Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2018, 22:01   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Sub woofer on Lagoon 450

Greetings to all! Can any one suggest where to best install a fusion sub woofer?
Cheers
Euge
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 05:03   #2

Re: Sub woofer on Lagoon 450

Mine is a Bose subwoofer and it is under the seat in the salon, the one in the corner facing out to the cockpit.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 12:16   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

I'm thinking he means an 'outdoor' sub. I had the 10" Fusion sub and the class d fusion amp on our motor boat. It's a serious sound system but that was a full blown party boat and I've not found any anchorage yet where we'd get away with that kind of volume.

But, if you do want one, I think you could fit it under the port side cock pit seating.
Old 26-05-2018, 21:08   #4

Thanks Blackduck and daveindubai! It is a serious sound system and not too many places where it will fit.
Cheers
Euge
Old 27-05-2018, 05:12   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Considering how the noise from that thing will carry through the water, it will not make you very popular in any anchorage, to say nothing of the dreadful effect it will have on sound dependent sea life such as Dolphins. Perhaps Bose Earphone headsets might be a wiser, more considerate, option, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 22:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Considering how the noise from that thing will carry through the water, it will not make you very popular in any anchorage, to say nothing of the dreadful effect it will have on sound dependent sea life such as Dolphins. Perhaps Bose Earphone headsets might be a wiser, more considerate, option, eh?

Very presumptuous of you to think that we would have no respect for fellow boaters! The woofer improves quality of sound and contrary to your assumption does not have to be played at an offensive level.
We have now installed the woofer in a mobile box and I can tell you it was well worth the effort.
Ps. Here in the med there is very little regard by charterers to how close they can park to you, it is very effective to play some mother f....... rap to make them move!
Happy sailing!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:33   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Euge--

I make no presumptions on your deportment. The problem with such equipment is the frequencies of the sound as much as the volume. Low and very low frequency sound travels through water extremely well and for a very long way thanks to the incompressability of the medium. One often "feels" the sound as much as hears it and the "pounding" can be unendurable for some. Distance off doesn't seem to make much difference because of the low attenuation of the water at such levels.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:28   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I agree with svHyLite.

If you want to do an experiment, take a couple of grapefuit sized rocks and clank them together in the air.
Next, take them into the water with you. Put your head underwater and clank them together again with the same force as before.

Next, come out of the water and take a pain reliever for your earaches.

This is not a joke.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:14   #9

Boat: L42

Well I'm convinced! I definitely will not be putting a sub-woofer underwater

In all honesty I WILL have a sub in my cabin and it will not be kept loud enough for others to notice. I have had several and never been able to hear them when in the water or even in the dingy next to the boat, even when my kids were young and kept the volume way too high!

Lighten up guys
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 14:11   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A 10”or so Sub, isn’t really a Sub.
Simple physics, it takes a considerably larger cone to produce subsonic sounds with realistic excursion limits.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:43   #11

Boat: 450S

If subsonic sounds exist but no one can hear them...do they exist? Ponder that I will... (sorry slow day on deck)
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:18   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, yes they exist, you feel them.
A good Home Theater system will have about a 26” Sub and about 1000W to power it.
Mine was our coffee table, I put a glass cover on it to make it a table.

Years ago I designed one that I never built, it was a Sub inside of a larger box with several inches of sand to dampen any secondary cabinet rattle.

When I’m done with the Boat thing, I will likely finally get myself a pair of Klipschorns.
Old 10-06-2018, 23:39   #13

Boat: 450S

Thanks, I was suggesting that a pressure wave that is subsonic, ie slower than the local speed of sound cannot actually be sound. I'm no audio phobe but always understood "sub" to mean sub bass sound on the freq scale. Move the furniture type stuff. I'm definitely going to get one of these to clear a mooring space. Might work better than putting 'Sunsail' on my sail bag...
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:33   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sub in this case isn’t low speed, it’s low frequency, generally 20 Hz is the lowest a human can hear, low frequency sounds are not directional either, you can’t tell where they are coming from, so placement isn’t as critical for a sub.
Just due to physics, low frequencies require massive drivers and a lot of power to produce, the smaller the driver, the more excursion is required.
Excursion is the distance the speaker cone has to move, the bigger the speaker, the less it has to move to produce the same frequency, this is what drives such big speakers for subs, it’s not to be loud.
In fact accuracy is far more important to an audiophile than sound level.
Speaker efficiency drives power requirements, is fact some very good speakers are very efficient, the Klipschorns can be driven with only a few watts, less than 10 as long as it’s clean power and sound wonderful.
Cheap speakers can be very inefficient, and for many years the power handling ability of a speaker has been mis construed to quality, so many speakers have been made to be deliberately inefficient so that they can claim to handle massive power, cause everybody knows high power Stereo is quality right? Everybody brags on their power output, but a good stereo can be driven very well on 10 Watts.

Tags
lagoon