Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 07:38   #16

Re: The hunt begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
In regard to how a 440's operating cost can APPROACH three times the operating costs here are a couple more specific examples:

1. Full coverage Insurance premiums are is based on a boat's hull value. In a crude sense if we were able to compare two identically equipped, condition, age, engine hours etc. Lagoons (in reality that is practically impossible) one a 380 and the second a 440 the only difference being hull size, we can expect to see a difference in value 50%-75% more possible as much as double the cost of a 380. The premium will reflect this increased value.

2. Dockage rates in many locals is by the foot, until you come to catamarans then frequently it is by the square foot so as to address the multihull issue. Some marines will simply charge for a double slip based on LOA. Due to the 440s increased LOA and square footage you can expect to pay significantly more.

3. Engines are larger on a 440 and will burn more fuel per hour. Sail area is greater on 440 hence cost more to replace. Heads and regrigeration are more numerous and/or larger so parts cost more and the list goes on.

4. Power needs of a 440 one would expect are greater than a 380 which will require more solar or wind generation equipment.

5. Custom fees vary by country. Often these fees in-part are based on LOA of a boat. Some like St. Barts go by square footage. Again increased cost for the 440.

6. Polishing or buffing the hull is charged by the square foot by some vendors. Bottom jobs for the labor often are similar. Size does matter.

Certainly everyone's situation or desires are different. So the above are simple generalities to use as a guideline.

Other sources and useful information is found f you check out books by Neigel Calder, Purdies and others. You'll read how they estimate the cost as the size of a boat increases.
Based on your examples I think the 3x estimate is a little high. I would go with the cube of the length as a rough guide (since boat size increases across all three dimensions).

So 44/38 ~= 1.16. 1.16^3 = 1.56x, or about 60% higher?

In regards to the 380 vs. 440, I have been on board both. Unlike others on this thread I didn't find it to be that big of a difference, and found it hard to justify the extra cost. The only thing I would miss is space for a dedicated freezer on the 380. Also, one thing I definitely did not like about the 440 was the cramped engine rooms.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 11:09   #17

Boat: Lagoon L400S2
Re: The hunt begins

There is a video boat tour of the 400S2 on YouTube, new ones and boats equipped for live aboard.
A great resource .
Ask questions there and you can get specific.
Cheers Scott

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote