Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:08   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F
very noisy B&G autopilot

dear All,
just took my new Lagoon 450 from les sables d'ollone to Cambrils (spain).
during the trip, it was very difficult to sleep in the owners cabin due to a very noisy autopilot.
do other owners of the 450 have the same problem, or is this a 'warranty' issue?
thanks for you responses...
Yves
Amberina
Amberina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:02   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: very noisy B&G autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberina View Post
dear All,
just took my new Lagoon 450 from les sables d'ollone to Cambrils (spain). during the trip, it was very difficult to sleep in the owners cabin due to a very noisy autopilot. do other owners of the have the same problem, or is this a 'warranty' issue?
Amberina
If your 450 is fitted with the Lacombe&Schmitt linear drive 50ST hydraulic system, then Yes, its noisy. Ive had correspondence with L&S about this and they are aware of it - its the opening/closing of lock valves that are loud however its 'normal' i.e. its the nature of the beast. When I talked to them 2yrs back they said a future version would solve this - I guess they're not there yet.

However they are very reliable systems even though the noise is disconcerning. Do get yourself one of L&S's Service Kits. Your AP is you best friend!

If you come up with a solution, other than earplugs, do let me (us) know.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 17:03   #3

Is their a quitter product that could be used to replace the B&G? Incredible that Lagoon would 1. use this in the first place after knowing for at least a couple of years that it is a problem. 2. place a noisy mechanical device within ear shot of the owners cabin. Couldn't they at least put it on the other side near the guest cabin. Thoughtless things like this give me serious pause about their product and thinking of management.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 17:12   #4

I don't have a lagoon but I sleep on top of an Alpha 3000 AP and I can't even hear it.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 04:21   #5

very noisy B&G autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Is their a quitter product that could be used to replace the B&G? Incredible that Lagoon would 1. use this in the first place after knowing for at least a couple of years that it is a problem. 2. place a noisy mechanical device within ear shot of the owners cabin. Couldn't they at least put it on the other side near the guest cabin. Thoughtless things like this give me serious pause about their product and thinking of management.

I guess you didn't read the previous thread.....its not the B&G components. Read again.
If you want to chalk up thoughtless things....you don't need to start with a Lagoon. Begin with boats from the letter A and continue till you get to Z.....
Old 13-08-2016, 20:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
I guess you didn't read the previous thread.....its not the B&G components. Read again.
If you want to chalk up thoughtless things....you don't need to start with a Lagoon. Begin with boats from the letter A and continue till you get to Z.....
Yeh, Steve. We feel your pain. Did you read the mooring line thread about how he doubted that the oiginal Lagoon lines would be "optimal"? LOL No idea; our originals have been excellent and would hold the "Queen Mary".

Going walkabout does have a point, in that it would not be big job to swap the AP drive over to the other hull, if the L & S unit was too noisy in the owner's cabin. BTW, they are a great drive unit. I'm told Lagoon used them because the previous Raymarine units sometimes got too quite. They kept breaking.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 11:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Yeh, Steve. We feel your pain. Did you read the mooring line thread about how he doubted that the oiginal Lagoon lines would be "optimal"? LOL No idea; our originals have been excellent and would hold the "Queen Mary".

Going walkabout does have a point, in that it would not be big job to swap the AP drive over to the other hull, if the L & S unit was too noisy in the owner's cabin. BTW, they are a great drive unit. I'm told Lagoon used them because the previous Raymarine units sometimes got too quite. They kept breaking.

Yes, moving the L&S hydraulic system and the Reference arm to the port side would not be a complicated project, quite doable. Or better yet ... add a second one for redundancy to the port side. Our friends on their Outreme49 did this a few yrs back. Probably a wise thing if one cruises wide and far. In our 19k of seamiles the Raymarine and L&S AP has been a champ and we have a lot more miles approaching......mmmmm.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:59   #8

Quote:
Point taken. I reread and saw the noisy autopilot wasn't B&G. And I take your point on thoughtlessness being pandemic in the industry.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 15:05   #9

Quote:
Yes, moving the L&S hydraulic system and the Reference arm to the port side would not be a complicated project, quite doable. Or better yet ... add a second one for redundancy to the port side. Our friends on their Outreme49 did this a few yrs back. Probably a wise thing if one cruises wide and far. In our 19k of seamiles the Raymarine and L&S AP has been a champ and we have a lot more miles approaching......mmmmm.
A great idea and one that is commonly installed by long distance cruisers. Having to hand steer for days or weeks on end is something that a small crew simply can't do. Most have two complete, independent AP systems, because it's not always the drive component that decides not to work. Both APs could be used alternatively, depending on who is sleeping in which cabin!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot