Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 14:04   #1

Well insulated? Might live abord in cold (really cold) climate...

My wife and i live in Scandinavia where the winters can get really cold during the winter. The temperature is then usually around 0 to -5 degrees celcius, with occasional drops down to -20 degrees celcius.

We're thinking about buying a L440 to live on all year round. Sailing to warmer areas during the winter is not an option since our kids still go to school.

Ice against the hull won't be a problem as the marina provides guaranteed ice free berths.

My main concern is how well insulated the L440 is? I've googled the subject but haven't found any usefull information.

I hope someone here at CF either knows anything about how well/badly insulated L440's are, or have first hand experience of actually living on a L440 in a cold climate.

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks
MakeItHappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 14:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Well insulated? Might live abord in cold (really cold) climate...

Hi,
I personally think that with such a huge single glazed areas no insulation of other parts can suffice.
The Lagoons are built for warm climate mainly and any insulation is aimed against overheating. For this You do not need such all around protection like against cold. And... You will have a lot of days far below zero...
My feeling is - the cost of adaptation of Lagoon for all year around liveaboard in such a climate will be rather high. Anyway, if You insist on doing something like this some day, just send me P.M. and I can put You in contacts in Poland
Cheaper than Scandinavia for sure

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 07:52   #3

We have a lagoon 500. I would not say it is well insulated for a cold environment. I doubt it was ever a design consideration. On the plus side all of your water lines should be on interior walls or below the water line (which should stay above freezing).

It will be chilly...
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hello.

I noticed this is your post in the forum.

I assume you will be asking others in your local area about living aboard in those cold winter conditions. I hope you will return to the forum and post what you learn about the topic.

While it is not the same type of boat you are considering, I have read of others who live aboard monos in some winter conditions of the PNW or even high latitude sailing and icebound , using diesel or wood heaters and stoves to heat and to reduce condensation, one of the problems with warm sealed boats.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:34   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 43

I live in a 380 s2 in Norway. It's snowing right now. Insulation is not good, but it works. Just use plenty of shore power and diesel heaters.
Sun Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, MakeItHappen, and Sun Flyer.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 17:35   #7

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

-6 c onboard my 400S2 last night.
This was the first time I have used the factory installed hydronic heat system while tied to the dock.
It was warm and toasty all night.
I have had no problems with moisture.
My primary heat is electric ( 2- 1500w box heaters with fans) and I have had the fans in the rooms on circulating the air inside.
Its all good aboard S/V MUSKOKA this winter.
Canada Eh !
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440 OV

I live on a 440 and would say that this is a bad plan.

Firstly you will have a serious condensation issue, secondly with effectively four sides in the water v two on a mono you have a greater surface area to lose heat through and all the heat you make will tend to drift up into the saloon.

We regularly wake up and it is a lot colder in the cabin that in the central area and it is a lot colder on the boat than it is outside.

BUT given the choice and enough heaters and dehumidifiers, get a 440 over a mono any day of the week.

Hope that helps
Old 21-12-2014, 12:43   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItHappen View Post
My wife and i live in Scandinavia where the winters can get really cold during the winter. The temperature is then usually around 0 to -5 degrees celcius, with occasional drops down to -20 degrees celcius.

We're thinking about buying a L440 to live on all year round. Sailing to warmer areas during the winter is not an option since our kids still go to school.

Ice against the hull won't be a problem as the marina provides guaranteed ice free berths.

My main concern is how well insulated the L440 is? I've googled the subject but haven't found any usefull information.

I hope someone here at CF either knows anything about how well/badly insulated L440's are, or have first hand experience of actually living on a L440 in a cold climate.

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks

Talk to this guy in Tromsø: https://aciblue.wordpress.com/winter/
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 03:19   #10

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Nice to se Sun Flyer finaly come with his first words, he has been lurking in here for a long time.
And he has many years living in "half boats" and now a cat L380.
and it is Snowing here on the west coast also now.
Merry Christmas to you al.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote