Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-07-2015, 11:32   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Which Lagoon catamaran sails better ?

This thread is a load of nonsense.....mine is better than yours?! Duh

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea

Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 12:24   #17

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

I have had my TPI 42' for ten years and can attest to it's performance. Having driven performance cats and cruising cats in Hawaii for two decades, everything from Cheoy's original Aikane ( holder of the record speed California to Hawaii for 20 years) to big Lagoon's, FP's, Manta's and Katana's the TPI fits in the middle. Faster than a Manta but slower than a Katana they are known as a "double digit catamaran". Under 15kts wind expect 7kts to 8kts speed but when it freshens to 18kts to 25kts you will be in double digits. I consistently sail her at 12kts in 20+ kts breeze on beam to broad reaches and climb at 10kts in same. I disagree with earlier posts that weight isn't a contributing factor. With all four water tanks full and fuel plus cruising provisions any cat will slow dramatically. My consideration of purchase going forward would not be ultimate speed as much as "motion in the ocean". She rarely pounds even to windward in 15' Hawaiian seas but she does pound. I've been on others that scared the s*%# out of the sound of waves smashing the hull. Later Lagoons with inside overhangs to maximize cabin space pound horribly. The self tacking jib is fantastic. You drive the boat like a car and I never get caught in irons. Balance is great and the autohelm works very little to keep her on course. They sail like a much smaller cat responding to backwinding, tacking and trimming easily with one person. I would do without V drives next time though and have often wondered if a little more weight with 4 cylinder diesels might make faster better. Contact me directly if I can be of any help.

Old 29-07-2015, 12:45   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I liked my TPI 42 very well. The boat was certainly fast enough for me. My friends had a custom aluminum Perry designed 48 ft mono. Usually when we sailed in tandem for the day, if it was to weather, they would beat us to the anchorage, but just barely. The TPI 42 and 37 have actual keels which probably helps to weather. I think the draft was 3-4 ft.
In heavier air we often saw 12 knots of boat speed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 19:22   #19

Location: Liveaboard cruiser. Home port Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3 View Post
You mean that the building quality of a Lagoon 47 is better compared to the latest models 440 or 450 ??

Other brand ? Lagoon seems a pretty good choice for someone that is not so much expert, other brand could be Chris White or Outremer, faster but you need skill to manage.
Lagoon "camper" Catamaran seems a pretty good deal to me
any other suggestion is accepted!!
Yes, the quality of construction is far better in the Jeanneau Lagoon 47 compared to a new L450. It is however, an old older design. Some old cars were very well built, but the new models still attract the most sales.

Certainly, there has been a reduction in quality of build over time from Lagoon. This does not mean that they are currently defective or not fit for purpose. I do believe however, the the current crop of Lagoons (and I own one) will not last as long or be as trouble free as some of the earlier models.

From my limited observations the L440 was built better than the current L450, the L440 has better cabinetry, fit and finish, at least. The older Lagoons made by Jeanneau (not sure about TPI, owners can comment ) incorporated carbon fibre into key structural parts in the layup. Perhaps, they were built too well to be economically viable consumer products?

As I said in my previous post, recent Lagoon catamarans have many good attributes as a cruising vessel, that's why I bought one, but sheer sailing ability is not their strong point. They sail well enough for my purpose, and not well enough for some others. Every boat is a compromise, only you can decide what suits you best. Good luck with your search.
Old 30-07-2015, 10:50   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

None of them. They all sail like a shoe.
Old 30-07-2015, 11:22   #21

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
A mono huller with the need to snipe others...? Next time you look at the shape of your boat compared to a cat check which one has the "foot print" of a "shoe".
Oh, BTW if your knotmeter registers 12kts, ( as mine often does), check to see if you're in a 6kt head current .....
Old 02-08-2015, 02:28   #22

Location: Liveaboard cruiser. Home port Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Quote:
If ignorance is bliss, you should be very happy indeed.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
If ignorance is bliss, you should be very happy indeed.
The lagoon catamarans aren't that bad but you have to admit that they don't sail upwind so much compared to other models that are designed to be much more marine, and they are a bit slow
Old 02-08-2015, 08:30   #24
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Possibly the older models as mentioned above. Over 10kn consistent STW is a very rare day aboard a L380 or L400. That said, the L400 sails well enough for our needs. As far as the comment above, well heres a plotter snip to ponder over while you make your decision. The Red track is our L400 sailing upwind into 15kn TWS and 2-3kn adverse current. The yellow track is a newish Outremer 50 in the same conditions. The current makes for pretty poor tacking angles for both. Both sailed by experienced sailors in comfort and both enjoy the same anchorage and sunsets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sephina track martinique.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	106524   Click image for larger version

Name:	teoula.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	106525  

Old 02-08-2015, 09:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Possibly the older models as mentioned above. Over 10kn consistent STW is a very rare day aboard a L380 or L400. That said, the L400 sails well enough for our needs. As far as the comment above, well heres a plotter snip to ponder over while you make your decision. The Red track is our L400 sailing upwind into 15kn TWS and 2-3kn adverse current. The yellow track is a newish Outremer 50 in the same conditions. The current makes for pretty poor tacking angles for both. Both sailed by experienced sailors in comfort and both enjoy the same anchorage and sunsets
Thanks for sharing, after all I still think that Lagoon are the best deal for the price range they cost, they are probably the best for living space and comfort.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:56   #26

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

On a broad reach, 15 knot winds, I'll cruise 8 to 10 knots, loaded with stuff in our Lagoon 380. Cruised once from Miami to Port Canaveral at 13 to 14 knots, but that was with a 3 to 4 knot Gulf Stream push. Still exciting though!!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:36   #27

We have a L450 and are actually really surprised at the performance. I haven't sailed that many boats but our last boat was a Bene Oceanis 45 (2013 model) which had excellent performance. The L450 wouldn't keep up in really light winds or sail as close to the wind but in anything over 15kts the L450 would be on par or better (apart from sailing as high to the wind) and is certainly way way more comfortable to sail. We overtook many similar length monos during our 4 months in the Bahamas and seemed to be sailing a lot more on lighter days than other boats (not just charters) that seemed to prefer motoring when the wind was under as kts.
For a cat they're definitely lower in the performance scale but we looked at pretty much everything on the market with a mind to never buying a Lagoon but we couldn't get past all the space and livability of the L450 and in the end couldn't be happier with our choice.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:03   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Bit of sour grapes here from an old war horse!

She's not an Outremer but she holds her own well enough. The boys above have given other credos for the Lagoons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Not so shabby!.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	107123  
Old 11-08-2015, 11:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Bit of sour grapes here from an old war horse!

She's not an Outremer but she holds her own well enough. The boys above have given other credos for the Lagoons.
Sorry for a thread drift but I see you have exact same Raymarine set-up as us. How is it working? We have had a lot of issues (mainly with depth and wind) and they are far from solved so much so that I consider it a risk to the boat and may replace the whole lot with Garmin. Just wondering if it's possible to sort out (already had multiple techs look at it) or if we're just throwing good money after bad.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:10   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
Sorry for a thread drift but I see you have exact same Raymarine set-up as us. How is it working? We have had a lot of issues (mainly with depth and wind) and they are far from solved so much so that I consider it a risk to the boat and may replace the whole lot with Garmin. Just wondering if it's possible to sort out (already had multiple techs look at it) or if we're just throwing good money after bad.
Have you upgraded to the recently released Lighthouse 2 versions 14? Our Raymarine system has been performing rather well, better with the v14 upgrade, but I know others similar to you who've had issues. Note the depth sensor and your wind meters are not Raymarine products so there may be a separate issue with these units.

Tags
catamaran, lagoon, sail, sails

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: