Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2015, 01:12   #1

Which Lagoon catamaran sails better ?

Hi,
I was questioning myself considering all the lagoon models (included the former ones), which one is the fastest and the much marine catamaran built from Lagoon yards
james3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 01:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Which Lagoon catamaran sails better ?

Quickest (foot for foot) would probably be the Tolsen Pearson (TPI) Lagoons built in the USA

But none are impressively fast.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 01:55   #3

IMHO, with Lagoons there is a distinct correlation between sailing ability and model age ie. the older models sail better than the newer versions.

Bear in mind a larger boat ( water line length is the key, not weight) has an advantage over a similarly designed smaller model.

The best sailing Lagoon is the biggest, oldest one.

If you want a great sailing Lagoon, go for one of the original Jeanneau models, designed (as now) by VPLP. The Jeanneau Lagoon 47 and 55 were very fast and far better constructed than under the current CNB regime.

Mind you they won't have many of the "comfort" options or internal space of current models. You can't have everything.

By the way, if you want a catamaran that sails well, why are you looking at Lagoons? Comfort, yes. Load capability, yep. Sea kindly, OK. Ease of handling, tick. Value, most definitely. Performance, maybe another brand?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 01:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Quickest (foot for foot) would probably be the Tolsen Pearson (TPI) Lagoons built in the USA

But none are impressively fast.
Yep, TPI built some of the smaller "Jeanneau Lagoons" under licence, and built them well too.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 02:37   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Maybe the 42 was fast. The 37. No way

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 02:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
IMHO, with Lagoons there is a distinct correlation between sailing ability and model age ie. the older models sail better than the newer versions.

Bear in mind a larger boat ( water line length is the key, not weight) has an advantage over a similarly designed smaller model.

The best sailing Lagoon is the biggest, oldest one.

If you want a great sailing Lagoon, go for one of the original Jeanneau models, designed (as now) by VPLP. The Jeanneau Lagoon 47 and 55 were very fast and far better constructed than under the current CNB regime.

Mind you they won't have many of the "comfort" options or internal space of current models. You can't have everything.

By the way, if you want a catamaran that sails well, why are you looking at Lagoons? Comfort, yes. Load capability, yep. Sea kindly, OK. Ease of handling, tick. Value, most definitely. Performance, maybe another brand?
You mean that the building quality of a Lagoon 47 is better compared to the latest models 440 or 450 ??

Other brand ? Lagoon seems a pretty good choice for someone that is not so much expert, other brand could be Chris White or Outremer, faster but you need skill to manage.
Lagoon "camper" Catamaran seems a pretty good deal to me
any other suggestion is accepted!!
Old 29-07-2015, 02:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Yep, TPI built some of the smaller "Jeanneau Lagoons" under licence, and built them well too.
Never heard about this TPI Lagoon clones as I understood
Old 29-07-2015, 04:43   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

They were not clones - Lagoon used TPI to build certain of their models in the US.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 06:55   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450

The L450 sails surprisingly well for such a fat cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 07:25   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

That's Tillotson-Pearson btw. They made the 42, 37 and 35cc which stands for coastal cruiser.
The TPI boats were technically advanced for their day. I think they all were vinylester and infused. Lagoon had them built in the US to meet the Jones Act requirement for charter boats. That charter provision is easier now for foreign made boats.
James, an interesting feature on the TPI Lagoons and the older Outremers is the self tacking jib or solent sail as they say in Europe. You just turn the wheel to tack. The modern Lagoons and most cats all have genoas which is more work but not a dealbreaker. However some of the brand new Lagoons have gone back to solents with a genoa as an option. I think Seawind is the only other builder with solents.
Old 29-07-2015, 07:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catopia View Post
The L450 sails surprisingly well for such a fat cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You think that the Lagoon 450 sails better than the Lagoon 440?
I never been on the 450 but it seemed to me really a fat cat and I thought it was slower and heavier than the previous model
Old 29-07-2015, 07:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
That's Tillotson-Pearson btw. They made the 42, 37 and 35cc which stands for coastal cruiser.
The TPI boats were technically advanced for their day. I think they all were vinylester and infused. Lagoon had them built in the US to meet the Jones Act requirement for charter boats. That charter provision is easier now for foreign made boats.
James, an interesting feature on the TPI Lagoons and the older Outremers is the self tacking jib or solent sail as they say in Europe. You just turn the wheel to tack. The modern Lagoons and most cats all have genoas which is more work but not a dealbreaker. However some of the brand new Lagoons have gone back to solents with a genoa as an option. I think Seawind is the only other builder with solents.
I see, since I live in Europe I never heard of those TPI Lagoons, anyway I suppose that the self tacking jib is an optional that can be installed to every cat (am I wrong?), I suppose that it should be really good especially in such a cruise boat
Old 29-07-2015, 08:02   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3 View Post
I see, since I live in Europe I never heard of those TPI Lagoons, anyway I suppose that the self tacking jib is an optional that can be installed to every cat (am I wrong?), I suppose that it should be really good especially in such a cruise boat
I imagine the TPI boats get to Europe occasionally. I think there was one in Oz. Unfortunately and most times the self tacking jib needs to be designed into the boat from the start. It has less sail area than a genoa and the boat will be slower on a retrofit. The naval architects figure for this and do what they have to do to balance out the main and headsail area to the boats dimensions and weight. Also the track is mounted directly in front of the mast. In many cats there is no place for it to go. See the pic.
I forgot to mention that the Maine Cats also have solents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagoon 42.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	106291  
Old 29-07-2015, 08:43   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to wsfenix2002

Taking advantage of this link (permission to James3) it is possible to compare Lagonn with Leopard? What is the best in cruising and navigation. Thanks.
wsfenix2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 10:13   #15

Try the rest but buy the best ,Get a MANTA CAT .
Alterboy 65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, lagoon, sail, sails