Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33   #1

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
TPI Lagoon 42

I'm drawn to the TPI 42 for a variety of reasons. Low price being one.
1. Good bridgedeck clearance. Does anyone actually know what this measures?
2. Slimmer hulls. Any actual data. Hull Fineness, etc.
3. Performance? SA/D with real world numbers. Not just reading (fictional) displacement off web. Anybody actually weigh one and with what level of equipment?
4. Were all the 42s TPIs?
5. Anything else? Did I miss something? Something to look out for?

I researched the other threads and found good information but not these specifics. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: TPI Lagoon 42

Lagoon 42 TPI Owner's Manual ➥ https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ZGIyNThm&hl=en

Quote:
... with real world numbers. Not just reading (fictional) displacement off web ...
Suggesting that you're not interested in reading anything here at CF (being on the web).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36   #3

Oh, come on Gord. I love the forum, it's manufacturers displacement numbers that I have been told by forum members not to trust. I looked at that owners manual earlier but did not see anything relevant to my questions. Did I miss something? BOB
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Page 1-0 gives the principle dimensions and specifications.
Of course, these are only the lies, as stated by the manufacturer; not some personal guesstimate of a stranger on the web.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:39   #5

Gord, I'm not interested in guesstimates by strangers. Just good data from 42 owners or former owners. I reread the owners manual and couldn't find anything I missed. I previously searched the forum and web and found great info which answered many questions except the ones I posted. That's why I posted them. I have read here many times that manufacturers underestimate displacement numbers on cats, or simply quote the number the designer calculates or state the fiqures for a bare bones model with no options. I just wanted to know what a reasonably equipped one would weigh in the real world. I still love the forum and love you guys running the ship. You yourself have contributed a wealth of info and your zingers kill me. Keep it up. Truce OK. BOB

PS Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
... Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.
INDEED!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:05   #7

Boat: Lagoon 42

Bob,
From a current owner, hull 50 of 51:
1. I'll measure the clearance when I get off work and let you know. I easily run my dinghy with me and others in it between the hulls.
2. I've got no idea.
3. I've never hauled it with a scale. I have offloaded hundreds of pounds of "stuff" - both installed and carried aboard.
4. I've got mine in San Diego, was in Norfolk. Will be in Florida in a few months. There is another L42 TPI about 500 yds from mine in San Diego.

I love the boat. Multiple trips across the Atlantic and a Panama Canal transit. It won't be the fastest cat on the water, but it is safe and comfortable.
Cheers,
Doug
czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:29   #8

Doug, now that's what I'm talking about. Would you say your boat is about equal in performance to most other keeled cruisers, particularly Lagoons. Ever considered replacing the older mainsail with a modern square topper like so many boats have nowadays? A little more power=a little faster. I know stronger loads might require more engineering but don't want to get into that right now. I've read that these boats have good motion and perform upwind better than average due to less windage. Can you confirm? Any peevs? Squeeks, cracks etc? Thanks BOB
Old 02-05-2011, 13:38   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42

Bob,
When the wind's above 15 knots I pass most boats. In lower winds I either poor another drink or put on bigger head sails. Have not explored a bigger main as I'm happy with the current setup. I do a lot of solo/double handed sailing and being conservative is being safe. The L42TPI does have a smaller interior than newer boats of equal size. Not an issue for me but could be for larger crews. Mine is an owners model (3 cabin) and I've ripped out the port forward cabin and installed a workshop leaving me with two aft cabins.

One peev is the installed davits. The lower end of the dinghy's outboard hangs below the bridgedeck and in bigger seas takes some good shots. I've installed new davits that raises the outboard above the bridgedeck so not an issue anymore. Will eventually install an arch.

A bowsprit would also be nice. I've seen some L42's fitted with them but I'm still attaching my asymmetric to one of the bows. Its more work, but there's no additional cost.

I've seen several different versions of the salon doors. I've got the aluminum bifolds vice the slider. All of the bifolds I've seen have the paint flaking off in large chunks. I'm going to build and instal teak doors in the future.

The TPI's are built strong - no squeaks to report.
Cheers,
Doug
czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 04:52   #10

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI - Lucey Blue

1) Lagoon 42 TPI bridge deck clearance:

Lucey Blue’s bridge deck clearance is approximately 55 cm at its lowest point. However, the majority of the bridge deck is much higher and this coupled with the large open trampolines means that we almost never slam the water under sail - see schematic diagram below for bridge deck profile.

