Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-07-2016, 03:25   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Wifi booster, do you have one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
On the subject of wifi frequencies, I understand that a different radio is needed for each frequency range, so in the case of the Ubiquiti Bullet, there is the M2 model for the 2.4GHz range, and the M5 for the 5 GHz range.
My question would be, which one to purchase, as I believe that the 2.4Ghz frequency has the greater range.

If I purchased the M2 would I be left with an obsolete set up in a couple of years time?
I retired my old Bullet and bought a Mikrotik Groove -- for exactly this reason. The Groove does both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Ubiquiti doesn't make one which does both.

The Groove also has a much better user interface, much easier to use.

To answer the other question -- you definitely want both. 2.4ghz has longer range, but 5ghz much greater resistance to interference. The improvement in throughput by using 5ghz in a busy marina can be dramatic. But you can't abandon 2.4ghz, because not only does it have more inherent range, but many marinas don't have any 5ghz connection yet.

Old 19-07-2016, 07:03   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Presently looking to buy one for cruising in Asia (less marinas, more anchorages near Resorts and Resteraunt

Dumb question....but if I assume Wi-Fi systems (5G) will improve in speeds over the next few year, should I buy the fastest system and will they still work on the slower system? (3+4G)
Where we are (EU) 5G is used to denote wireless mobile networks (along with 3G/4G/LTE, etc.). Wifi (often spelled Wi-Fi) is often used to denote wireless local area networks most often 802.11n or ac. Here, the technologies compete, with 4G having an edge as so many people have smartphones today.

Plenty of newest generation hardware is backwards compatible both on the wireless mobile and on the Wi-Fi platform.

Cheers,
b.

Old 19-07-2016, 07:30   #48

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

To clear up some misinformation in this thread:
1) If you hoist a USB wifi w/ antenna up a halyard, you do not get any signal loss. The USB cable is not an antenna cable. USB has a limit of 15', you can go longer with a booster, but that will be your biggest constraint.
2) Depending on where you cruise, 5G may or may not be around. I brought 5G gear to Mexico and saw it so infrequently I stopped checking for it.
3) If you are trying to get a signal through a forest of masts, 2.4 is better than 5. If you have a clear view, 5G will be better, but you seldom have a clear view.
4) A lot of vendors make it hard to use WEP, since it's insecure. If you cruise in the 3rd world, you will run in to a lot of WEP.

Now I'm going to look for some unpassword protected wifi and get on it just to piss kenomac off.
Old 19-07-2016, 08:23   #49
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

This is all keerG to me (reverse Greek). Just what do I need for a booster system? I assume:

- antenna
- cable & mount
- do I need a router/modem???? or does the antenna just plug into a laptop???
- do I need a booster for a good signal?????
- if I want wireless do I just plug the antenna to a wireless router just like at home???
Old 19-07-2016, 08:35   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
This is all keerG to me (reverse Greek). Just what do I need for a booster system? I assume:

- antenna
- cable & mount
- if I want wireless do I just plug the antenna to a wireless router just like at home???
Yes, it must be Greek. There are plenty of sources on the web to get the required basic minimum understanding.

- antenna YES, external and high gain,
- into a booster,
- routers are not adapters, you are mixing things up.

A plain setup is : the antenna then coax cable to the booster and the booster either creates its own AP or else you plug the booster with an ethernet wire into a routers 'Internet' socket. Then the router does the rest.

There are very many alternative ways things can get wired. But not everything is possible.

In our boat: an antenna (outside) on a wire coax into one connector on a wireless signal extender (signal booster, TP-Link one, below deck) the other socket of the booster left with the small antenna. This one creates an AP within the boat. This is less range than a proper signal booster designed just for doing that. But it works fine up to about half a mile in plain sight of the bars.

Study the many pieces of wifi hardware and understand which one does exactly what. Asking a router to become an adapter is fine only if you have a specific router and run OpenWRT on it (or similar other OS).

Cheers,
b.
Old 19-07-2016, 08:35   #51

Boat: Wildcat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

- antenna
- cable & mount
If you purchase the Bitstorm Badboy Xtreme-MJ then it comes with everything you need to put your laptop online.

You can plug the cable directly into your laptop and you are set.

If you want to have more than just your laptop you have several options (in order of easiest to major-pain-in-the-butt):
1. Purchase the "Unleashed N High Power" add-on. This is basically a wireless router that is all set up for the Badboy,
2. Purchase a router somewhere else and connect it to the Badboy and that router will share with other devices in your boat (like you would do at home),
3. Configure your windows laptop to share the internet using it's internal wi-fi (don't come crying to me to fix it).
Old 19-07-2016, 08:44   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That was using Latin to explain Greek. Websites explain it the same way.

What's an "AP"?

I read an antenna description that said all it need is to plug into your laptop. So is everything else just to make a "better" system i.e. - a booster to pull in more signals, a wireless just so you don't need to plug the connection into your device?
Old 19-07-2016, 10:40   #53

Contact Bob at:

marinepc@islandtimepc.com

http://islandtimepc.com

850-890-2815

He will provide a complete package at a great price and also provides awesome support.

I'm an extremely satisfied customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-07-2016, 11:02   #54

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida

Thumbs up to Island Time PC and Bob.

I've bugged him many number of times, weekends, etc., and he always answers or calls back immediately.

Nice product too...
Old 19-07-2016, 11:15   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is what you guys are calling a "booster" a POE (power over ethernet)? I've just spend 2+ hours "educating" myself and then reread this thread start to finish and it seems very mixed up (or my Greek isn't working)
Old 19-07-2016, 11:27   #56

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

No booster.

The best boat setup is:
1) Antenna
if you use a cable you get signal loss, so directly connect it to
2) wifi router - this device is the one that actually connects to the network on the beach
connects via network cable (cat5e or better) to
3) wifi router #2 - this is your boat network, typically inside your boat, this is the network all your stuff on the boat attaches to.

So your notebook connects to #3, then you manage #2 via a web browser and hook it up to the local marina wifi, then you have internet for everything on the boat network.

Otherwise, when you get somewhere, you manually connect all your stuff to the marina wifi, assuming the signal is strong enough inside your boat (it's usually not)

When it comes to boosters, we use those for cellular signals.
Old 19-07-2016, 12:45   #57

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Another ++ for Bob at Island Time. He will sell you an easy to use system at a reasonable price and you don't have to be computer savvy to use it.
Old 19-07-2016, 22:54   #58

I personally would not go for any setup that only picked up 1 frequency

For mobile data network I like the look of the StellaDoradus product depending on where you are you can choose the 3 band or 5 band product - this is a link to their home product 5 band.

5 Band Repeater boosting mobile networks in home and office

I am not associated with the company nor have I tried the product, but that kind of set up looks very good and at quite a price to match it.

There is a simple frequency explanation at the bottom of the page.
Old 20-07-2016, 00:10   #59
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
There appears to be some confusion about terms describing WiFi, versus mobile data, or what we used to call cellular.

WiFi uses two different frequency ranges. The earlier WiFi devices used frequencies in the 2.4 Ghz range. Newer WiFi standards us frequencies in the 5 GHz range.

Some folks are using shorthand terms, 2G and 5G to describe these, where the G is short for gigahertz.

In mobile data, or cellular, the G is short for Generation. As in second generation, third generation, etc.
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
As I am presently rewiring my Masts for new Vesper AIS,.. and a WiFi booster .... Big Thanks for clarifying this jibstay.

If I understand correctly:

At anchor:
1.....I need to find a booster to access (with permission) a person whose shore side WiFi router is using either the 2.4G or 5GHz range?

IS THERE ONE BOOSTER THAT CAN BOOST BOTH RANGES?

2.... To improve range and signal strength from commercial telecom Mobile Data whose Towers are equipped with 2G, 3G, 4G.. etc..... Can I find a booster for 3rd and 4th generation services?

IF YES, then I will need two different types of boosters for 1 and 2?
.....IS MY UNDERSTANDING CORRECT?

3....IF signal strength is by line of sight and I have room at top of 50ft Mast to put a booster antenna up there......, Does the cable line loss defeat the improve height and boost?

Once I understand this I will order via Bob at Islandtime as recommended by nany

FYI
My cruising grounds are Philippines/Malaysia/Indonesia

The South East Asian Telecom companies have invested in a lot in tower coverage since they did not have 'wired coverage' before in remote towns.

Towers. .... Originally for cellular and SMS to remote towns, Telecom companies have rapidly upgraded from 3G to 4G.. So that we now have almost total Coverage,
Old 20-07-2016, 00:45   #60

My understanding from the marketing material is that the Wirie Pro should have all the frequencies covered, EXCEPT 5.8Ghz I missed that the last time I looked, hmmm.

Point of reference Marine WiFi and 3G/4G/LTE FAQ – The Wirie

Mobile data covered - What frequencies are supported? The Wiriepro supports all worldwide 2G/3G/4G GSM frequencies. Specifically: 850/900/1800/1900 (2G) and 850(B5)/900(B8)/AWS(B4)/1900(B2)/2100(B1) (3/4G). The Wiriepro also supports LTE (optional) frequencies in the Americas and Europe: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B13/B17/B20.

My thought is if you are going to be somewhere for any decent amount of time, that mobile data would work out more satisfying.

Tags
wifi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: