves There was a warrranty claim on the drive shafts which Yanmar honored 5 years ago. If you provide your own labor the price of things like seals is relatively small.

As for parts manual try asking a Yanmar parts dealer to send you the electronic version cos you want to buy parts of him.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:38   #8

Try this link, then save as an adobe file.

https://dieselpartseurope.com/media/...-M74900_en.pdf
Old 28-11-2017, 14:25   #9

Thanks Bean Counter and Moontide. The link is handy to have.

BC, looks like you've had a better run from your Yanmar 3JH5E and SD50s than most. Many have had to lap cone clutches numerous times, replace scored and leaky input shafts, and replace exorbitantly priced heat exchangers and mixing elbows within the first 5 years or 2000 hours.

By comparison, my 2000 model Toyota LandCuiser has done 300,000 km and crossed many deserts and not dropped a drip of oil. I really believe Yanmar quality could be improved.
Old 28-11-2017, 15:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Thanks Bean Counter and Moontide. The link is handy to have.

BC, looks like you've had a better run from your Yanmar 3JH5E and SD50s than most. Many have had to lap cone clutches numerous times, replace scored and leaky input shafts, and replace exorbitantly priced heat exchangers and mixing elbows within the first 5 years or 2000 hours.

By comparison, my 2000 model Toyota LandCuiser has done 300,000 km and crossed many deserts and not dropped a drip of oil. I really believe Yanmar quality could be improved.
The Yanmars are 4JH5E. Leaky input shaft is rectified with a "speedi sleeve" - per Yanmar America Service Advisory YASA2015-004-M works for SD40 as well. SKF part code CR99177. They are easy to install before putting in the new lip seal.

Mixing Elbows - can buy better engineered stainless steel ones in USA for
$200USD at https://www.ebay.com/itm/23201170259...&sojTags=bu=bu

I bought two spare elbows 2 years ago expecting to replace them, but as yet no need. Yanmar original part is $300USD.

Clutch cones, I have heard of some cruisers who do this on a regular basis. Per the service manual they are supposed to be inspected every 500 hours. If you are going to inspect them you may as well lap them. We are very gentle on our gear changing and ensure Flexofold props are disengaged when engine is off. There is a 3rd party engineering fix that replaces the shims with bearings - a couple of South African cruisers do them. Designed to eliminate the play that causes the wear.

Heat Exchangers can be cleaned in situ with Barnacle Buster. We used it on our generator - clean as a whistle. Had no need to do the Yanmars yet but will do next service anyway.
Old 28-11-2017, 17:50   #11

Thanks Bean Counter for this post.

If only I knew about this a couple of months back. Link for service advisoryhttp://dealer.yanmar.com.au/bulletin...eedisleeve.pdf

Yes I just put in a new shaft...

As for engine parts catalogue, there is an updated catalogue (Nov 15) to the one attached to link a few posts back. Unfortunately I am unable to post it here using my iPad. I can email it plus a SD50 parts catalogue as well for those in need..

Cheers Brett
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 18:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs View Post
Thanks Bean Counter for this post.

If only I knew about this a couple of months back. Link for service advisoryhttp://dealer.yanmar.com.au/bulletin...eedisleeve.pdf

Yes I just put in a new shaft...

As for engine parts catalogue, there is an updated catalogue (Nov 15) to the one attached to link a few posts back. Unfortunately I am unable to post it here using my iPad. I can email it plus a SD50 parts catalogue as well for those in need..

Cheers Brett
Well you should buy a couple of Speedi sleeves now cos you will need them in another 1000 hrs. Alternatively install one on the old shaft and and just swap it over when the second one goes (I take it you have a Cat?)
Old 28-11-2017, 21:05   #13

Yep, L400 & yes have that on the list of things to do...

Just on heat exchangers, suggest that when you run Barnacle Buster through them, to also open up end caps & replace O rings, as they deteriorate after a few years allowing salt water to come in contact with alloy housing. Not a good result - speaking from experience of buying a cat with fully serviced engines. Ha ha
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 00:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Well you should buy a couple of Speedi sleeves now cos you will need them in another 1000 hrs. Alternatively install one on the old shaft and and just swap it over when the second one goes (I take it you have a Cat?)
Speedi Sleeves have their place; I've got one fitted to an output shaft. They are not a "Silver Bullet" and certainly not a substitute for quality shafts in the first place. They are at best, a "band-aid" fix. They can be fitted to a slightly grooved shaft, provided it is not too deeply scored. If there is not enough metal under the sleeve, it may heat up, distort and slide out of position. There are many examples of Speedie Sleeves failing due to incorrect fittment, improper backing or being fitted to shafts that are too deeply worn.

Do you know of any quality aftermarket suppliers of Yanmar 3JH5E or 4JH5E heat exchangers?
Old 29-11-2017, 16:48   #15

That is why you put them on at first sign of a leak, if you just keep replacing the lip seal, the groove will get worse. Much cheaper than a new shaft. I don't know if the replacement shafts are hardened, or are they the same as the original?

I do recall seeing something on the net regarding refurb or generic HE, but that was a couple of years ago.

Tags
parts, yanmar