2) Lagoon 42 TPI hull profile:

I have no real way to measure “hull slimness”, but the hulls drive through the water well and look mid-range in terms of width at the waterline.

3) Lagoon 42 TPI performance:

Lucey Blue is a fully loaded Lagoon 42 TPI setup for offshore cruising. She has sailed more than 23,000 nautical miles in the last five years – the previous owner racked up most of the mileage on a voyage from Norway to Australia. We easily average 6-8 knots over a 24-hour period even with our fixed three bladed propellers; extensive equipment/spare parts/tools; and large water/diesel tanks.....

We obtained our current top speed of 12+ knots while surfing down waves in 35-45 knots. But even then we only averaged about 9 knots over a 12-hour period – perhaps we sailed too conservatively with the third reef in the main and blade jib.

Lucey Blue will typically sail at about half the wind speed on a reach or downwind until you hit about 9-10 knots through the water. But 6-8 knots is far more comfortable and puts less strain on the boat.

We don’t own a large headsail so if we want to go to windward in less than 10-15 knots we tend to motor sail as there is no point just sitting around and diesel is a lot cheaper than a new code zero.

Overall I’d say the Lagoon 42 TPI performance is the equivalent to most modern cruising catamarans. The previous owner had an extensive sail wardrobe and more experienced crew. During the 2008 ARC he brought Lucey Blue home in second place overall in the multihull division and first in the Lagoon category so real world performance is often more than just sail and hull design.

4) Lagoon 42 TPI locations:

Despite the fact that only 51 Lagoon 42 TPI’s were ever built they can still be found cruising all over the world. Lucey Blue is currently located in the Whitsunday Island about 16 nautical miles from the outer Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Other Lagoon 42 TPI's that we know of are listed below -

Atlantis II
Aupaluk II
Connect4 (formerly 'Hot Lips')
Mirage II
MudKat (formerly 'Web of Lies')
Skipper's Daughters
Tropic Daze
Ushuaia
Web of Lies

5) Lagoon 42 TPI other observations:

We are probably biased, but to our mind Lagoon 42 TPI catamarans were well ahead of their time in terms of design and construction. Lucey Blue is an incredibly solid, modern looking and safe ocean going yacht yet she was built in 1992.

Given we have three kids aboard our only real issue with the boat is the size of the galley and heads. Life is a comprise when you want four separate cabins, but I could alter the interior layout without too much trouble if I ever had the time…….
Old 30-08-2011, 12:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar View Post
1. I'll measure the clearance when I get off work and let you know. I easily run my dinghy with me and others in it between the hulls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucey Blue View Post
1) Lagoon 42 TPI bridge deck clearance:

Lucey Blue’s bridge deck clearance is approximately 55 cm at its lowest point.
I am surprised that a dinghy will fit in under 55 cm of clearance. Seems awfully low... but maybe it's a small dinghy?
Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 12:57   #12

Thanks Lucey for confirming what I thought. FYI to anybody else, check out this bridgedeck clearance. Looks better than most.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bow.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	30967   Click image for larger version

Name:	stern.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	30968  

Old 30-08-2011, 13:21   #13

Quote:
Thanks Lucey for confirming what I thought. FYI to anybody else, check out this bridgedeck clearance. Looks better than most.
Yep, looks great. Still having trouble visualizing running a dinghy in under a 55 cm clearance. The RIB tubes should clear it, not so sure about the passengers and the outboard sticking out... if that 55 cm point is correct.
Old 30-08-2011, 13:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamante View Post
Yep, looks great. Still having trouble visualizing running a dinghy in under a 55 cm clearance. The RIB tubes should clear it, not so sure about the passengers and the outboard sticking out... if that 55 cm point is correct.
Might have to duck your head. 55 cm is 22.6" which is right there for the minimum standard formula of 1" per foot of beam (22'8" beam). I don't think you'll find many 42' cats higher. Catana and Seawind. Maybe. BOB
Old 30-08-2011, 13:45   #15

Quote:
55 cm is 22.6" which is right there for the minimum standard formula of 1" per foot of beam (22'8" beam)
55 cm is 21.6", but what bothers me more is the "minimum" wording in that formula. It sort of suggests that there is no margin in that number. I personally would be leery of any clearance under 28". Looking at that photo again, it's possible that the bridgedeck clearance is as low as 55 cm only right next to the hulls, maybe it rises toward the center. It's hard to tell given the angle of the photo.

Tags
lagoon