Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2017, 02:44   #1
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Water pressure and washdown pumps

Just in case someone is interested .. I just finished that project of adding a washdown pump to my L440 and move the water pressure system (WPS) at the same time. I have installed both pumps below the chart table where there is a *lot* a unused space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171231_091638.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	161288

This is version 1.0 and I will make it a bit more clean latter on as I have other projects in that area.

Pros:
- I can put 3 more fenders on the port side of the front locker. The WPS pump was waisting a lot of space there.
- Less elec cables & plumbing hoses in the locker, I feel more comfortable throwing stuff in it
- Pumps inside the boat are less prone to corrosion. The WPS Johnson pump is still doing fine after 11 years in the locker though !
- The WPS pump works way less often (but for a longer time) thanks to the 8 litre pressure tank that replaces the original 2 l.

Cons:
- A little more pump noise in the salon, especially the johnson. I am considering buying a jabsco (same as the washdown) and keep the johnson as a spare.

The washdown pump (jabsco 82600 "parmax plus 6") works just as expected: about the same pressure as in a good marina. Ok, it will suck about 150 to 200l of fresh water but being able to clean the boat at sea or at anchor after a passage is so so cool ! One of my best addition to the boat !!
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 06:46   #2

Re: Water pressure and washdown pumps

Nice job.
Couple of questions, if you get a split in the pressured side of the hose you may get a fine mist or jet of salt water in the space, hopefully no chance of hitting instruments in the Nav station? If it does leak where does the water go, and do you use a relay with thicker wires to power the pump for long runs, we found when we upgraded the pump it tripped the circuit breaker at the panel when we ran it for more than 5 minutes continuous until we put a relay in.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 07:04   #3

I gather the washdown pump uses freshwater? Why install a seperate pump for a freshwater washdown? Why not just use the fresh water pressure pump and add a hose outlet?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 10:30   #4
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Nice job.
Couple of questions, if you get a split in the pressured side of the hose you may get a fine mist or jet of salt water in the space, hopefully no chance of hitting instruments in the Nav station? If it does leak where does the water go, and do you use a relay with thicker wires to power the pump for long runs, we found when we upgraded the pump it tripped the circuit breaker at the panel when we ran it for more than 5 minutes continuous until we put a relay in.
Good question ! problem not solved yet but I am considering a solution ...

In the meantime, let's say I trust the system not to fail in such a way, and if it does it is fresh water only ! So if you are thinking about a failure of the washdown pump, it can only happen when it is ON and I am using it, so I will quickly be able to stop it in case of a leak.
Old 31-12-2017, 10:44   #5
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I gather the washdown pump uses freshwater? Why install a seperate pump for a freshwater washdown? Why not just use the fresh water pressure pump and add a hose outlet?
Yes, fresh water only ! the answer is in the spec of the washdown pump:
22.7 l/mn instead of about 16 for the WPS
4.8 bar instead of 2.8 for the WPS, this is what makes the big difference !

I did plug a hose on a tap a few times to rinse the cockpit, it would take ages to clean the whole boat with such low pressure.
Old 31-12-2017, 22:15   #6

Sorry I didn't read your post closely enough. I assumed your wash down pump could dispense seawater, as does ours, basically for washing mud off the anchor chain as it is retrieved and other areas. The wash down hose connection can flip between sea water (powered by a Johnson wash down pump) and the Jabsco fresh water system pump.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 16:36   #7

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Nice job! Thanks for sharing your Deck Washer solutions, .

Questions,
  • Do you have a water maker on board?
  • Is the blue tank your new PV if so what brand is it?
  • I take it one pump pumps fresh water from your water tanks into the PV and the other pump is to wash the deck?
  • Would you replace both johnson pumps with Jabsco 82600 pumps?
  • What is a "parmax plus 6"?
Happy New Year!
Kryg SV. Skoiern IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Just in case someone is interested .. I just finished that project of adding a washdown pump to my L440 and move the water pressure system (WPS) at the same time. I have installed both pumps below the chart table where there is a *lot* a unused space.

Attachment 161288

This is version 1.0 and I will make it a bit more clean latter on as I have other projects in that area.

Pros:
- I can put 3 more fenders on the port side of the front locker. The WPS pump was waisting a lot of space there.
- Less elec cables & plumbing hoses in the locker, I feel more comfortable throwing stuff in it
- Pumps inside the boat are less prone to corrosion. The WPS Johnson pump is still doing fine after 11 years in the locker though !
- The WPS pump works way less often (but for a longer time) thanks to the 8 litre pressure tank that replaces the original 2 l.

Cons:
- A little more pump noise in the salon, especially the johnson. I am considering buying a jabsco (same as the washdown) and keep the johnson as a spare.

The washdown pump (jabsco 82600 "parmax plus 6") works just as expected: about the same pressure as in a good marina. Ok, it will suck about 150 to 200l of fresh water but being able to clean the boat at sea or at anchor after a passage is so so cool ! One of my best addition to the boat !!
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:09   #8
rom

@kryg,

yes watermaker is Dessalator 12V 100l/h that I installed late 2016. About 330 hours of use the first year ! Energy supply is 1300W of solar panels, I do not have a generator, I live on the boat, only on rare occasions do I enter marinas ...

PV ? The blue accumulator tank is jabsco 8l. I discovered it is a rebrand of some italian company, so one could probably get a better deal.

Both pumps directly connected to the fresh water tank (900l). The washdown pump is a brand new jabsco 82605-0092, sometimes called "hotshot".The water pressure pump is the original johnson that was factory installed on the boat.

If by june the 82605 prooves to be a good performer I shall buy a jabsco 82600, sometimes called "parmax plus 6", to replace the aging Johnson. It is the exact same pump as the 82605 except is has a pressure controller to stay within 1.8-2.8 bar.
Old 02-01-2018, 15:28   #9

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
@kryg,

yes watermaker is Dessalator 12V 100l/h that I installed late 2016. About 330 hours of use the first year ! Energy supply is 1300W of solar panels, I do not have a generator, I live on the boat, only on rare occasions do I enter marinas ...

PV ? The blue accumulator tank is jabsco 8l. I discovered it is a rebrand of some italian company, so one could probably get a better deal.

Both pumps directly connected to the fresh water tank (900l). The washdown pump is a brand new jabsco 82605-0092, sometimes called "hotshot".The water pressure pump is the original johnson that was factory installed on the boat.

If by june the 82605 prooves to be a good performer I shall buy a jabsco 82600, sometimes called "parmax plus 6", to replace the aging Johnson. It is the exact same pump as the 82605 except is has a pressure controller to stay within 1.8-2.8 bar.
Thank you for your reply, I find it helpful. I guess your living on a cat, by the amount of solar wattage output. May I ask, what battierys and total amps size you have to store your solar power?
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 00:52   #10
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Thank you for your reply, I find it helpful. I guess your living on a cat, by the amount of solar wattage output. May I ask, what battierys and total amps size you have to store your solar power?
yes the lagoon 440 is a cat indeed. I installed 1000Ah@12V, that is 4x 250Ah UCG Ultracell batteries in parallel. I initially thought those were GEL batts as this is how they are advertised in any shop, but I am not so sure anymore as Ultracell says nothing about it. Anyway, nothing to complain about after almost 2 years of everyday use.

Tags
water