Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 06:40   #16
cruiser

Re: Wifi booster, do you have one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Do you lock the doors of your house and take the keys out of the cars ignition?

Why wouldn't you do the same for your modem/computer?
If someone chooses not to lock the door to his house house or car, that doesn't make it OK for strangers to come in and "share" his stuff.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 06:44   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
to get wifi cruising, you NEED one. otherwise you donot get the signal much less the connection.
here we are not able to precede the modem in use, so it is not theft. with permission from the owners of signal and the key to the connection(password), one can do anything. well, almost-- as long a sthe office modem doesnt need to be reset .
sounds like the ones thinking that using a booster is theft neeed to go back to wifi school. or better yet-- get out of the house and go cruising to see what the real world is about.
No, I'm not refering to those folks attempting to boost a weak signal eminating from a source they subscribe to, such as a weak marina signal.
Old 16-07-2016, 07:15   #18

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When I or most others pay for something.... Yes "it's mine," and I prefer others ask before they take it upon themselves to "share."

By "most others" you must be referring to folks you have politely questioned as to their opinion?

When I bought my place in the mountains, it contained what used to be the local swimming hole. My wife and I removed the "Posted" signs and built a nice park for families to enjoy with trails approaching the park so that they did not have to come through our yard.

It is easy to lock your wireless access point, if that is your thing.

Calling others thieves for using open systems is a bit out of line.

I wonder if you are as quick to insult people in person?
Old 16-07-2016, 07:44   #19

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I have a booster mounted on my masthead, but I am thinking about re-mounting it lower, perhaps on my arch, for better reception. The newer antennas are great too, offering 5G. Most marinas are making the switch with their wi-fi systems to 5G. My antenna is only 2G.

For those complaining about people "stealing" their wi-fi... put a password on your router or stop whining!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 07:52   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
By "most others" you must be referring to folks you have politely questioned as to their opinion?

When I bought my place in the mountains, it contained what used to be the local swimming hole. My wife and I removed the "Posted" signs and built a nice park for families to enjoy with trails approaching the park so that they did not have to come through our yard.

It is easy to lock your wireless access point, if that is your thing.

Calling others thieves for using open systems is a bit out of line.

I wonder if you are as quick to insult people in person?
Just because you prefer "to share" your swimming hole with others, doesn't then give you the right to "share" other peoples stuff whenever you see fit to do so.

Stealing is stealing.... 'seems to me you're just attempting to justify it.

I'm in Brindisi, Italy today, if you'd prefer the "insult" in person.
Old 16-07-2016, 08:09   #21

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Just because you prefer "to share" your swimming hole with others, doesn't then give you the right to "share" other peoples stuff whenever you see fit to do so.

Stealing is stealing.... 'seems to me you're just attempting to justify it.

I'm in Brindisi, Italy today, if you'd prefer the "insult" in person.

I find it highly unlikely we will ever meet. Of the mind or in person.

I prefer a bit deeper conversation.
Old 16-07-2016, 08:12   #22

To get a little bit back on track...

I've installed a few Bitstorm wifi systems on boats - this is one of the custom boat solutions based on 'professional' wifi radios from Ubiquiti. If there's a wifi hotspot available, these systems will get it. Besides the high-quality receiver, you're benefitting from having a weather-proof antenna mounted in an optimal position. Most systems include a second device to create a local wifi network in your boat.

A few years ago, I risked $20 for an Alfa USB wifi adaptor. It's not outdoor grade, and you can only raise it to the length of your usb cable, but it did get more access points than my laptop. So it's a portable low-end option.

(I notice on ebay that the current crop of Alfa devices are in the $30 to $50 range, so maybe these are even better now)

Of course there's the ethics to consider, of using someone's connection without permission, though many businesses do provide free guest wifi. Anyway, most consumer wifi equipment is now locked out of the box, and people are more cognisant of the dangers of leaving their networks open, so there are fewer open access points to exploit these days.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 08:19   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

In the marina we use a directional antenna and an extender/AP mounted in the boat.

This does not work at anchor though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 08:21   #24

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
"usable by any customer" I don't think you would be considered a customer. I'd consider it theft
Usable by any customer that is a Comcast customer and has an ID and password.

Nope not theft,....a service to their customers.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 08:51   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35

I am a (retired) computer programmer and University computer prof. I can do networking, and have.

But the primary word in that sentence is RETIRED. I am just tired of always jury-rigging, and changing settings in all our equipment every time we get to a new marina, etc.

I could have saved a few dollars and ordered all the parts and set up my own system... but scr@w it!
I ordered a Bitstorm Badboy Xtreme MJ. It arrived yesterday. This morning I opened the box, looked at the "quick setup chart", and plugged it all in. It was simple and took about 2 minutes to connect. The longest part was stripping and attaching 4 wires for the power.

Then I just logged in to the web page and selected the marina's wifi. I am online with a great connection!

I haven't even mounted the antenna, it's just lying on my nav station.

It is definitely worth the money. Simple, powerful. The way things are SUPPOSED to work.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 09:18   #26

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Using marina WiFi is ok when it's included, booster or not. Using local cafeteria WiFi for weeks after having once a cortado is stealing. Just IMHO

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 09:44   #27

Well said, Psneeld.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 16:05   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

for simple boost an external USB adapter made by Alfa is good enough

for more sophisticated solutions ubiquity networks builds professional grade outdoor equipment. complex to setup but dead cheap compared to overpriced marine suppliers.

but there are few open networks. at least in there Caribbean and the med you need to walk into the bars and consume some drinks to get the wifi key. so just do your ebusines there

I used to have a Bullet HP Wifi system but now use a local data Sim card for standard stuff and go to a bar for some heavy downloading. much more comfortable and more fun
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 17:27   #29

Boat: Lagoon 39

We use Badboy and it works great. Not cheap about $500 similar to Rogue Wave in cost. Installation is a little bit of work, running the cables and power line but once connected it finds many networks. Their management app selects the strongest signal and connects us seemlessly. It supports five wireless connections onboard. The system can use up amps so you will want to initally monitor power useage. In our case two computers it consumes 7-12 amps per hour. We turn it off when not in use.

As pointed out in earlier comments many if not most networks are locked as in password protected.

What we find interesting and a growing trend, as we sailed from the Virgin Islands all the way down to Grenada, we found free internet consistently in our anchorages while on the hook - not in a marina.

We are seeing that an increasing number of merchants find advertising free wifi is a good way to attract the cruiser community dollar for their regular business. For instance, here in Hog Island Bay, the local Island Water Marine provides free wifi to all cruisers. My guess is the business feels this is a good business practice. And guess what they are correct.

As cruisers, if we acquire a free wifi signal, we make a point of supporting the merchant on land. Even to the point once of having selected the wrong restaurant one time in Dominca (it didn't offfer free wifi) we got up from the table and moved to the restaurant that was providing us free wifi. We spent over $100 on dinner that night so my guess: they are happy in offering "free" wifi. This is not rocket science but instead business 101.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 17:42   #30

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Wifi booster, do you have one?

Can someone point me to one thread on any subject that doesn't quickly become a bitch session or pissing match? Geez, how about adding something of value to a thread rather than using each and every one as a bully pulpit.

Sorry for my addition to this thread drift.

We use a Rogue-Wave to boost weak Marina signals. Works OK, but not as well as we hoped.

Mike
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi