Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 11:17   #1
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Undiscovered fresh water leak 440

Hi all,

I have two freshwater storage tanks in forward locker holding about 170 gallons. Recently, the tanks are empty 2 days after filling full. I am sure they are filled as they overflow after about 40 minutes of filling from shore.

There is no evidence of water or wetness under or around the floor of the tanks, nor are there any signs of leaks in the supply lines that are visible in the floor of this locker where there is also a distribution manifold.

I have been under the boat bridge hull and see no evidence of a leak. Neither hull bilge shows any evidence of a leak and the bilge pumps run no more than usual based on air condition condensate accumulation. The boat sits level and at the same depth line in the water.

I have had this problem for 3 weeks now and have filled the tanks multiple times, so I know the boat itself isn't holding this water.

Anyone with prior experience with this problem?

If not, anyone have any constructive suggestions?

Best Regards

xhog
xhogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:28   #2

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Undiscovered fresh water leak 440

I don't know the L440 like the back of my hand, but I've chartered them in the past about a half dozen times.

Knowing how the boat is configured, I would be looking at the fittings under the sinks in the heads. If you have your shower sumps on an auto switch, the sinks could be leaking water into the sumps, and being pumped overboard. If you're on the stbd side and the shower sump pump runs for a few seconds on the port side you might not hear it.

The next step would be to shut off your fresh water pump for a day and see if it's losing water with the pump off.

Good luck.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 02:38   #3
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Undiscovered fresh water leak 440

Does the water pressure pump starts from time to time even when not using water ?

If not, then the leak is somewhere between the tanks and the pessure pump and should be easy to locate.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water