Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 12:55   #1

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 500
Upgrading Lagoon 500 windlass and components question

Greetings fellow Lagooners

Recently, the flange on my windlass broke completely in half (pic is upsidedown, but you get the idea). [And not that it matters, but I was not on board when this happened.]

I initially thought about replacing just the flange; however, I am now resolved to upgrading several related anchoring components to include new windlass, heavier anchor and new rode if necessary. I’m doing this, not because I have more money than I know what to do with (I don’t), but because the original plough anchor is underweight and seriously rusting, and I want to renew my confidence in the anchoring system. So, I’m seeking wisdom from fellow Lagoon 500 enthusiasts who hopefully have some sound advice.

So, first a couple of facts about my boat:
-Lagoon 500 2012 model
-Lewmar V5 windlass
-Anchor rode: approx. 200’ 3/8”? chain and 100’ line
-Plough anchor approx. 55lbs

Questions:
-Can I go up to 121 (dansand recommended: Rocna 55 (121lbs.) with the same model windlass
-I want to go big or go home. What’s the best upgrade for my windlass assuming we go with the 121lb Rocna?

Any other relevant considerations? TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1149.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	169297  
SailMonAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 19:35   #2

Boat: Lagoon 500
Re: Upgrading Lagoon 500 windlass and components question

Ouch on the windlass. It took us a few weeks to get a spare v5 from West marine before we headed out so I would look at a newer unit if you can.

We got our 500 with a delta 88lb and 1/2 inch chain and didn’t have an issue in Belize. We upgraded to the Rocna 121 and loved it last night in a 40kt squall here in Georgetown.

Retrieving it manually could be painful though so if you go bigger make sure there is a back up plan in case you have a windlass problem with the anchor down...
dansand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, wind, windlass