Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 15:35   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Thinking of New L42 Order, What do I include from the factory?

My wife and I are considering getting in line and ordering a new Lagoon 42 Owners Version for extended cruising. No kids, retired at 58, but crew and guests will be expected. We need to sell up and downsize ect. Right now Factory Delivery sounds great as we would love to cruise the Med and are afraid if we take east coast US delivery we might not ever get there. Were thinking a couple of years in the Med and then across and see what happens from there.

A new L42 pushes the budget a bit, but is doable. Were interested navigating the price list and ordering smart.

Now I'm wondering, what do I let the factory install and what (and where) do I use outside vendors for? I'm interested in your opinions and experience.

Sails? Code0? Rig for Code0, Spinnaker and rig?
Folding Props?
Genset and/or Solar? I'd love to have more Solar and a smaller Genset?
Watermaker?
A/C solutions?
Dingy/outboard
Other?
I've read as much as I can from this site, thanks for the years of information and inspiration!

Thanks
Kent
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 00:57   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Thinking of New L42 Order, What do I include from the factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentm View Post
My wife and I are considering getting in line and ordering a new Lagoon 42 Owners Version for extended cruising. No kids, retired at 58, but crew and guests will be expected. We need to sell up and downsize ect. Right now Factory Delivery sounds great as we would love to cruise the Med and are afraid if we take east coast US delivery we might not ever get there. Were thinking a couple of years in the Med and then across and see what happens from there.

A new L42 pushes the budget a bit, but is doable. Were interested navigating the price list and ordering smart.

Now I'm wondering, what do I let the factory install and what (and where) do I use outside vendors for? I'm interested in your opinions and experience.

Sails? Code0? Rig for Code0, Spinnaker and rig?
Folding Props?
Genset and/or Solar? I'd love to have more Solar and a smaller Genset?
Watermaker?
A/C solutions?
Dingy/outboard
Other?
I've read as much as I can from this site, thanks for the years of information and inspiration!

Thanks
Kent
We looked at this, but ended up going second hand. Either way my suggestions are .

1. Get the factory to fit anything that needs internal plumbing, wiring or other things that are harder / more expensive to retrofit later.
- A/C
- Generator
- Folding Props
- Heating if you need it.
- Bimini Hardtop and anything thats really part of the boat !
- Electric winches, inc extra ones for spinakers etc.

2. Buy after market everything else. !
- Dingy / Outboard
- Solar
- Watermaker. (you almost certainly want it in a different place !)
- Extra Sails. (North Sails or similar) both code 0 and spinaker + associated furling gear

We found for the extra's, it looked to be cheaper after market, as long as it didn't take major work on the boat to fit (like AC, Winches etc).
Or it was cheaper to take the upgraded version new from factory, rather than standard and replace later (Props, batteries).

My 2c

Regards

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 11:32   #3

Thanks Mark,

Sounds like a really sensible way to think about the list.

With the RIB. The CL 340 seems fine, but I'm not sure I want the Honda. (I'm sure there great) Then of course there is the price.

Extra Sails I'm just now trying to figure out the best set up

How about Inverter/solar/Genset/AC/Battery. I would really like to consider that system as a whole and optimize towards more solar and a smaller genset and ease of use and maintenance.

Kent
Old 18-03-2018, 12:49   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I would do the stuff aftermarket. The factory options are under sized, no lithium option, solar too weak and overprized. Order only, what you like and do the rest aftermarket. Try to not buy stuff you want to replace later.
Old 18-03-2018, 15:50   #5

CatNewBee,

Thanks for your input. Looking at your posts I see you have a lot of experience with electrical systems, it’s my weakest area of knowledge. I find it intimidating. I have a lot of work to do to understand these systems. I think I’ve already decided for after market solar. I’m not sure I like the flexible solar panels for a variety of reasons.

Sounds like I need to have a design for the entire system and order the minimum from Lagoon.
Old 19-03-2018, 00:14   #6

I'd get the GENSET from Lagoon. There is a lot of stuff that has to go in with the Generator and it has to be done right (Diesel connections, Exhaust, etc etc). I feel it would be much easier for all this to be done when its built, than after the fact.

Then I'd add the Solar and what-not on afterwards.

If you are getting A/C, the size of the Genset won't change with solar. It needs to be sized based on peak load, which i'd say is all A/C running.
You will just have to run it less. (i.e. only for running A/C and some high power loads) rather than to charge batteries.

When we were looking to order, we left off things like cushions, surrounds, etc, as these were easy to add aftermarket, and I feel lagoons pricing for cushions is insane !

- Do not buy anything you plan to replace later. you won't get anything back etc.
- Do specialty things like Solar and the rest, afterwards. Just get the basic boat, with what has to be fitted to take possession.
- Dingy can easily be aftermarket, and there are good options there. Quite likely you may want a subtly different dingy configuration. (Though I highly recomend the Highfield dinghies regardless). We went with a CL360 with a Suzuki Electric start 20hp and love it. (L450F)

Regards

Mark.
Old 19-03-2018, 01:01   #7

Regarding flexible solar panels.

I had / still have some on my RV and I am not impressed by their performance / durability. I had 5 of 100Wp glued on the roof top, 2 failed after a year, the overall performance is worse than rigid glass panels. They simply get hotter because there is no air circulation below, also the roof gets hot (70°C +) when the sun shines and you have the heat inside by a hot roof. Even the roof is isolated and the outer hull is aluminum that dissipates the heat, you can easily tell where the panels are from inside by touching the roof. They have 30-50% less output when the weather is hot compared to the glass modules of the same electrical parameters next to them.

I guess, high temperatures are not preferable on the boat materials too, the organic raisin may degrade over the time by applying heat from the dark surface. Chances are, some cells get damaged from hail or something you drop on them. Micro-fractures can cause hot-spots - especially if you do not use string-diodes to prevent reverse current - they can produce a lot of heat and damage the GRP below or even start a fire.

This all cannot happen with glass cells. If they have a hot-spot they just die. Maybe the glass cracks, but there are no materials nearby that can start a fire. They have airflow around and this enhances the electrical performance.

Also glass modules are half the price.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 02:08   #8

Boat: LAGOON 400

you need to think installation thru as well. Electrician will do what is easiest for him. However making a hole for wire holder or similar and compromise watertight space for example should be no-no.

If you are not sure, or you do not have access to really good electricians maybe better let lagoon do it.

On the other side, lagoon does these irresponsible holes as well !
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 03:09   #9

I am re-fitting my 400S2 and therefore open all cavities and have a look behind the panels. I am not very happy with the installation either. A lot of unnecessary plugs here and there, the wiring and all the devices, breakers, panels, switches spread throughout the vessel produce just a lot of mess.

If I would have to re-wire - I would chose one place for all controls / breakers and run all wires from there without plugs along the line. I would also have used remote switches with manual switching capabilities where thick wiring back and forth needs to be eliminated.

In the 400 there are 6 or 7 different places where breakers are located (Generator, engine compartment, behind the walls in the guest cabin, under the berth, behind the control panel in the salon etc., also power panel for the generator and 220V distribution in the guest hull, water maker panel, inverter panel, then at the nav station the normal power distribution panel.

The whole vessel has lots of sea-water inlets spread around both hulls and sea-cocks along the pass ways everywhere + sea vents behind the side panels.

I would have installed a single water input on each hull with a strainer and a central distribution for engines, generator, A/C, toilets, seawater pump, water maker etc...

There are too many vents to watch after, too many filters etc. The devices could have been better organized and not just thrown in somewhere in the cavities. A neat clean organized tech-compartment per hull would made life easier and you gain lots of storage for the crew. The weight distribution is a minor issue I guess, because you will store stuff everywhere, also you can improve weight distribution by installing water tanks in the right places to balance the load.

Also I would never place crucial systems in the guest cabin / hull. All board battery systems, winch breakers, inverters, 220V selector, gen panel, inverter panel, windlass breaker, battery switch, water maker are located in the guest hull. Kids do like to play with switches. I would have placed all this essential systems in the master cabin hull. Guest should not be able to mess around with the boat systems at all.
Old 19-03-2018, 03:48   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

In no particular order. Ger the factory genset and air conditioning. I would also buy the factory bow sprit and rigging for the downwinds sails. It is a lot of work to do this aftermarket. Folding props will be Flexofold from the factory on Yanmar. They are fine as well. Get Uchimata in LaRochelle to install the solar and watermaker. I do not like the Desalanator Units. Source your tender and a 15hp two stroke yamaha engine as well. THe factory Victron inverter charger is ok. You could wait until after market and buy the whole victron suite, charge controllers for the solar, a large 2 or 3 kw victron duo inverter charger and their battery monitor screen. All of that would be comlpatible with lithium if you decided to upgrade the batteries.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 06:42   #11

Thinking of New L42 Order, What do I include from the factory?

Wow thanks for the input. I’m still working, (last day June 6th) so I’ll ask more guestions and respond more after school today! I’ve got a lot to think about.
Old 19-03-2018, 09:40   #12

Mine has no Victron stuff from the factory at all. (It's a 4 year old L400S2)

The charger are french from Cristec
The inverter is from Mastervolt,
also the MasterShunt and the Master View Easy MKIII

I would probably go for a Victron Quattro for charger / inverter / transfer switch between generator / shore power, also would chose the largest you can get if you go for Lithium aftermarket.

The Dessalinator Duo is a nice idea, but causes lots of trouble as I read.

Mine was catched fire (last owner) on the motor, fortunately no structural damage - only some stains remained from the smoke in the front guest berth under the bed. The whole thing was replaced on warranty. Many report issues with the capacitor of the 220V motor too.

Seems to be not very reliable.

Mine has Raymarine instruments / radar / VHF / AIS. I would have preferred B&G because of the forward scan ability. Raymarine development is way behind there. Some french companies (e.g. Fountaine Pajot) install Garmin stuff - that is even more incompatible with the rest of the world regarding map formats etc. B&G, Simrad, Raymarine all use Navionics, C-Map etc. Garmin is special. Second navstation inside - I would opt-out and use a tablet to mirror the main display outside. Wireless controller for the auto pilote is nice too, unfortunately it is only for the steering, but not engine control / gear, so maneuvering must be done from the helm. I would take a look at the anchor / anchor chain - maybe longer chain - stainless steel and a heavier anchor.

All the rigging + bowspit, engine options (more hp?), folding props, generator I would buy from factory (Onan-Generator). Cushions and enclosures are nice, but hard and expensive. We just have built new cushions from foam and Sunbrella as replacement for the old exterior ones, the fabric has worn out in 4 years of usage. The interior cushions need also a remake soon. A Sailrite is your friend. The enclosures are OK, but I saw very nice after market enclosures with larger windows and probably cheaper then the factory ones.

I am unsure about the A/C. I would probably opt for aftermarket and here is why:

You can order all or nothing, all means 4 or 5 A/C units under the beds and in the salon. I would install maximum 2 units, one in the owners suite and one in the salon, but would also have a diesel heater installed - what is not a possible factory combination. You can have only A/C OR diesel heater. you lose a lot of storage compartments to the A/C units and have lots of weight for devices you will not use frequently.

The washer/dryer needs some more consideration, we have a small SOBA factory installed -I would chose aftermarket standard size washer instead, also would not opt in the microwave. You always can install a microwave if you need it and chose your preferred model.

I would also not buy a teak deck.

The outboard holder / lift is a nice option I would not want to miss. The gangway is something for aftermarket or drop. Lazybag/lazyjacks is an interesting option also in-mast furling may be available. Some like it, some don't. But it makes reefing easier. I know, FP offers this, but it's not on the list, I would ask Lagoon explicitly about it - may be they have it too.

But this is only my opinion - yours may be completely different.
Old 19-03-2018, 17:08   #13

Soooo......

Aftermarket

Dingy and outboard - After market (I have a Suzuki 15hp now I beat like a rented mule in my Duck Boat and it just keeps running)

CodeO Sail - after some preliminary research it seems savings and quality here.

Solar - Need the glass panels with air flow and higher quality

Watermaker - I've been reading complaints about the stock unit and location

Still working on

Cushions and Surrounds - inclined to go aftermarket for more quality and/or less cost.

Electrical - AC - Gen set Still studing. The AC and Genset are a big bite, Like 50k usd together. I like what I see from the Victron suite and would like to get to Lithium eventually. AC - I really don't need the whole boat on AC but it would be nice. I get the wiring would be easier at the factory. Lets face it, I just have not learned enough yet.

Factory Install
CodeO rig and pole and spinaker rig. Seems logical to have this done at the factory with their experience and materials. Not that much money.

Thats here I'm at now. Such great posts, thanks for your opinions. Please feel free to correct my thinking and let me know of you experiences. I got a long way to go and a lot to learn

Kent
Old 20-03-2018, 13:34   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450

There are a few excellent 450's available on the market - fully kitted out, bugs solved, not too old and still significantly cheaper than a loaded 42. If you're squeezed on budget then you should seriously consider these.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 23:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
There are a few excellent 450's available on the market - fully kitted out, bugs solved, not too old and still significantly cheaper than a loaded 42. If you're squeezed on budget then you should seriously consider these.
Second this !.

We nearly bought new 42 and instead went with 2nd hand 450F Owners. We also decided to be flexible on location. Ended up buying in the Med(Turkey).

Apart from price, our biggest gripe with the 42, was storage, or lack of it, especially in the kitchen. (This is for full time liveaboard).

Note: I'm in the "never wanted a fly bridge due to all the perceived issues, but now we have one, totally love it and don't want to go back" club...

Regards

Mark.