Finally have almost everything back in place. Just thought I would throw in some photos of the work that has been done but wont be seen.
In this photo
you can see what is the new top support plate for the door sill. If you look closely you can see where I have rebated the section of timber that will now support the extra wide aluminium plate that covers the fibreglass step. The old one ended in line with the fibreglass. The timber was rebrated to allow the aluminium plate to slope towards the cockpit. Previously the metal only covered the fiberglass
relying purely on the a silicon seal between the door sill frame and the aluminium strip. Now the there is a silicon seal between the fibreglass and timber.
As shown in the above photo the new aluminium strip will then cover this seal, FG step and timber giving far greater protection and should stop any ingress of water with a silicon seal being placed between the sill Aluminium strip. Any water should drain harmlessly into the cockpit drain. ( Well thats the plan
One of the other items I did not really go into in depth
was that to replace the galley you have to remove the cupboard on top of the bench top which then reveals that the bench top extends over the starboard hull
forming part of the roof for the companionway
. There is a false base in the cupboard which has to be removed to show a strengthening timber to assist the room retain strenght and stop it from drooping. The white ceiling liner is required to be removed to allow the bench top to be successfully removed as well as undoing several screws for supporting timbers inside the compainionway cupboard.
The below photo clearly shows the bench extending to form part of the companionway
ceiling with the bench cupboard sitting on top.
The next photo is a bit fuzzy but it show the interior
top inside the compainionway cupboard under the bench top. You can clearly see some of the securing points for the bench top. You can also see some of the new sink cut out and how it extended into the cupboard top but with no structural issues.
The old system relied on a peice of timber under the cupboard that was set above the bench top to face the front of the cupboard for a smail. It was a cheap
nasty peice of ply laminate. It required replacement so I cut a peice of Tasmanian Oak to size and cut the radius to match the cupboard. It was stained with Baltic
Pine stain then varnished and I am reasonably satifised with the finish.
I wont bore you much more except for this final photo. It shows the new taps we installed. The flixmixer is a standard domestic tap rated to 7.5 litres per minute. Substantially chearper than the marine
suppliers. The sink is domestic and while the photo shows the spout there was no hole for the spout. A 20mm hole was required to be drilled in the thin stainless steel
. A good trade
trick is to lay a strip of masking tape over the area to be drilled about twice the width of the area to be drilled. It is easier to mark the masking tape where the required hole is to go and it reduces the chances of the drill slipping on the stainless sink and scratching it accidentally
I admit that I am no shipwright but both Sue and I are well pleased with the reno and finished product. What should have been a very straight forward job turned into something bigger than Quo Vardis. If we had to employ a shipwright I would hate to think of what the final cost would have been. For anyone contemplating doing something similar I hope our adventure takes some of the mystery out of how the Lagoon
410 is put together. The last job is to put the fiddles back on but we are leaving that for a while and having a break from the work.
Greg and Sue