Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 00:32   #1
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Symmetric spinnaker rigging

Hi all, I just purchased a symmetric spinnaker for my L440, North Norlon 145 sqm. Sheets are pretty straitghforward and follow the same path as the gennaker but I am wondering how to rig the guys. Can anyone help ? thanks !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:46   #2

Re: Symmetric spinnaker rigging

On our L400 the guys run through standing blocks on each bow, then back along the deck to standing blocks near the toe rail next to the winches. We have made these lines 25m long to allow them to be run out a long way in order to depower the spinnaker when it comes time to douse it with the sock.

We initially rigged our symmetrical spinnaker with 2 guys and 2 sheets but found it much easier for short handed cuising to go to one guy and one sheet. If the spinnaker needs to go over to the other side, we sock it, swap the lines from being a guy to a sheet, and vice-versa, then release the spinnaker.
Dousing the big kite in a fresh breeze with 4 lines attached with only 2 people was a bit of a handful. We had lines overboard a couple of times a tangle around a rudder. The spinnaker became known as "the Kraken". This beast is much tamer with only 2 tentacles.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:25   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450
Symmetric spinnaker rigging

Here are a few of videos of how I have rigged it on our L450:

https://youtu.be/zcRreJQ8IZY

https://youtu.be/Lo2_XBaZi6Q

https://youtu.be/RvFfNeRRE3c

Enjoy
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 16:28   #4

Re: Symmetric spinnaker rigging

Like Tuskie I tend to sock the sail rather than gibe when short handed to minimize the number of sheets and guys that could go overboard and tangle props or rudders.

That being said, I always use two guys, one to the windward bow block and one to the sprint creating a bridle between mid-line and the windward bow. This give me more options especially if the wind moves forward somewhat when you want the luff tighter and more centerd. So for me, it is generally one sheet led to the rearward turning block, and two tack lines, one to the windward rearward turning block and to the winch and one fed directly from the sprint to the power winch (mainsail winch). Works perfectly and is simple.
Cheers.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, spinnaker