Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 19:05   #16

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Surprise when replacing galley sink top

Hello all,
well the thing that has really cheesed me off is that had the design and workmanship for later work (not lagoon but later persons unknown) had been better the wood would never had rotted in the first place.
I am now redesiging the sill under the main door to stop ingress of water in the future which should solve the timber rot issue. Not having a proper water seal at the base of a door is ridiculous. The silicon seal was not adequate and the aluminium cover does not go under the sill only abuts it.

Greg H
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 20:51   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good you, you're making it better than new!
Old 25-02-2016, 00:02   #18

Hello all,
latest update and everything is going back together. Its been a busy few days. The new galley top has four coats of two pak clear all over her including all the edges as well as any timber that has the remotest possibility of getting wet at some stage.
Today we were able to pick up the window/door sill after we had it sandblasted and powder coated. Came up like new, considering there were some minor areas of pitting in the alloy. With the sill back we were then able to correctly mearsure the final cuts to fit the timber fiddles which in the main were the curved corners to the same curve as the fiddle. That was nerve racking, one wrong cut and it was all back to square one .

With the top cut to correct size we then were able to play with the base supports for the door sill. There is some consideralble weight in the sliding door so I have strengthened the support timber and used a good quaility Tasmanian Oak. Having cut them to the correct size we did a dumby fitout which all came together quite well.

There was still an issue with how stop the water getting under the sill as the previous design was hopeless and part of the cause of the wet rot. I was able to source a Aluminium plate that was 40 wider than the previous plate. I rebated the timber supporting the sill which then allowed the new plate to sit under the sill at an angle towards the cockpit. I can now have a proper seal between the sill and the outer door frame and if it fails the extra width of the aluminium should force any water out into the cockpit instead of draining straight inside the boat. You can see the old aluminium strip and how narrow it was in the photo

So as of this afternoon everything is sitting where is should be we need to now seal, screw and varnish the new timber and one more coat of two pak for the galley top and then finally put the galley top cupboard back in.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Old 25-02-2016, 00:24   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

HUH! lots of work waiting for me down the track....
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 00:33   #20

Hi AL,
would it help if I told you Sue and I really enjoyed the challenge

Greg H
Old 25-02-2016, 00:38   #21

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi AL,
would it help if I told you Sue and I really enjoyed the challenge

Greg H
definitely ! Feel better already. My next large task is inspect the boat for the first time for any leakages anywhere and re bed what does not look perfect.

I already have smallish list of areas that require attention.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:54   #22

Hello all,
Finally have almost everything back in place. Just thought I would throw in some photos of the work that has been done but wont be seen.

In this photo you can see what is the new top support plate for the door sill. If you look closely you can see where I have rebated the section of timber that will now support the extra wide aluminium plate that covers the fibreglass step. The old one ended in line with the fibreglass. The timber was rebrated to allow the aluminium plate to slope towards the cockpit. Previously the metal only covered the fiberglass relying purely on the a silicon seal between the door sill frame and the aluminium strip. Now the there is a silicon seal between the fibreglass and timber.

As shown in the above photo the new aluminium strip will then cover this seal, FG step and timber giving far greater protection and should stop any ingress of water with a silicon seal being placed between the sill Aluminium strip. Any water should drain harmlessly into the cockpit drain. ( Well thats the plan )

One of the other items I did not really go into in depth was that to replace the galley you have to remove the cupboard on top of the bench top which then reveals that the bench top extends over the starboard hull forming part of the roof for the companionway. There is a false base in the cupboard which has to be removed to show a strengthening timber to assist the room retain strenght and stop it from drooping. The white ceiling liner is required to be removed to allow the bench top to be successfully removed as well as undoing several screws for supporting timbers inside the compainionway cupboard.

The below photo clearly shows the bench extending to form part of the companionway ceiling with the bench cupboard sitting on top.

The next photo is a bit fuzzy but it show the interior top inside the compainionway cupboard under the bench top. You can clearly see some of the securing points for the bench top. You can also see some of the new sink cut out and how it extended into the cupboard top but with no structural issues.

The old system relied on a peice of timber under the cupboard that was set above the bench top to face the front of the cupboard for a smail. It was a cheap nasty peice of ply laminate. It required replacement so I cut a peice of Tasmanian Oak to size and cut the radius to match the cupboard. It was stained with Baltic Pine stain then varnished and I am reasonably satifised with the finish.

I wont bore you much more except for this final photo. It shows the new taps we installed. The flixmixer is a standard domestic tap rated to 7.5 litres per minute. Substantially chearper than the marine suppliers. The sink is domestic and while the photo shows the spout there was no hole for the spout. A 20mm hole was required to be drilled in the thin stainless steel. A good trade trick is to lay a strip of masking tape over the area to be drilled about twice the width of the area to be drilled. It is easier to mark the masking tape where the required hole is to go and it reduces the chances of the drill slipping on the stainless sink and scratching it accidentally

I admit that I am no shipwright but both Sue and I are well pleased with the reno and finished product. What should have been a very straight forward job turned into something bigger than Quo Vardis. If we had to employ a shipwright I would hate to think of what the final cost would have been. For anyone contemplating doing something similar I hope our adventure takes some of the mystery out of how the Lagoon 410 is put together. The last job is to put the fiddles back on but we are leaving that for a while and having a break from the work.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Lagoon 410S2
Old 28-02-2016, 14:25   #23

A bit of a slog but you both should be well pleased with your results. Now is a good time to grab a drink and admire your work for a week or two.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley