Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 09:32   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Where to put a clutch for bowsprit foresails?

I have the factory installed bowsprit, and am using it to currently run my gennaker.

The way it is currently installed, I have to reach out to the end of the bowsprit to attach the foot of the gennaker furler to the end of the sprit. A dangerous and awkward operation. I saw in other threads the original idea of Lagoon (to which I had no idea) was to pull the pin on the boat side of the sprit to haul it on the deck, attach the furler, and reattach the sprit. This spring connector has long since corroded shut, and it seems like a poor design regardless.

Is seems more obvious to simply run a line from the deck to a block on the end of the sprit, and secure it with a clutch. I see lots of other bowsprit manufacturers that put a clutch on the sprit.

It seems like the handiest place to put a clutch is next to the anchor chain rail on the deck, close to the front of the boat. This would be easiest to use, but might interfere with bridle deployment and I'd have to secure it to the deck where there is anti-skid texture.

Another option would be to attach it to the bowsprit itself. But then I still have to reach out awkwardly, and the bowsprit is curved so the clutch might not fit well.

Any advice or other bowsprit clutch diy installations?

Thanks.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowsprit, clutch, sail, sails