Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 08:32   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Tender weight?

I would like to buy a Highfield OM 350 with console for a 450, but am worried it will be too heavy once outboard, fuel etc. is all added. Has anyone experience of this?
Also I note they recommend a 30hp motor but would like to fit the new, lighter Yamaha 25.
Nick
Nicklaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:46   #2

Re: Tender weight?

I imagine that's a very heavy boat with the console etc. A little under 12ft? Does it fit between your amas?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:48   #3

Yes, it will fit, I just wanted to find someone who had fitted the same. In theory the davits are rated at 250Kg but the strain put on them in rough weather might create a problem.
Old 20-03-2017, 10:07   #4

Boat: L 450

Why not a Highfield CL 340 BLT ?

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	143557  
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:05   #5

I am looking at the CL360 but, because the OM350 is heavier, my guess it will perform slightly better in bigger seas? But do let me know your impression of the CL. It is much cheaper!

Nick
Old 21-03-2017, 00:03   #6

Hi Nick

all i can say is :

totally satisfied with the 340 BLT

M
Old 21-03-2017, 04:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
Why not a Highfield CL 340 BLT ?

M

Hello darkside could you please send a photo of the lifting points and strops on your tender thanks steve

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
steve450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 05:10   #8

Hi Steve,

i can do it tomorrow.

The only thing i can tell you is that it fits perfectly.

M
Old 21-03-2017, 09:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaing View Post
I would like to buy a Highfield OM 350 with console for a 450, but am worried it will be too heavy once outboard, fuel etc. is all added. Has anyone experience of this?
Also I note they recommend a 30hp motor but would like to fit the new, lighter Yamaha 25.
Nick
Hi,

I have the OM350 with the open console and a Suzuki 20hp... it is not too heavy... we crossed the Atlantic with the outboard on the dink, as it was too big a pita to take it off... we use support straps that connect to the padeyes on the end of the davit extensions and rachets that attach to the davits at the stern... and then cross tie it so it does not move, although it does move about 2cm back and forth, so need pads between the dink and davits to avoid burn marks...

Regards, Rick
Rickthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 21:58   #10

The static load that can be lifted with each davit is 212kg or 424kg for the pair. Note that is exclusive of the small extension posts. Then you have dynamic loading that can be significant in choppy seas. Personally I wouldn't go less than 1.5x or a max weight under the davits of 212kg. Then consider this is not an even distribution i.e. the motor end is significantly heavier than the bow; add fuel; add your console, battery. You'd have to work your math for your application. A few other considerations: ensure your lift lines are also of the correct load; chafe occurs on the lift lines at the pulley/cheek plate interface (inspect regularly); have spare sheave wheels; the dingy bridle provided by Lagoon is rubbish and should be replaced (we use a s/s chain); always remove your outboard for any lengthly passages and install onto a deck mounted motor mount.

Personally I wouldn't go for a larger dingy/outboard than the dimensions of the OM350/BF20 - both fine machines. But I believe in keeping things conservative - on a production boat.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 22:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickthesailor View Post
Hi,

I have the OM350 with the open console and a Suzuki 20hp... it is not too heavy... we crossed the Atlantic with the outboard on the dink, as it was too big a pita to take it off... we use support straps that connect to the padeyes on the end of the davit extensions and rachets that attach to the davits at the stern... and then cross tie it so it does not move, although it does move about 2cm back and forth, so need pads between the dink and davits to avoid burn marks...

Regards, Rick
The davit extensions/padeyes should not be part of your securing system for the dingy. They are not capable to support the weight of the dingy/motor. Should you have a failure in your main setup, your extension is more than likely to bend, buckle or shear its bolts particularly if you are in rough seas (the most inopportune time). Using these to prevent lateral and side movement is fine.

If you're doing any passaging you'd be wise to invest in a motor mount and a lifting system for your outboard.
Old 25-03-2017, 07:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
The davit extensions/padeyes should not be part of your securing system for the dingy. They are not capable to support the weight of the dingy/motor. Should you have a failure in your main setup, your extension is more than likely to bend, buckle or shear its bolts particularly if you are in rough seas (the most inopportune time). Using these to prevent lateral and side movement is fine.

If you're doing any passaging you'd be wise to invest in a motor mount and a lifting system for your outboard.

HI,

It was Lagoon that told us to use straps and rachets connected to the davit extension padeyes...

Regards, Rick
Old 26-03-2017, 08:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickthesailor View Post
HI,

It was Lagoon that told us to use straps and rachets connected to the davit extension padeyes...

Regards, Rick

Not to be contrary, but you've been misinformed. The full lifting load is to be taken up by the main davit arms, 2x2part sheave wheels and the lines, not the padeyes. The padeyes can be used to secure the load from lateral/horizontal shifting during transits. An engineer's eye will quickly tell you these extensions are insufficient to support static and dynamic loading in excess of 120kg.
Old 26-03-2017, 15:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Not to be contrary, but you've been misinformed. The full lifting load is to be taken up by the main davit arms, 2x2part sheave wheels and the lines, not the padeyes. The padeyes can be used to secure the load from lateral/horizontal shifting during transits. An engineer's eye will quickly tell you these extensions are insufficient to support static and dynamic loading in excess of 120kg.

HI,

The dinghy is supported by the main davits. But we also run straps under the dinghy that stops the dink from swinging... We raise the dink with the winch till it touches the davits, then we put on the straps to stop it from moving aft and side to side... There is some weight on it, but the bulk of the weight is on the main davits. The dink motor, battery, fuel, may weigh about 140 kilos...

Regards, Rick
Old 10-07-2017, 10:26   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

I'm about to order a Highfield CL360 with Suzuki DF20AES Motor. (20HP Electric start, Tiller control) from the Highfield dealer here in Turkey.

Anyone see any issues with this combination ? Lagoon 450 F

We looked hard at the Center console version of the CL, which has this FCT console, but decided against it. Weight on davits, and space for goods /dive gear in dinghy being main reasons against.

Electric start motor was a 'must have' to ensure my wife can start it and be independent in the "car".

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender