Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 12:21   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Wiring a new inverter

I'd like to install an inverter (and shore power switch) on my 400, and I'm curious about the AC side of the connections (DC seems clear), specific to the Lagoons.

The shore power goes into the Lagoon panel specific to these boats, and two sets of AC plugs come out. In fact, all AC goes through the panel, as the AC breakers for the chargers, water heater, and AC plugs is on the panel.

I obviously don't want to wire the inverter into the shore power line before it gets to the panel, as then the inverter output powers the battery chargers (bad news). If I try to wire the inverter/switch into the AC plugs after the panel, well then there's two of them to contend with rather than one, as they are on two separate circuits. If I split off the shore power line before the panel, but only use it on the AC-plugs, then I lose the circuit breaker protection on the Lagoon panel for those plugs.

I don't really want to go with a full inverter/charger, as it's more money than I need to spend since the factory Cristec chargers seem just fine, I'm just looking for inverter/switch.

I have a wiring diagram for the 400 from this site, but it doesn't include what the factory does with the inverter install. I also have a 450 wiring diagram which include the inverter, but the diagram is not much help as it integrates into the Lagoon panel for distribution.

Can anyone who has done an aftermarket inverter install let me know how you wired the AC?

I'd also like to wire the water heater into the inverter output through a timer (so as not to flatten batteries) any suggestions there also welcome.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 12:40   #2

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: Wiring a new inverter

I have the same issue on my 380, but I am going to get an inverter/charger. This allows for the wiring coming in from the dock to go directly to the same device. If I have shore power, then this will to the AC panel. The inverter would also go to the AC plugs. It knows where the AC is coming from, itself or the shore so it only allows a proper path.

While the inverter/charger is more $, you are going to need a cutout device so both devices can't power the AC at the same time (you really should have this, and not rely on remembering if you are plugged in or not), and the wiring costs more complex. At least that is my thinking.

Also fwiw, I was stunned on a new 380 that it came only with a charger and not an inverter/charger! I didn't get a chance to spec my boat, it was a boat show boat so I had to take it like it came, but didn't notice that it wasn't an inverter charger until after I was sailing it!

Is your 400 wiring diagram in English or French? Either way, I would love to get a copy, I had asked for this for my 380 and was told it is not available.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 15:59   #3

Quote"I'd also like to wire the water heater into the inverter output through a timer (so as not to flatten batteries) any suggestions there also welcome."

I wired the 1 hour timer between the Lagoon circuit breaker and the heater. Push to operate for one hour. The problem is when on shore power you still have to push to operate. I could install a bypass switch so its on all the time when connected to shore power, but then it could be left on the inverter when in use by accident.

My Victron Quatro inverter/charger is an auto switch, that selects from Shore power/ generator / inverter automatically and it is all feed to the Lagoon panel with the Christecs turned off but left installed as back up chargers.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 13:09   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Attached is the (unhelpful) page from the electrical diagram in my manual for the factory inverter.

The picture shows some kind of magic switcher box in the upper right, which allows both sides of electrical circuits to remain separate and yet switched into the inverter. No amount of zooming in allows me to make sense of it.

Anyone know what is this unusual box/where to get one?

How about a source for the A/C wiring connectors used in the boat, those 12-conductor things?

I've also attached a picture for the crazy bundle of wires where the inverter is supposed to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_092146.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	149314  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf L400 Inverter Electrical.pdf (315.2 KB, 67 views)
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 16:57   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post
I'd also like to wire the water heater into the inverter output through a timer (so as not to flatten batteries) any suggestions there also welcome.
I can't help with the 400 wiring I'm afraid but the inverter/charger that Paul has recommended and that I have gone for has 2 AC outputs with the second only live if there is an AC source such as shore or genny which could be your water heater so you can't flatten your batteries.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wiring