Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 04:48   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Throttle cable replacement - L400

Any idea how to go about it? Is it possible to connect the end of the old cable with the end of the new (how?) and pull the new cable into position by pulling on the old one?
Any better ideas? Anyone did that and may tell the path that the cable follows inside the boat?
Thanks for any insight.
BTW - I am referring to the cable that goes to the starboard engine, further from the throttle itself at the helm-station.
Old 26-02-2015, 01:33   #2

Re: Throttle cable replacement - L400

Hi Mark
I just happen to have my boat pulled apart at the moment, troubleshooting a fault with a fridge and tracking down a ground fault on one of the engine cables.
So the cable run for your cable is through the engine compartment bulkhead (you will have to work the cable free from the expanding foam) cable runs under gas bottle compartment on starboard side, then across under the cockpit floor then up behind cupboard under helm station (We have a fridge in this place).
So to gain easy access I would remove the cupboard under helm station, port of main entrance, you maybe able to get access from the access panel in the Port aft cabin, but it would be an easier task with removing the cupboard. Also remove the access in the starboard aft cabin.
The cables are unfortunately cable tied with hoses and other cable so it will not be easy to just draw through with old cable.
I have pulled many cables on other types of boats and find if I tape the end of the old cable to the new cable well so ends are covered not to catch on anything as you draw cable through. I would say it maybe easier to attach cables at the helm end an have someone feeding the cable and someone pulling.
The hardest part would be pulling cable under cockpit as the cables dip down in the centre with the other hoses etc. If you do remove the cupboard I would suggest run the cable on its own under the cockpit, don't try run it through the cable tied hoses etc. You could use a length of dowel or a telescopic boat hook with some V cord attached to help draw cable through. You can get the expanding foam from hardware or some marine stores.
Hope this helps. I would be interested to here the length of that cable in case I have to replace one in the future.
Regards
Nick
Old 26-02-2015, 02:48   #3

Thanks Nick. The work is postponed for a few days maybe a week. Anyway I"ll post here my experience.
Thanks for the detailed answer - I understand now the path of the cable.
Old 05-03-2015, 22:43   #4

OK, we finally did it and the process was as follows (we have used Nick's advice. thanks!).
1. Freed the ends of the cable from the gear and from the throttle.
2. removed the gas locker (stbd settee in the cockpit). To do that, we have removed the black rubber stripe that goes around the lid and then the screws that hold the locker in place hidden beneath the rubber stripe.
Then we had to free the gas tube by loosening and removing the large nut that holds the gas tube from inside of the locker. This is not the end though! The locker has a bottom drain for removing gas leaks. This drain is connected to a hose that goes to a through-hull and has to be removed as well from the through-hull.
Access to the through-hull is possible through an inspection panel on the port bulkhead of the stbd/aft cabin.
3. Removed the locker under the helm-seat on the port side of the cockpit (some boats have a fridge there). The locker is held in place by set of screws around its perimeter and, by a bolt at the visible on bottom of the locker. This bolt goes through the bottom of the locker and through a metal support frame that holds the weight of the locker. To gain access to the nut beneath the frame, we have opened the inspection panel on the starboard bulkhead of the port/aft cabin.
4. We have opened the large inspection panel (held by Velcro tabs only) in the saloon above the electrics cabinet, that allows access to all the systems beneath the helm-station. This is not a must as we have found that removal of the two lockers as described above gives enough access to the damned cable.
4. We have pushed on the old cable from the above (through the port side locker) while pulling from the engine and gas lockers until the throttle end of the cable emerged in the opening on the port side.
5. Tied the end of the cables together (about 10 cm in parallel, tied by strong and thin twine and all of that covered by masking tape).
6. Pulled the old cable out and the new one in place, with help pushing/pulling through the openings available by the missing lockers.
7. We have found the old cable to be 33 feet (10m) in length. It may be of a different length on other L400s as we have replaced it with a cable of 30 feet (9 m) that was more than sufficient in length for the purpose).
8. I an considering to cut an additional access panel in the port bulkhead of the starboard cabin, near the stern, in the place near the gas locker. This will allow access to this area of the boat without the hassle of removal of the gas locker.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:57   #5

Hi Mark
Glad to hear you managed to install the cable. I like your idea of an access panel to that space aft of the gas locker, it is a huge space, would make good storage. I have thought about making an access from the outside seat locker side, as it is plywood would be easy to cut into.
Thanks for the info.
Nick

Tags
men, rot