Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 02:57   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440 OV
Three Months in and Loving it

Well we have been living on Two Drifters our (new to us) L440 2008 for three months and have to say that we are really happy.

Especially with how sit lies to anchor, we have only had to go into and pay for a marina about four times and we have had some quite punchy wind in the Northern Med.

Biggest problem was hooking a mooring buoy chain one evening when lifting the anchor to move, the wind really got up and we had to dump the anchor and 80m of chain on the bottom, but we buoyed the chain with fenders and went back the next morning and with the aid of the dive tank soon had it all back on board.

A few questions for more seasoned owners:

We have a Quick windless which does not seem man enough for the job, any suggested upgrades, it is constantly tripping the switch at the most inopportune times and we are driving the boat to the chain rather than using the windless to pull her up.

We also have one tab delaminated just under the port stairs below the bilge access panel, not to worried as it is easy to fix, but at sea and when riding the anchor we get quite a bit of flex in this area and resultant squeaking. I can see the base of the steps around the floor soles moving about 2mm? Should I be worried or is a little flex pretty normal. Certainly on past boats I have not worried, but this is our first cat and I do not want the two hulls pulling against each other and damaging themselves.

Other than that we have been lucky I think, loads of stuff does not work properly, but we are getting through the list bit by bit.

Heading further south in a few days for Ibiza and then onwards into the Med. Just having one of our raw water pumps repaired for the starboard engine. Some bright spark fixed it before our time and only used one bearing and not two, end result a bit of cavitation and resultant leak. But no biggy.

Also any suggestions for the shower drains, ours seem to have a manual override which looks to be a retro fit, but the automatic pump is a bit sporadic.

Wishing all 440 owners a happy season

Fergus
Two Drifters
Lymington
Old 15-04-2014, 04:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Three Months in and loving it

> we are driving the boat to the chain rather than using the windless to pull her up.

You should be driving up to the chain. You don't want to pull the boat towards the anchor using the windlass. Take up the slack as you drive up to it and the take up the strain once you are straight over it. Pulling the boat forward on the windlass is a sure way to trip the circuit breaker.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 05:50   #3

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

What StuM said motor up on your chain. Which motor do you have on the quick windlass? If its the 1000 watt motorI think you can upgrade the unit by replacing it with a 1500 watt motor.. From what I have read they are interchangeable.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 00:46   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Congrats and enjoy the Balearics. Make sure you sign up on this site for buoys
BALEARS LIFE POSIDONIA - Reserva fondejos Balears- Reserva fondeos Baleares
+ highly recommend Port Roig ib South Ibiza. Windlass shouldn't be tripping, make sure there is no weight on it, check the breaker is correctly sized..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 02:01   #5

Fergus,
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your 440.
As for the squeaks and groans, I can only comment on my own, an early 2005 model and its seen a few sea miles - France to Australia. I have two annoying noises that like yours, relate to flex, especially twist, as in an aft running sea, taken on the quarter. The first is located beneath and aft of the gas bottle locker and most likely relates to flex in the joins from cockpit sole to the port hull. The other occurs because of failed adhesive/joint, between the wood panel to the right of the stbd escape hatch and the abutting cabinet/locker. This needs to be re-glued/screwed, but I'm yet to work out how to do this and too cheap to get a shipwright. All of this makes for a noisy night in the stbd aft cabin, but my crew don't complain (too much). The latter looks like an easy fix, the former will be hard to locate with precision owing to its location. Neither are getting worse. You get used to it!

As for bathroom drainage, the former owner simply gave up on the manual pumps that lift the grey water from the below floor drain to the above waterline through hull fitting/drain due to variable operation. Currently, mine drain straight to the bilge and the automatic bilge pump does the rest. Simple. An occasional washout with fresh or sea water works fine and I have no smell issue despite semitropical temperatures. One less thing to maintain or go wrong.

Cheers.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote